The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-22-2020, 01:22 PM

Default Whole Grain foods

What kind of whole grain foods do you eat? What made you change from non-whole grain?

Cereal - first ingredient is a whole grain
Bread

I've bought whole grain pasta before but I can't recall if I didn't like it because of the taste or texture.

Your thoughts?
Old 07-22-2020, 02:25 PM

I eat very little grains at all! I’m not going into the specifics but I’ve done my research.....since changing my WAY of eating...lifestyle my health is much better. Last I went to the Doctor they asked what in the world was I doing? Because ALL of my markers were WHERE they SHOULD be!☺️
Old 07-22-2020, 02:29 PM

I dropped sugar, HFCS, fast foods, store-bought processed foods, and white rice and wheat around 10 year ago for health reasons.

I even mill my own wheat flour from wheat kernels while I'm making the bread.
It tastes better and is more nutritious than whole wheat sold in stores.
To extend shelf life they have to remove some parts of the wheat kernel, so it's not really whole wheat.

If I mill wheat into flour (true whole wheat flour) it starts going bad after just a few days.
But sure, store bought whole wheat flour and products are better for you than white flour.

One reason is the how processed foods make your blood sugar spike.
Whole grains have more dietary fiber which slows down the spike in blood sugar, even if they have the same carbs.
Over the long term this may prevent many cases of adult-onset type2 diabetes.

Last edited by Tico; 07-22-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

I can't eat many whole grains. If I eat a salad for lunch more than three days in a row I end up spending way to much time in the bathroom. And, no, I don't get over it if I keep eating whole grains.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 07-22-2020, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

A few months ago i was told by my doc that i am pre-diabetic. Made the switch to only whole grains and loads of vegetables. I have a closet full of Kasha, wild rice, Oatmeal (it's not just for breakfast use), and Quinoa. on occasion it cook up some brown rice pasta or whole wheat pasta but more often then not i will make pasta out of almond flour.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 07-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What kind of whole grain foods do you eat? What made you change from non-whole grain?

Cereal - first ingredient is a whole grain
Bread

I've bought whole grain pasta before but I can't recall if I didn't like it because of the taste or texture.

Your thoughts?
Been eating whole grain foods since I was a kid, but in the last 5 years exclusively. Breakfast is often steel cut oats, occasionally a whole grain cereal. I really like Dave's Killer Bread, specifically the 21 Grain variety. Pasta, i only eat whole grain but it doesn't taste too much different to me. I don't eat that much pasta, but nice to have it occasionally

Other grains I eat with regularity are whole grain rice (jasmine, basmati, etc.) and quinoa. There really is no better fuel for endurance athletes than whole grains. Tons of fiber, protein, phytonutrients and needed carbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
A few months ago i was told by my doc that i am pre-diabetic. Made the switch to only whole grains and loads of vegetables. I have a closet full of Kasha, wild rice, Oatmeal (it's not just for breakfast use), and Quinoa. on occasion it cook up some brown rice pasta or whole wheat pasta but more often then not i will make pasta out of almond flour.
How are you doing with the new diet? Has it helped? Load up on the vegetables and keep the saturated fats low!
Old 07-22-2020, 02:45 PM

Whole grains can be a part of a “balanced” diet.
Beans, lentils etc are whole grain foods. I understand those who need to shy away from processed breads and cereals, but there are healthier versions available today and good old oatmeal is still one of the healthiest things you can eat depending on the source.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-22-2020, 03:11 PM

I've eliminated most breads, cereals and pastries from my diet including whole grain versions of them. When I eat rice or pasta it's always whole grain, and my wife makes a lot of bean based meals using minimally processed dried legumes which have protein and fibre.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-22-2020, 04:27 PM

I haven't eaten grains for over a year and a half. I eat a variety of meats, low carb veggies, full fat dairy, nuts, and some berries. I cook with butter and extra virgin olive oil. I throw some flax meal and walnuts in my morning yogurt for some extra healthy fat and fiber. My blood sugar/A1c is good, and initially I lost a bunch of weight without counting calories or changing my activity level. Well, I've gained a few pounds back since the pandemic started. I still eat the same way after a year and a half. It seems to work for me.

Svea
Old 07-22-2020, 07:44 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Do you folks remember the food pyramid? That was sold as the healthy diet for a couple of generations. Guess what? It was upside down, carbs on top and protein on the bottom. And guess what? It from the USDA - it was based on the statistical output of the U.S. agriculture industry, not any medical data. It was the perfect setup for many cases of diabetes.

So, I eat cheerios and wheat bread and long-grain wild rice and wheat burritos and... Well you get the point. But whenever possible it is on the zone diet system with three zones, protein, green veggie, and starch. Never a starch without a protein.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Been eating whole grain foods since I was a kid,

How are you doing with the new diet? Has it helped? Load up on the vegetables and keep the saturated fats low!
It’s going well. Doc wanted to give me some meds to help but I told him I will check back with him in around six months (1 more month to go) Lost around 30#s and have around another 30 to go. The next 30 will be a challenge but It’s amazing how the body responds once you clean out you system and start putting in the good stuff.

Also I Recently sold a guitar and bought a pool, so I’m starting to get more aerobic exercise into my day. Thanks for asking
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 07-23-2020, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
It’s going well. Doc wanted to give me some meds to help but I told him I will check back with him in around six months (1 more month to go) Lost around 30#s and have around another 30 to go. The next 30 will be a challenge but It’s amazing how the body responds once you clean out you system and start putting in the good stuff.

Also I Recently sold a guitar and bought a pool, so I’m starting to get more aerobic exercise into my day. Thanks for asking
30 is impressive, keep it up!
Old 07-23-2020, 05:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Your thoughts?
Hi Dru,
My main go to whole grain food is oatmeal. I'll also eat whole grain bread, rice and quinoa.
I tend to go the whole grain route because there's a big difference nutritionally between whole grain and non-whole or refined grain. The whole grain contains all the essential parts of the intact grain, like the germ and fiber rich bran outer coating, whereas the non-whole or refined grains do not. During processing, non-whole grains are stripped of the germ and bran elements of the grain, which greatly reduces their nutritional value.
When shopping for food, look for this stamp wherever possible if you're looking for whole grain content.

Whole grains also tend to have at least a good amount of fiber, but as part of a food, the ones that do tend to be listed first on the list of ingredients, which is what I think you inferred in your post.
Reading food labels properly is a skill all its own these days. You have to be careful, because manufacturers will get away with clever marketing as best and legally as they can!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 07-23-2020, 01:33 PM

Hey Andre, great post. Yes, I know there's some clever marketing, especially with "multi grain" which has nothing to do with whole grain. I like my mini wheats ... not a lot of ingredients in it. Whole wheat, sugar, bht (IIRC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Hi Dru,
My main go to whole grain food is oatmeal. I'll also eat whole grain bread, rice and quinoa.
I tend to go the whole grain route because there's a big difference nutritionally between whole grain and non-whole or refined grain. The whole grain contains all the essential parts of the intact grain, like the germ and fiber rich bran outer coating, whereas the non-whole or refined grains do not. During processing, non-whole grains are stripped of the germ and bran elements of the grain, which greatly reduces their nutritional value.
When shopping for food, look for this stamp wherever possible if you're looking for whole grain content.

Whole grains also tend to have at least a good amount of fiber, but as part of a food, the ones that do tend to be listed first on the list of ingredients, which is what I think you inferred in your post.
Reading food labels properly is a skill all its own these days. You have to be careful, because manufacturers will get away with clever marketing as best and legally as they can!
Old 07-23-2020, 05:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
30 is impressive, keep it up!
Thanks. First 20 to 25 were easy. Now I just need to make sure the (healthy) calories going in are less then the calories going out........and yep, there's an app for that 😁
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic