The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-28-2020, 01:07 PM

Default National M1 vs. Jazz Blues

Anybody have experience with both? I know they are very different beeing a Tri vs. Single cone. The M1 has a Gibson mini hum installed and is quite recent, the Jazz Blues a Highlander and is from the early 90’s. Right now I play a Michael Messer Lightning, like a Style O, with a Lace Slim pickup that is nice but I would like to upgrade. What would you consider as a nice all-around Reso? Mainly playing slide on it...
Old 01-30-2020, 04:56 PM

I haven't played a Jazz Blues, but have played a number of more recent wood-bodied NRP guitars.
Single cones speak to me more, that's kind of a personal preference, so I'd try out the Jazz Blues, especially as there aren't many around.
M1 tricones may be nice, sure, but give the single cone a try. And a Highlander is a good thing to have in case you want to play out.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:07 PM

Apples and oranges. M1 is a tricone and the Jazz Blues is basically the same as a Radiotone, which is a single cone. Lots of examples on youtube for the radiotone.

The M1 is going to frankly sound prettier. Sweet harmonics, tons of smoothness, sustain.

The jazz blues is going to be punchy as all get out. I'll be blunt here. Strident tone capable of, though not necessarily, leaning towards harshness. The harmonics, and there will be a ton, do not always play nicely together. I've owned and still own a number of Nationals. The radiotone was the only one that I wore earplugs with. String selection is critical. I'd go Martin Monel.

You can play anything on anything. But in general the more versatile guitar is going to be tricone. The need for muting unplayed strings is much more important on the singlecone.

My opinion: If you want an all around guitar, go tricone.

Get the singlecone if you play a lot of early American music. Blues, Ragtime, Early Jazz. Stuff that you want a lot punch and don't want a lot of sustaining notes getting in the way of the following notes.

Both will do a good job playing anything you would play on an archtop. But the singlecone will be more demanding to control your tone.

The wood resorocket is a nice compromise, bringing some of the best from both camps. I really like that one for my style, possibly even more than the M1. As it stands I have a german silver tricone (modern) and a brass singlecone (modern as well). I'd love a wooden one for the comfort and convenience, but I'm not looking to spend money unnecessarily.

If you're looking at used it may be a while before you see a wood resorocket
Old 03-23-2020, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

+1 on the Wooden Resorocket. A great all round resonator guitar.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:15 PM

Not mine. It has a metal soundwell, unlike the current M2 types. This is like the Jazz Blues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rad....c100010.m2109

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments