The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2022, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Default Draping Humidipak saddle pouch over the strings question

OK... this is a very lame question but I keep wondering nevertheless. Please just humor me and tell me your technique.

I just purchased D'Addario's Humidipaks for my acoustic guitars. The instructions say to "Place the saddle pouch over your third and fourth strings".

I drape the saddle pouch over all the strings (over both e and E) as it's more labor intensive to get the saddle pouch in between the third and fourth strings.

So, yes, maybe I'm just lazy..but... Do you see any reason NOT to do it over all 6 strings? Does everyone take the time to get the pouch between the third and fourth?

Last edited by crnazz; 12-06-2022 at 11:34 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:35 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnazz View Post
Does everyone take the time to get the pouch between the third and fourth?
Not me. I’ve draped the pouch over all the string for the many years I’ve used Humidipaks. Never had a problem.

Old 12-07-2022, 04:23 AM

I’ve been doing E to e for years. No issues to date.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Draping over E to e, and also turning the bag inside out (so when you look down at the guitar, you see the end of the packs facing you). Placing the pack holder inside out, keeps the packs from getting caught on the strings when removing.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Same. If you look on Boveda’s website, you’ll see a picture of one of their packs installed that way. I’ve always felt that trying to stuff the pouches in between sets of strings increases the potential for damaging a pack. There’s no difference in terms of humidification, and it’s much quicker to place and remove the pouches.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Cases are stored generally upright or on their sides. The pouches are placed when the guitar is flat on its back. So I wonder if the pouches stay in place better when carrying and storing the case if the pouch holder is slipped between the strings rather than hung over 1st and 6th? Just a thought?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-07-2022, 06:38 AM

I believe D’Addario states guitars cases should be stored flat, when using humidipaks, to lessen the risk of a failure.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne1 View Post
I believe D’Addario states guitars cases should be stored flat, when using humidipaks, to lessen the risk of a failure.
Well that makes the product pretty useless! It needs to work in the "real world" where folks store cases in the space they have available and transport them to gigs. I've not seen the "store your cases flat and never carry it to a gig by the handle" on the Boveda site?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 12-07-2022, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Well that makes the product pretty useless! It needs to work in the "real world" where folks store cases in the space they have available and transport them to gigs. I've not seen the "store your cases flat and never carry it to a gig by the handle" on the Boveda site?
When transporting the case to a gig, they recommend balancing the case on one’s head and make a matching fez so one can do so in style.
Old 12-07-2022, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
Draping over E to e, and also turning the bag inside out (so when you look down at the guitar, you see the end of the packs facing you). Placing the pack holder inside out, keeps the packs from getting caught on the strings when removing.
Great idea Kori. I am flipping mine over right now.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 12-07-2022, 09:46 AM

I've been using these consistently for many years and usually drape those packs below 1 and between 3 & 4.
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta
Old 12-07-2022, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

I place one pouch between the 2nd&3rd and the other pouch between the 4th&5th. I don't do outside of the 1st and 6th strings because the curvature of the sound hole decreases the available space and the pouches tend to rub the sound hole if they're spread too wide. Just one opinion.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:10 AM

I let them hang inside the hole. In my mind, it has a better effect on the wood vs draping E to E. Key phrase: "In my mind"
Old 12-07-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crnazz View Post
OK... this is a very lame question but I keep wondering nevertheless. Please just humor me and tell me your technique.

I just purchased D'Addario's Humidipaks for my acoustic guitars. The instructions say to "Place the saddle pouch over your third and fourth strings".

I drape the saddle pouch over all the strings (over both e and E) as it's more labor intensive to get the saddle pouch in between the third and fourth strings.

So, yes, maybe I'm just lazy..but... Do you see any reason NOT to do it over all 6 strings? Does everyone take the time to get the pouch between the third and fourth?
I put mine between the E&a and b&e. On one guitar I noticed the tiniest bit of wear, where the pouch rubs the edge of the sound hole during removal or install so I switched from E to e.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion