The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-24-2020, 05:44 PM

Default NGD: Custom build from LeMaster guitars.

Hey all.

I posted this on the offsetguitars forum, but I thought you guys might dig it too and I wanted to contribute to the forum for once. I’ve been working with a local luthier, that being Dan LeMaster of LeMaster guitars, on this idea for about a year and I’ve just recently gotten to finally play her.

I’ve decided to call her Calliope.

I have a disability affecting my arms and legs that makes playing a “regular acoustic” somewhat uncomfortable and awkward. Both in terms of ergonomics and tuning. The idea behind this design was to try and mitigate those factors as much as possible. To that end, it has a 24-25.5 inch scale length in order to work with the tuning (CGCEG#B) that I use, locking string clipping tuners, an end wedge, and a waist that is offset enough to be comfortable to play seated as I do, but not be too wonky looking.

The top is sinker redwood, the sides and back are cocobolo and the bridge as well as fretboard are zircote.

I’m very bad at verbally describing sounds, but I’ll say that it sounds very good, and especially big for how small it is.
Anyway, thanks for looking everybody. It’s my first acoustic and I was stoked to share.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:18 PM

Fantastic looking instrument - I hope you have many years of fun with it! That's a very strange tuning though - at least to me. It seems like it would be close to a baritone tuning, but the scale is on the short side for that. Not that it matters: if it suits your needs it's perfect. And it's really pretty!
Old 01-24-2020, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Nice looking guitar. Is it a lefty, or is that cutaway part of the accommodation to your playing issues?

Steve
Old 01-24-2020, 07:28 PM

Such a cool idea, to get exactly what you need to make playing guitar easier and enjoyable. The woods are gorgeous. Congratulations.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 01-24-2020, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
Nice looking guitar. Is it a lefty, or is that cutaway part of the accommodation to your playing issues?

Steve
She is indeed a lefty. That was another factor in my choosing to go the custom route. I live about three hours from the nearest guitar center, and the smaller shops near me never had any lefties of a manageable size for me. Plus, working with someone local to get something handmade is way better than getting something from a factory in my opinion, regardless of cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Fantastic looking instrument - I hope you have many years of fun with it! That's a very strange tuning though - at least to me. It seems like it would be close to a baritone tuning, but the scale is on the short side for that. Not that it matters: if it suits your needs it's perfect. And it's really pretty!
The tuning is indeed a bit weird. Thing is, I only have use of my first two fingers and thumb on my fretting hand, so I developed this tuning so that in order to play a Dm7 chord for instance, I just bar the first three strings on the first fret, and then wrap my thumb around to bar the thicker strings on the second. Then to make that major7 I can just move my thumb down to sharpen the flat 3rd, and then use my second finger to fret the first string one fret up, or not use it at all for a dominant7. Hope that makes sense.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:10 PM

Congrats....that’s a beauty!

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 01-25-2020, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Wow! what a unique beauty. I'd be tempted to put it in a display case and just look at it. The fact that it likely plays and sounds wonderful is a bonus. Enjoy and thanks for sharing it with us.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:48 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Pretty geetar. Glad you found something that resolves some of your playing difficulties.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop