The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-27-2020, 06:32 PM

Default Holocaust film

Hi folks.....I learned that today is Holocaust remembrance day and happened to catch a History Channel presentation last night. It was amazing....called "Auschwitz-Untold".
In all the films I've seen over the years, I've never heard some of these stories. After beginning with with an overview, the film concentrates on the children of the camps....who are now quite old, but able to recall and testify to the things they experienced as young children while in many cases losing their entire families and extended families. Their survival in some cases due to smart thinking or just pure luck, but always with the help from others in the camp.
Watched again with my wife today......amazing, sad, hopeful, riveting, heartbreaking.. all encompassing. Much of the film has been colorized......bringing it so much closer to the reality which occurred those many years ago.
If you can find it, DVR, on demand or other option it's well worth seeing. Yes, there are difficult scenes in there, but this is a story to keep alive in history.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Last edited by islandguitar; 01-27-2020 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 07:49 PM

Default Film

Agreed,it stirred a lot of thoughts within me.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:17 PM

The sheer numbers involved in WW2 are staggering.

I saw this a while back, and it was (IMHO) really illuminating. It's not political, but just a parsing of data, laid out in a way that really shows the scale:

https://vimeo.com/128373915
Old 01-28-2020, 01:25 PM

We saw a recently made holocaust related film that was outstanding as well. For anyone who might be interested, it is called ‘you only die twice’. Made in Austria and it was shown at the Austrian Embassy.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 01-28-2020, 03:17 PM

I met a lady a few years ago who (along with her twin sister) was experimented upon by Dr. Mengele. Her stories were hair raising and something I will never forget. It would be comical to say these things never happened if it weren't so sad. Yet people persist in denying the facts. Good that films like this which feature actual victims exist to remind us.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I spent ten years studying the Third Reich and that was enough for me. But it is certainly a story that should be known and never forgotten so that it will never be repeated.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:22 PM

Watching the recent BBC programme remembering the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, it was heartening to see some of those who survived it revisiting the site. How they survived it is indeed a wonder, but that some of them in their 90s looked so fit, it was a great example of the spirit of man. I visited Auschwitz a number of years ago and it was quite sobering. However, Birkenau, where they were brought in and "sorted" was a lot more disconcerting. If anyone is in London and interested in this era, I suggest the exhibit on the fourth floor of the Imperial War Museum (the original museum near the Elephant & Castle). It does carry a 14+ age recommendation, though.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:02 PM

Saw it.

I just visited Terezin (Theresienstadt), where a bunch of my relatives perished. I say any more about it here and the mods will likely throw me off....(for good reason).
Old 01-29-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
The sheer numbers involved in WW2 are staggering.

I saw this a while back, and it was (IMHO) really illuminating. It's not political, but just a parsing of data, laid out in a way that really shows the scale:

https://vimeo.com/128373915
After watching that video, I was emptied for several hours. The depth and scale of human loss and suffering is something I'm not able to grasp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic