The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-14-2024, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
Maybe this is the future and some potential hope given to the fearful:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ly-study-finds
A lot will depend on how reliable it is. If the false positive rate is not negligible, it’s not a lot better than Cologuard. From the article:

Dr. Barbara Jung, president of the American Gastroenterological Association says the test could help improve early detection of colorectal cancer.

"I do think having a blood draw versus undergoing an invasive test will reach more people, " she says. "My hope is that with more tools we can reach more people."

But even if the blood test is approved, it will not replace the dreaded colonoscopy. "If the test is positive, the next step will be a colonoscopy," Jung says. That's because a colonoscopy can detect precancerous lesions – called polyps.

"And when you find those, you can also remove them, which in turn prevents the cancer from forming," Jung says.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-14-2024, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Maybe this is the future and some potential hope given to the fearful:

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...ly-study-finds
BUT it says that the next step after a positive test result is a colonoscopy. Hopefully the results have a better margin of error than the cologuard, but if one wants to be truly proactive, I don't think we have a better option than a scope every however many years as recommended by what is found.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
A lot will depend on how reliable it is. If the false positive rate is not negligible, it’s not a lot better than Cologuard. From the article:

Dr. Barbara Jung, president of the American Gastroenterological Association says the test could help improve early detection of colorectal cancer.

"I do think having a blood draw versus undergoing an invasive test will reach more people, " she says. "My hope is that with more tools we can reach more people."

But even if the blood test is approved, it will not replace the dreaded colonoscopy. "If the test is positive, the next step will be a colonoscopy," Jung says. That's because a colonoscopy can detect precancerous lesions – called polyps.

"And when you find those, you can also remove them, which in turn prevents the cancer from forming," Jung says.

You should have quoted the other part of the article where they said it was 83% effective. Cologuard tests are roughly half of that. Actual colonoscopy? About 95% (depending on the skill of your Dr I'd imagine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
BUT it says that the next step after a positive test result is a colonoscopy. Hopefully the results have a better margin of error than the cologuard, but if one wants to be truly proactive, I don't think we have a better option than a scope every however many years as recommended by what is found.

Asked and answered in the article I posted (and in my comment just above this quote).
Old 03-14-2024, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You should have quoted the other part of the article where they said it was 83% effective. Cologuard tests are roughly half of that. Actual colonoscopy? About 95% (depending on the skill of your Dr I'd imagine).
You’re correct - I should have mentioned that. It doesn’t do much to change my opinion that I’d prefer to just go straight for the colonoscopy than take a test that has a 1 in 6 chance of missing something altogether, and even if positive, would require the colonoscopy as the next step anyway.

Your opinion may differ, of course.
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-14-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
You’re correct - I should have mentioned that. It doesn’t do much to change my opinion that I’d prefer to just go straight for the colonoscopy than take a test that has a 1 in 6 chance of missing something altogether, and even if positive, would require the colonoscopy as the next step anyway.

Your opinion may differ, of course.
No. My opinion is as yours. I have gotten these for years due to genetic risk factors (in my family almost a cancer guarantee actually). I don't find them exceptionally disruptive or scary. I have seen what happens to someone who doesn't get them and to those that do. The former situation is NOT a pretty one while that latter is completely survivable. However, for those that put off the full test it is clearly better than the Cologuard which is basically a medical scam.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No. My opinion is as yours. I have gotten these for years due to genetic risk factors (in my family almost a cancer guarantee actually). I don't find them exceptionally disruptive or scary. I have seen what happens to someone who doesn't get them and to those that do. The former situation is NOT a pretty one while that latter is completely survivable. However, for those that put off the full test it is clearly better than the Cologuard which is basically a medical scam.
Got it - I understand and concur.
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-14-2024, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

It’s routine during a colonoscopy for the doc to shave polyps. They may be harmless but as they grow, not so much.

One might argue that colonoscopies prevent cancer as well as screen. Not so, cologuard.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-15-2024, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I agree 100%. Cologuard is just capitalizing on people that want an "easier" alternative to a colonoscopy. The only "hard" part is the prep which is basically a very light diet for a few days and then you clean out your system. Its more of a hassle than anything...not painful at all. After you've had one you will immediately think how dumb you were for putting it off.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Anyone who is reading this, I beg you to get regular colonoscopies.

I have seen both sides of the equation up very, very close (lives lost, lives saved). Other than perhaps not smoking this may be the single most important thing you can do for yourself and your loved ones. Colon cancer is not a good way to leave this world......

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic