The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-28-2024, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

I've gotten into listening to books on CD during my daily drive to my swim club. My '16 Honda CRV has a built-in CD player, and that's probably the main reason that I hope to keep it for a long time...
Old 02-28-2024, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

- 100% cotton non-stretch clothing (t-shirts, jeans, shorts)
- Microsoft Office 2007 (can't install it on Windows 11)
- Levis in odd-numbered lengths
- Asics Gel Venture 5 shoes (newer models 6, 7, 8 etc. are just not as comfy)
- Powersox (by Gold Toe) Boot Socks (thick merino wool ankle-high)
- Racquetball courts
- Tom Wolfe books

I miss them all sorely.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-28-2024 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've gotten into listening to books on CD during my daily drive to my swim club. My '16 Honda CRV has a built-in CD player, and that's probably the main reason that I hope to keep it for a long time...
This might be an easy solution...

I started listening to audiobooks on my smartphone back in 2015-16 or so. As a member of two medium-large metro library systems, there are very few titles I've been unable to access (all for free). I recommended some they didn't have, and they showed up on my feed within a month or two.

Plowed through several hundred books so far, probably 500-600 that I never would've taken the time to sit still and read.

Libby is the app. Good luck.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Hi Fazool (et al) Sorry to learn that you are exhibiting signs of the Grumpy old man syndrome!

I, myself have exhibited signs.
I pay a fortune for multi channel TV. My wife chooses what we watch uhtil she goes to bed at 10.30.
Aha! The TV world is mine!
Ahh - but it is noisy kids comedy programmes or shoot'em up nonsense, so unless there's a "Good" movie (i.e. over 20 years old) it wil have no interest for me (I have no interest in drug dealers, or gangsters - why would I watch characters that I would aviod in real life?

Like the other guys (OK I forget names) I have a 2014 Hnoda CRV. - it's fine. The Satnav is now hopelessly out of date, and it's thirsty, but it's comfortable.
I dropped into the Honda dealer yesterday, hoping to sneak in and out without being seen. He saw me - wants me to buy a Hybrid! With my mileage now I should buy a Nissan Leaf - Eugh!

Why do tech things keep getting updated?
(I've just scrapped my "ring" doorbell because it needs an Alexa !! - enough already.

Hmphh! - old man exits stage left grumbling under his breath!
Old 02-28-2024, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
This might be an easy solution...

I started listening to audiobooks on my smartphone back in 2015-16 or so. As a member of two medium-large metro library systems, there are very few titles I've been unable to access (all for free). I recommended some they didn't have, and they showed up on my feed within a month or two.

Plowed through several hundred books so far, probably 500-600 that I never would've taken the time to sit still and read.

Libby is the app. Good luck.
And then you can get tracked by the kind folks at the corporation that runs Libby. This, as opposed to actual physical checkouts from your local library which records are deleted upon item return. Just another way to (help) keep the spies out of your life and also away from governmental prying eyes. Your welcome.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

You again...
Old 02-28-2024, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk2Me View Post
And then you can get tracked by the kind folks at the corporation that runs Libby. This, as opposed to actual physical checkouts from your local library which records are deleted upon item return. Just another way to (help) keep the spies out of your life and also away from governmental prying eyes. Your welcome.
You again...

It would be glib to say I couldn't care less who tracks my audiobooks or why. Truth be known, I hope Libby does track me and adds more titles that I like:
- Science
- History
- Non-fiction mystery/murder
- Mindfulness
- Biographies and autobiographies of famous musicians (dozens so far, and fascinating)
- Fun novels

I was (hopefully) helping a fellow-AGFer find a workable solution to the impending obsolescence of his beloved books on CDs.

Something I'd like to see become obsolete is spinning topics to suit irrelevant personal agendas.

Back to the topic du jour, I also miss seeing El Pollo Loco and Rubio's Fish Tacos here in the Pacific NW.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-28-2024 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 03:45 PM

Quote:
You again...

It would be glib to say I couldn't care less who tracks my audiobooks or why. Truth be known, I hope Libby does, track me and adds more titles that I like:
- Science
- History
- Non-fiction mystery/murder
- Mindfulness
- Biographies and autobiographies of famous musicians (dozens so far, and fascinating)
- Fun novels
Yes me. The person who needs to let people know when their right to privacy is being circumvented. Sorry if that's not an important one to you individually. It very well could be if the company and/or govt decides what you read is "problematic".
Not just glib I'm afraid. This is reality. Sticking your head in the sand won't help.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes me. The person who needs to let people know when their right to privacy is being circumvented. Sorry if that's not an important one to you individually. It very well could be if the company and/or govt decides what you read is "problematic".
Not just glib I'm afraid. This is reality. Sticking your head in the sand won't help.
Please move your agenda to an appropriate forum elsewhere.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-28-2024 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Please move your agenda to an appropriate forum elsewhere.
I have no agenda other than to let people know the facts about a common loophole in the library styatem. Belief that it's anything else is simply misplaced.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:32 AM

Quote:
I'm with tinnitus not at all worried if others know that I really like behavioral economics, science, DIY topics and history. What always makes me curious for how some are with the concerns is why most still drive cars.

Reading through the posts same time I'm in a wonderful book on aging has helped me know my brain has reached the age where most of us are better with perspective.

Closer to topic, not liking how so much clothing has become too full cut plus expensive, I was thrilled to find new casual snap/button shirts on sale at the I-70 Pearl Izumi store. I should have bought one in each color.

Old 03-01-2024, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I'm with tinnitus not at all worried if others know that I really like behavioral economics, science, DIY topics and history. ....
My wife has a great saying......people talk about the government tracking them online and she says "they will be really bored if they track me....I dont care - I dont do anything worth watching"

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-01-2024, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
My wife has a great saying......people talk about the government tracking them online and she says "they will be really bored if they track me....I dont care - I dont do anything worth watching"
Until someone decides it is. Times change, people change and priorities change. When they do its easy for things that meant nothing before to mean a lot. Even if they don't I suppose you don't care about privacy at all. There's NOTHING you'd rather keep private? Highly unlikely for humans. I wish you all luck.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I'm the same way with shoes. They keep on changing them, and it's very hard to find any that fit my 14W consistently.
When my feet stopped growing (high school, c.56-58 years ago), they settled in at 12AA. Yep. Skinny thangs. Each year, my mom managed to find/special-order some in that actual size, mainly dress shoes (I used the previous year's pair as everyday shoes...seldom owned more than three pair total), through a friendly local shoe shop. But once I hit college and into my early working years, the narrowest I seemed to find were 12B, and even those were rare. Boots and athletic shoes? Forget it.

For several decades, I've made do with whatever I could find with the addition of after-market insoles. I don't think I've bought new dress shoes in the last 15 years...take care of the 4 or 5 pairs I have and never wear 'em enough to wear 'em out. About 95% of the time, now that I'm retired, I wear running shoes, a pair of "slip-on" Nikes (man, I love those), or whatever cushy Topsider wannabe shoes I can find at Costco or the shoe outlet.

But in keeping with the theme of this thread, I have to think back many years to what I wore before you couldn't get them any more: desert boots, Dingos (square-toe harness boots), Roots and Earth Shoes (negative heel styles), and 19-cent flip-flops. Still wear flip-flops, but they ain't 19 cents these days.

Cheers.
Dirk
Old 03-02-2024, 06:08 AM
Charter Member

The golf industry is especially famous for this. Every year, the big brands introduce a new driver guaranteed to add 15 yards off the tee and make your last year's driver obsolete.

Last year I bought a 2-year old Cobra driver off of Craigslist. Thought I'd try all of this "new" technology being built into these clubs. Did it do anything for my game? No, it did not. By the end of the season I went back to my trusty 12-year old Cobra.

I watch a lot of golf on TV, and the commercials are ridiculous in what they promise. But I guess many guys have to have the latest/greatest, and buy into the hype.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic