The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-09-2020, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up book review :The Birth of Loud

I love histories that weave the chronological story of products and technologies.

For example, the best one I ever read was called "Engines of the Mind" which is a phenomenal story of the history of computing. It tells a story that really no one understands or thinks about and illustrates how it's not one instant invention but a glacially-slow evolution (in that case over, yes, hundreds of years). Ask someone who invented computers or even "software" and there is a 99% chance you will get famous popular names but the wrong answers. And in these stories are deception, competition and human drama making the myths even more misleading.

As the saying goes "History is written by the winners" and that is so true when it comes to electric guitars.

My wife bought me this book for Christmas:

The opening pages were a bit sluggish and I was afraid I didn't like the writing style. Part of that was because of the immediate discomfort I felt that the history I thought was deliberately wrong. So I was defensive, at first, thinking "this can't be!"

But then, after about half of a chapter, I got hooked on the real story.

I took the book on vacation and picked it up every chance I could. That's not my reading style - even my wife and kids commented about how voraciously I was reading this book.

I won't give out any spoilers .

I will say that the writing is excellent - it's like a good historical fiction story, except it's not fiction. It's even a bit of a dramatic page-turner.

I found that I actually didn't even like the main characters - they were flawed humans, whose behaviors were mostly selfish and/or awkward.......in other words "human".

That was a powerful part of this story: to see the flaws and inadequacies of the iconic people and their products.

Again, I am avoiding details because I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

If you like the type of history I described above and you like guitars (not just acoustics), then I strongly encourage you to read this book.

I didn't like the story and the behaviors and the way credit was doled out. But I loved the book, and the way it told that story - truthfully and without the mythology we inaccurately apply.

Great, great, great book!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-09-2020, 05:01 PM

Somehow , I figure that a book titled " The Birth of Loud " , should be about amp manufacturers more than guitar builders or players .
Of course , Leo Fender should be included in that book .
Old 01-09-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
...Of course, Leo Fender should be included in that book...
From an amp standpoint, it would be remiss to neglect the contributions of Nat Daniel (Epiphone/Danelectro) and Everett Hull (Ampeg) - contemporaries of Leo Fender who, while not as well-known to the average player, were also highly influential in the postwar development of the American electric guitar amplifier - as well as the team of Tom Jennings/Dick Denney (Vox) and Jim Marshall, who would pioneer a distinctly "British" school of amplification in the early-60's which, by decade's end, forever redefined the sound of rock music...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 01-09-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:08 PM

I've heard great things about that book, Fazool. Thanks for your thread. It's a book on my list.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the reminder of this book (I haven’t read it yet) - particularly appealing is your critical impression of the characters involved and portrayed in the realistic context of the American entrepreneur of the 20th century - will be of interest to gearheads like myself, and along the way I’m sure from your review it sounds like good literature on a deeper level.
Old 01-10-2020, 06:10 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Yep. my wife got me that book for Christmas and it is in the que. Right now I'm wrapping up Earnest K. Gann's, Fate is the Hunter, which my son bought me for Christmas. It has been an interesting ride!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-10-2020, 06:17 AM

I may have to get me a copy of that book, sounds interesting!

About a year ago I read a similar book that was good as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Play-Loud-His...29823228&psc=1
Old 01-10-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Somehow , I figure that a book titled " The Birth of Loud " , should be about amp manufacturers more than guitar builders or players .
Well that is a good point to consider . Not to mention that (If I remember correctly) I believe it was the first Beatles US tour that more or less demonstrated that the combo guitar amps by themselves not mic'ed they were using (and the PA as well) were not sufficient to overcome the multitude of screaming girls that literally drowned out the music in a stadium setting. And arguably launched the march to multi stack head and speaker cabs and now the massive large venue line array systems of today.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-10-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Don't worry, Leo is one of the two main characters in the book.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 01-10-2020, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Yep. my wife got me that book for Christmas and it is in the que. Right now I'm wrapping up Earnest K. Gann's, Fate is the Hunter, which my son bought me for Christmas. It has been an interesting ride!

Bob
Gann was my favorite aviation writer. I read him in my youth, and I've been re-reading him lately.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 01-10-2020, 12:34 PM

Thanks for the recommendation, think I will check it out.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the reminder about this one. I'd forgotten about it and am happy to say my local library had a copy that I'll be picking up later today.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:00 PM

I read it in an afternoon. Filled in a few gaps. Worth it.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Don't worry, Leo is one of the two main characters in the book.
I understand this very clearly .
Irony , which I do love , shows us that neither Leo or Les were on the quest for loud . They were playing , at least Les was , in the early electric Jazz era . Clarity and purity were the goals at the onset of their presence .
Loud morphed from their outside of their initiative . They , at least Leo did , simply followed suit once the race began .
Old 01-10-2020, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Yep - I liked it a lot!

Got to where I didn't want it to end... very unusual for me when reading non-fiction!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars