The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-03-2022, 07:31 PM

I'm a good guitar player, mandolin-family instrument player and a decent fiddle player.

I've always sang, but I don't consider myself a good singer. I'm a competent singer. I can play and sing 100's of songs from memory. I can sing in tune and I have an average range. A few people over the years have told me they like my singing voice. Singing has made me a better player; playing has made me a better singer.

I also play many instrumentals, flat picking and fingerstyle. I've performed many times in a variety of bands, orchestras, trios, duos and solo over the past 50 years or so.
Old 10-03-2022, 08:58 PM

Never liked the sound of my singing voice. I've debated trying things out with a vocal coach.

My goal was to be the guitarist/bassist to record stuff. I did this for a while when I was younger. Now I play instrumental acoustic. I miss playing in bands, but not the drama that came with it.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:51 AM

I sing and play. If you want to perform for an audience you really have to sing, or else be a really talented musician and even then your audience will always be small.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
I sing and play. If you want to perform for an audience you really have to sing, or else be a really talented musician and even then your audience will always be small.
I have to say, I agree with Malcom here. Either sing, or be a really talented musician.

I play ok. Better than some, not as good as others.

But when I play and sing. That's what makes it me.
Old 10-04-2022, 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
If I sang, my audience would be even smaller.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:06 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I can sing when I play. I'm a baritone. I've always giggled at Leo Kottke's description of his bari voice: "Like geese farts on a muggy day." I find that the music I like generally isn't written for baris. Setting it in a reasonable key murders the nice guitar work that I love. Conundrum one. I also find that the really nice guitar work that I love is generally too complicated (for me) to play and sing over at the same time so I have to simplify. Conundrum two. However, I've noticed that the bands with complicated guitar parts usually have at least one guitarist who doesn't sing and plays the complicated stuff. Ah... Got it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-04-2022, 04:11 AM

I played only, electrics and some bass. Then one day 3,5 years ago, at a ripe age of 32, when the band I was in struggled with finding a singer, a thought of insanity appeared: 'maybe I should try learning'. So I have signed up for lessons, without telling the band (I don't believe in miracles, I wasn't expecting to just walk up to a mic and be a pure talent in hiding); eventually we found a competent singer, and although I was attending lessons I wasn't putting much effort, my role was to play bass after all.

However then came The Great World Shutdown, I ended up leaving the band for multitude reasons, and with nothing to do and no future in front of me I had a big question sign in my head. On one of the last in person vocal lessons before global isolation my coach said 'since you stopped working on the phone line your voice has cleaned up, now I can work on you!'. Thus my new path as a singer has emerged.

Roughly at the same time, I met a music partner for the time of isolation who eventually helped me figure out how to combine singing and playing guitar at the same time. At that point, when these two activities clicked together for me, my musical world has opened its limitless skies and provided a meaning to my existence: I have become a singer/guitarist, and although I am still in training, I can now provide a whole music experience to the world.

While playing in a band is something I want to do still, it has no longer become a necessity for my musical journey, if needs be I can confidently (well, in due time ) show up anywhere and engulf others in stories intertwined in melody.

My newly discovered useage of voice has nothing to do with high level of aural aesthetics nor technical proficiency, but it allows me to immerse in music on a unimaginable to me scale, that hopefully will shine past and provide a diversion from the lack of experience.

I urge anyone to try, however a good teacher and a bit of patience for yourself might be needed. Good luck!
Old 10-04-2022, 06:43 AM

I do not sing…
So I turned to fingerstyle.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
If I sang, my audience would be even smaller.
Maybe not, you might be surprised. I'm not a very good singer but I choose my songs carefully and I've been getting away with it for nearly 60 years. I know from experience that if I play two instrumentals in a row the audience gets restless then I have to work hard to get their interest back.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:53 AM

No singing here. A music teacher in high school advised me to learn lip syncing so as not to ruin the choir.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:57 AM

I started Singing and started playing to accompany my voice.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:06 AM

Learning to sing really helped my playing with regards to tempo, rhythm and dynamics. Most nonmuisicians only listen to the lyrics anyway.

That being said, there are some songs I enjoy singing that only I enjoy. I'm still learning about what my "range" is.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

I like to sing when I play. Not good at it, getting better, but I like it.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:10 AM

I play in two bands and play and sing.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:36 AM

I'm always a little amused that when people (like myself) say with a lifetime of experience, "I can't sing", someone comes along and says something like "Sure you can..." or "Are you sure?"...or "You just need some voice lessons"...

I know a lot of folks who say they can't sing...they're not lying, they're just being perfectly honest...they're comfortable with that fact, and they're not looking for encouragement...myself included...

I also know a lot of folks who, as my Grandma used to say, "can't carry a tune in a bucket" but they don't let that stop them...

But if it makes them happy, bless them, they should just let 'er rip...it can be a wonderful thing to not be burdened with self awareness...

Last edited by Denny B; 10-04-2022 at 09:04 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion