The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2022, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Riversong Guitars win MMR Award

A spot on the CBC newsfeed this morning reported that Riversong Guitars wond the Musical Merchandise Review Dealers’ Choice Award for acoustic guitar of the year.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...song-1.6675494

First time a Canadian Company has won this award. Great to see a small business win an award like this. But....

I tried a couple of these guitars a year or so ago in a local shop. I'm sure the design is innovative etc, but personally, I found it weird to see the neck extending through the body. Also, the esthetics didn't resonate (so to speak) with me at all.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:03 PM

Default Riversong Guitars

So who/what is Riversong Guitars?
Old 12-07-2022, 02:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
So who/what is Riversong Guitars?
This Riversong guitars maybe? https://riversongguitars.com/

Let Google be your friend…

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 12-07-2022, 04:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Wow. No matter what, you have to admire a builder who's willing to really, really stretch the bounds of traditional guitar construction and aesthetics. As with so many products that challenge the consumer to give up preconceived notions of how a product should/can/might be improved, their success or failure depends a LOT on how many players are willing to spend some serious coin on radical design, and yes, the question of long term value.

They do have a basic line (Pacific Series) that start at just under $500 (U.S dollars), so I'm sure they have factored in the willingness of the rabid branch of guitar geeks to try something outside the norms of traditional guitar design without risking too much. Some of the guitars in that series are made in Canada, some are "designed in Canada" although there's no mention of where they are actually made. Although they have many dealers in Canada there are only two listed in the U.S. so playing before you buy is not an option for almost all players in the U.S.

I was intrigued by a photo of their Glennwood TS6 Limited Edition model that gives a good look at their "skeletized" braces that have multiple triangular holes. Does reducing the mass of the braces this way make sense? I think I can guess their reasoning - less mass helps the top move more freely but does it also dampen the amount of string vibration transferred to the top?

Also, this:

"The Riversong exclusive patented Double Reaction bridge conducts sound to the top and under bridge plate simultaneously increasing overall volume by 10%. The Double Reaction bridge has a balanced mass encouraging increased resonant vibration. On this guitar the Double Reaction bridge is made using a special process with carbon fibre."

These kinds of descriptions by makers always make me scratch my head. I happily admit that I'm a bit stodgy when I encounter them. But hey, maybe they are truly on to something.

The overall look of their guitars screams out MODERN. That's all well and good but not my cup of tea. However, I realize that there are thousands of acoustic guitar players (mostly young and sometimes coming from the world of radically designed electric guitars) who are as attracted to guitars that DON'T look like yet another Martin dreadnought or Gibson slope-shoulder jumbo. So all I'm saying in this rambling discourse is that I admire any company that has a clear idea of what they want to accomplish while keeping an open mind at the same time.

I wish them success and hope they can expand their dealer base in the U.S. so I can try a few of their instruments!

Gene
Old 12-07-2022, 08:04 AM

Old 12-07-2022, 11:53 AM

Hopefully their guitars will make lots of folks happy, Well Done !
Old 12-07-2022, 07:40 PM
Charter Member

Seems like their necks are 1 10/16 at the nut. Narrower than almost all other acoustic makers?
Old 12-07-2022, 07:52 PM

This builder is located in my city but I have to admit I’ve never played one. I’m going to have to change that.
Epiphone Dot
Old 12-08-2022, 12:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
No wonder the guitars are unusual, he has three hands.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:25 AM

I hope this builder goes on from strength to strength and contonuws to improve and innovate their designs - it takes courage to try to do something entirely new and different from the norm.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:00 AM

That form of neck construction appeared on Maccaferi's plastic guitars. That was awhile ago. That man was ahead of his time...
Old 12-08-2022, 07:36 AM

Default acoustic guitar of the year

patented design of the neck through the inside of the body

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...song-1.6675494
Old 12-08-2022, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Can't say I particularly like the tone, and I guess I'm a traditionalist but.....It'd save you money on neck resets.

From YouTube.
https://youtu.be/HNpQNtz3EJ0
Old 12-08-2022, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Interesting. I'd never heard of Riversong Guitars. I found this YouTube that describes some of the innovations. Plus there's something called a "diffuser disc" inside the soundhole. Hmmmmmmmmmm..... Not sure. It'd be interesting to try one out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNpQNtz3EJ0
Old 12-09-2022, 10:13 PM

Can any guitar’s sound really be evaluated on a YT clip ?
I know, sometimes it’s all we’ve got, but —-

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion