The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2022, 05:20 PM

Default Help With My New Purchase Please

So for Christmas this year I ordered a new Epiphone Inspired By Gibson J-45. Last year I got the Hummingbird model and it was so nice I wanted to try the J-45 inspired by Gibson. I talked to the lady in chat from Guitar Center and I sent her a link on the Guitar Center site for a new IBY Gibson J-45, they retail at $749. She offered me 15 percent off which was $112 off. They pretty much offer 15 percent off any new item around this time of year if you ask. So all was good and it came today and that's where it gets interesting.

I met the UPS guy at the gate and the box is a Taylor box. Now I am thinking did they make a mistake and send me a Taylor??? I even got more excited when I opened the top of the box and I see a case as my J-45 from Epiphone did not have a case. I pull out the case and it's a nice hard shell case in good shape but you could tell it had miinor wear but still nice. And it's a Guild case. Now I am perplexed. I open the case and it's my J-45 from Epiphone. So I pull it out and it did have the plastic on the pickguard but you can see it's bee played a lot. There are no real dings or scratches on the guitar but I am sure it is either used or a store demo. So I look up the serial and it's 18 months old. I look in the case and there is paperwork for a Guild and one bridge pin but nothing for the Epiphone. So something is off here. I bought a new guitar and my paperwork shows that.

It does play really nice and feel really nice and the action is perfect. I have included two photos here. One is a full shot of the guitar and the other is the back where the endpin is. On one side the finished is raised a bit and it's easy to see in the photo. Is this just a cosmetic flaw or a real issue??

If it's just a cosmetic thing and they offer me a real deep discount I may just keep it but for sure they screwed up on this one.

So what do you guys think??

Old 12-06-2022, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

It's pretty standard to buy a "new" guitar from an online retailer (especially from a big box like GC) and get a guitar that has been played a bit in a store. Just the nature of online shopping/returns these days. I think it's very unlikely that they'll offer you any sort of discount, based on personal experience, and they'll likely just tell you send it back in exchange for another.

I've never bought a guitar from them, but if you really want a new guitar that hasn't been played in store at all, Sweetwater seems like it's probably the best bet.
Old 12-06-2022, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

If the guitar still has plastic on the pickguard, it is probably not used. It may have been returned or just played a lot in the store. You said it has no dings or scratches, so a little bit of polish should make it look brand new. The finish flaw looks cosmetic to me, but you would be a better judge of that. You got a good price on the guitar and a free case, which is probably worth $100 or more. If you are happy with the way the guitar plays and sounds, I think you should keep it. Those IBG J-45's are nice guitars for the price. I had one for a short time and I liked it, but I returned it when I found a used Gibson J-45 that I couldn't pass up. Good luck!
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)

Last edited by pickinray; 12-06-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

I don't like what's going around by the pickup jack I'd probably swap it
Old 12-06-2022, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagedr View Post
It's pretty standard to buy a "new" guitar from an online retailer (especially from a big box like GC) and get a guitar that has been played a bit in a store. Just the nature of online shopping/returns these days. I think it's very unlikely that they'll offer you any sort of discount, based on personal experience, and they'll likely just tell you send it back in exchange for another.

I've never bought a guitar from them, but if you really want a new guitar that hasn't been played in store at all, Sweetwater seems like it's probably the best bet.
I understand what you are saying but there are no warranty papers at all with the guitar. My invoice says new and lists the retail price. Too many weird things for me here.
Old 12-06-2022, 06:32 PM

I’d return it for another sample … sounds like they just kind of threw things together without much care or attention to detail. Also, I can’t tell a lot from the picture but if it shows extensive signs of being a showroom piece I’d be worried the defect might be a result of being dropped on the end pin/jack.
Cordoba C-10
Martin 000-15
... and a few others ...
Old 12-06-2022, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskyman View Post
I understand what you are saying but there are no warranty papers at all with the guitar. My invoice says new and lists the retail price. Too many weird things for me here.
I didn't get warranty papers with my IBG J-45. You can register for the warranty online here: https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Suppo...y-Registration
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)
Old 12-06-2022, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

FWIW-the IBG J45 Slash version I got from Sweetwater had the exact same flaw at the end pin. They knocked $100 of for that blemish. I’ve had it over 6 months and it seems to be fine.

Does anyone have an opinion on what would cause that?
Old 12-06-2022, 07:06 PM

The photo of the endpin area impresses me that it's the product of a factory guitar that wasn't perfect, but good enough to sell. Which at Epiphone's price point, that may have been the QC standard. If OP can get the guitar returned and refunded, might as well try to get another one and perhaps solve that assembly glitch. And have a conversation about what paperwork should be in the box.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:05 PM

Send it back. Accepting a demo, open box or a customer return regardless of the discount is not what you paid for.
Old 12-06-2022, 08:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I don't like what's going around by the pickup jack I'd probably swap it
Yep, that looks a suspect. Have it looked at inside and out, and if it was not disclosed at the time of purchase, ask for some money back if you decide to keep it.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 12-06-2022, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

I'd get another one. No question in my mind.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:17 AM

It looks like the finish is peeling where the sides butt together at the end pin. If it bothers you then send it back. Otherwise it sounds like you got a pretty good deal since these don’t come with a hard case and you got it for under $650.
Fender EJ Strat
Old 12-07-2022, 07:43 AM

Looks to me like the seam is starting to curl up a little bit on each side.
It's probably worth it to send the photo to GC and see if they'll do anything for it. The fact that they sent the free case may very well be an indication that they're aware of the end jack seam issue, and that was their way of compensating for it. If the guitar is otherwise solid, plays well and sounds good, it's worth it to keep it.
If you find you don't like it in six months, flip it.
2013 Yamaha FG720S-12 (Sitka/mahogany)
Old 12-07-2022, 08:25 AM

Your post is exactly why I will not buy from Guitar Center unless I can buy it directly from a store, their mail order experience is always a toss up

never know what they are going to send you.

I also am a bit suspicious of what is going on down at the bottom seam.

Send it back, and ask GC for another, or.. buy one from Musicians Friends who has them in stock, so you could try there, (ironically MF is the Online Retail arm of the same Company that runs Guitar Center) you'll need to buy a case tho

Sweetwater is the best, but these are not in stock at SW

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 12-07-2022 at 08:31 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion