The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-06-2022, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCWaters View Post
I own both, but the tele is my go to, especially with the four-way switch…
Not
A
Tele

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 12-06-2022, 06:36 PM

I have both. I like both.
You can’t make me choose.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-06-2022, 06:52 PM

I own both and play them pretty much equally, but if push comes to shove then I would have to go Stratocaster.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I've had both, but when I've had both, the tele, no matter how good it was, always died of neglect because I always found myself reaching for the strat. So for the past few years, I've only had one, a strat. To be fair, I've always been a strat guy, going back to my earliest electric playing in the late 70's. I've always liked teles a lot too, but never enough to take significant playing time from my strats over the years.

-Ray
My experience is like Ray's. I enjoy my Tele once in a way, but the guitar I reach for most of the time is my Strat. For me the Strat can do so much more.

But,... some people completely identify with their Tele and that's all there is for them. I think you have to find out for yourself what appeals to you.

- Glenn
Old 12-06-2022, 08:32 PM

Whichever you chose you will eventually want the other too, so just be prepared. I say Tele, but that's just me.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:14 PM

I've owned both for many years. I had a wonderful walnut Strat, called "The Strat", 1982, that I blocked the tremolo and added a humbucker out of a '64 Gibson SG. It took me 20 years to figure out the whammy bar, thanks to a series of late model Ibanez guitars. For me, in a band setting, nothing is as comfortable, or cuts through the mix like a decent Telecaster. Maybe a pro guitarist should have both.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:59 PM

Default You write the punch line:

Guy walks into a Fender bar carrying a Les Paul . . .
Old 12-06-2022, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

I would hope those were not my only two options.
Old 12-06-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Not

A

Tele

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 12-07-2022, 01:28 AM

For me it’s a no-brainer, and I put my money where my mouth is and bought my first decent electric in 1992, a US Standard Strat.

Since then I’ve gotten other fine guitars including a G&L ASAT Classic Hollowbody (like a souped up Tele) and a Classic 60s Tele amongst others and I love them all - but the Strat is still number 1!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 12-07-2022, 05:11 AM

Never felt tempted to buy a tele.

Owned a strat for a few years: loved the sound, and it is one of the most comfortable guitars to play while standing.

I don’t play electric any more, but if I did, i’d go nack to the strat.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:19 AM

I can't fault either. How many years the most classic versions of both have sold says a lot.

Maybe playing acoustic first got me fond of the shape and bridge. My GAS killer is this FSR Daves/Wildwood Thinskin '68 Thinline replica where now a regular USA series is very similar.

The tie to acoustic playing I think of and brought up may also be from the light weight of the Thinline but I had two other heavier Telecasters and felt same about the bridge and design.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:26 AM

I love guitar variety. I've been through a bunch of electric guitars over the years and enjoy their differences, even the ones that I imagine are there.

If we're talking the "classic" designs of the Tele and Strat, I'd take the Tele. I"ve never felt I've got the best Tele bridge PU sound from a Strat, and while I like the Strat neck pickup sound quite a bit, I like the classic Tele neck pickup sound for some things.

None of which doesn't mean I don't like Strats, I do. And Jazzmasters, and Les Pauls, 335 types, and....

IMHO the most versatile electric guitar arrangement is a "Fat Nashville" Tele: three pickups, classic Tele bridge and bridge PU, Strat or other single coil middle, and neck humbucker. 5 way switch: Tele bridge PU, bridge + middle (quack), neck + bridge, middle PU, [player's option]. neck humbucker. That optional 4th position can be neck coil split or neck + middle.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 12-07-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I love guitar variety. I've been through a bunch of electric guitars over the years and enjoy their differences, even the ones that I imagine are there.

If we're talking the "classic" designs of the Tele and Strat, I'd take the Tele. I"ve never felt I've got the best Tele bridge PU sound from a Strat, and while I like the Strat neck pickup sound quite a bit, I like the classic Tele neck pickup sound for some things.

None of which doesn't mean I don't like Strats, I do. And Jazzmasters, and Les Pauls, 335 types, and....

IMHO the most versatile electric guitar arrangement is a "Fat Nashville" Tele: three pickups, classic Tele bridge and bridge PU, Strat or other single coil middle, and neck humbucker. 5 way switch: Tele bridge PU, bridge + middle (quack), neck + bridge, middle PU, [player's option]. neck humbucker. That optional 4th position can be neck coil split or neck + middle.
In custom wounds you can get the Strat neck pickup sound in a Tele pickup and by the same token you can get the Tele bridge in a Strat pickup.
There are so many options in any given single coil set, Strat or Tele.
It seems most people are unaware of this.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-07-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
In custom wounds you can get the Strat neck pickup sound in a Tele pickup and by the same token you can get the Tele bridge in a Strat pickup.
There are so many options in any given single coil set, Strat or Tele.
It seems most people are unaware of this.
Yeah, I've often thought I should look into more "Tele-like" Strat bridge PUs, but I think the Tele bridge itself is part of the Tele bridge pickup sound

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars