The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-18-2020, 09:03 PM

I agree with slewis. Get a nice tube amp and also get a inexpensive headphone amp. like a Vox They typically plug directly into the guitar and are much more portable than running a headphone cable into an amp:

https://voxamps.com/series/headphone-amps/
Old 01-18-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I'm not ready to buy a new amp but I am looking forward to my first $500 amp in the coming months...At this point I have 3 amps on my radar: Fender Blues Junior, Fender Super Champ x2 and a Bugera V22 Infinium. I don't think any of the 3 have either a headphone jack or an output jack...

Any solution to this?? If not, throw me some links to amps that do have an output or a headphone jack. I don't understand...
Speaking as the owner of a first-edition "blue-light" Bugera V22, IME you're not going to find a better combination of tone/power/construction/features for anything near the price (yes, I've played the BJ and Super Champ) - think something more akin to the SuperSonic 22 with a British accent (in stock form) - and you'd be remiss if you didn't at least give it an audition before making your final decision...

I'm also the owner of a V5 Infinium combo that serves as my band-practice/coffeehouse gig amp: two-tube old-school Class-A circuit with a pre-Top Boost Vox tonal vibe, built-in attenuator, and headphone out (as you said, very unusual in an all-tube amp)...

My thoughts: kill two birds with one stone - Sweetwater currently has the V22 and V5 listed for $399 and $199 respectively, and IME you should be able to negotiate a package deal that'll get you close to your $500 price point for both amps; if you're a serious electric player (or plan to be) you will need a low-power combo sooner than later, the V22 will take you from the bedroom (powers down to a very manageable 15W) to a 600-700 seat hall or large club clean as you need or dirty as you want - and unless you're playing outdoor gigs or 1200+ seat houses you may never need another stage amp...
Old 01-18-2020, 09:44 PM

To the Op: I think Steve has provided the answer right there: the Bugera V5 Infinium - sure looks like a sweet little amp - I don’t see Bugera in my local shops, unfortunately - undoubtedly they would blow the competition (Fender) out of the water for price/ value. My Pro Junior, Blues Junior, Bassbreaker 007 - none have a headphone jack.
Old 01-19-2020, 02:21 PM

If you are willing to spend another 120$ on a dummy load box to insert between amp and speaker they usually come with a headphone socket, and with the added benefit of being able to overdrive your tube amp at bedroom levels

Here’s an example

https://www.tedweber.com/ha-50
Old 01-19-2020, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Thanks for that post. I understand most of it. "headphones into a tube amp is complex."
To really simplify it tubes want see a load like a speaker provides and Headphones do not provide that. ]

Not so much that it is complex, as it just was not done much in the past . (But that is changing) . For example My REVV D20 tube amp head, has a built in speaker load option that I can engage and use head phones from the HP jack

Also as noted there are (dummy boxes) which provide the speaker load the tubes want to see and transform the signal from the tube amp speaker output jack to a HP type load .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars