The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-22-2020, 10:49 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I know John wants to audition the Sexauer I have coming late March. Maybe we can try a meet-up in April.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
I've had the house full during the holidays and also for the big one year Korean Dol celebration for my daughter. Haven't had too much time for guitars!

This MDW is pretty incredible. The tone is simply breathtaking and extremely open and super resonant. I'm looking forward to sharing comparison pics and videos soon when things calm down!

Some outside pics!
Attachment 31468Attachment 31469Attachment 31470Attachment 31471Attachment 31472

Congratulations for such a nice build and new Kostal guitar.

How do you compare the Kostal collection.

I do think that it could be really interesting to understand the evolution of Jason's work and your preferences too. You are an experienced guitarist and I would like to ask you the way you use the different models as they are build using the holy grayl same wood combo (Braz/spruce),

Thanks and congratulations again. Wooww
Old 02-01-2020, 04:42 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Did you get a manzer wedge for this one? I'm considering it.

One other question: Now that you have two 14 fretters and one 12 fretter, do you hear a difference in the tone of the MDW? Inquiring minds want to know of course so I can make sure I'm going with the design I'll like the most....

Last edited by CoolerKing; 02-02-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I know John wants to audition the Sexauer I have coming late March. Maybe we can try a meet-up in April.
can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikie View Post
I do think that it could be really interesting to understand the evolution of Jason's work and your preferences too. You are an experienced guitarist and I would like to ask you the way you use the different models as they are build using the holy grayl same wood combo (Braz/spruce)
I'll try to get a comprehensive comparison with video as well. Time has been super busy with the toddler and baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Did you get a manzer wedge for this one? I'm considering it.

One other question: Now that you have two 14 fretters and one 12 fretter, do you hear a difference in the tone of the MDW? Inquiring minds want to know of course so I can make sure I'm going with the design I'll like the most....
You just need to come up again and play it! I believe mine is Jason's first MDW with a wedge. I do like it and it makes it feel like smaller (already small) and more comfortable.

I do love the 12th fret design. I'm not sure how much of the already openess of the guitar comes from shifting the bridge back a bit. I do love it!

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 02-26-2020, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Well I wanted to wait until the honeymoon phase was over before gushing too much about this guitar. I received it about 2 months ago and cannot stop playing this guitar. Right now, it is my "go to" guitar and I love everything about it. A friend of mine who has a Madagascar Kostal Mod D thinks its my best Kostal yet. Another friend who has played many high end guitars says this one is certainly very musical.

The best way I can describe it at this point is its like my Mod D and my OM had a baby. Tonewise, I think it is more like the Mod D and size/comfort wise its more like the OM. I do really enjoy the 12th fret and how it makes my fretting arm closer to the body of the guitar. Very comfortable!

I'll try to get some more words together and try to articulate the tone of this thing. Videos coming soon and a few comparisons between different years and different models

Old 02-26-2020, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

It is so wonderful that you are enjoying your latest Kostal. Great that you have the 12 fret option now. I love my Wingert 12 fret. I look forward to the comparison video but in light of your caring for a toddler and a baby, I'll be patient.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-26-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
It is so wonderful that you are enjoying your latest Kostal. Great that you have the 12 fret option now. I love my Wingert 12 fret. I look forward to the comparison video but in light of your caring for a toddler and a baby, I'll be patient.

Best,
Jayne
The toddler and 1 year old are certainly the challenge! But they are also the joy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop