The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-07-2022, 02:15 AM

Default Help decide on a travel guitar

Hello, beautiful people! I'm going backpacking around South America and have ordered the Enya Nova Go guitar. It looks cool, but I'm worried it won't feel like a guitar. I also found a used beautiful Martin LX black and to me it seems so well made. I can also look at Taylor's.

Now I'll be carrying a backpack, playing at the beach, the jungle, so of course it needs to be portable and weather proof. I am also learning guitar (1,5 year in) so I'm worried how a smaller guitar will affect my practice. Basically will use it to practice and sing/write songs. Your advice is really appreciated!
Old 12-07-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianaav View Post
it needs to be portable and weather proof.
I think it has to be one of those "silent" guitars.

Add a small speaker and the guitar is no longer "silent."

My setup is either a Yamaha SLG200NW or a Sinsonido and a JBL Go 2 speaker.

The Sinsonido is easier for travel.
Old 12-08-2022, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaprism View Post
I think it has to be one of those "silent" guitars.

Add a small speaker and the guitar is no longer "silent."

My setup is either a Yamaha SLG200NW or a Sinsonido and a JBL Go 2 speaker.

The Sinsonido is easier for travel.

Oh wow thank you, didn't know it existed!
Old 12-08-2022, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

I have a Journey Instruments OF660 travel guitar. I got it 5 years ago and it has accompanied me on 3 southern vacations since then, travelling in the overhead luggage rack. I also use it for outdoor playing when the weather is cool as it is carbon fibre and doesn’t get affected much by temperature changes. It came with a K&K pickup installed though I think they use their own Journey Inst. brand now. It can’t keep up with a dread volume wise but sounds nice on its own. Having a guitar around at all times, including while travelling is essential for me.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

I have one of these https://eo-guitars.com/ along with a NUX mighty air for when I want it to be heard. If you are just playing for yourself wired earbuds work well.

It's about the smallest full size neck I've seen for travel and has worked well for me for all the airplane travel I do
Old 12-08-2022, 09:41 PM

IMHO a Hiscox case can turn any guitar into a travel guitar.
Old 12-09-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovin' Geo View Post
I have a Journey Instruments OF660 travel guitar. I got it 5 years ago and it has accompanied me on 3 southern vacations since then, travelling in the overhead luggage rack. I also use it for outdoor playing when the weather is cool as it is carbon fibre and doesnÂ’t get affected much by temperature changes. It came with a K&K pickup installed though I think they use their own Journey Inst. brand now. It canÂ’t keep up with a dread volume wise but sounds nice on its own. Having a guitar around at all times, including while travelling is essential for me.
Thanks for the advice. I was looking at them, however since I will already be carrying a backpack, its going to be difficult. Also, its pricey, I'm worried during trips to remote places
Old 12-09-2022, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

Since you posted in the "classical" sub-forum, do you want nylon strings? For classical practice while traveling, I use a Cordoba Mini II.

It's very small (small body and short scale length) but have normal nut width and normal tuning. These are (IMHO) important to make the guitar feel closer to a normal guitar. It's also only $150-$250, so it's cheap enough that I don't worry much about it getting stolen or simply losing it (which I actually did to one of them; I left it behind and by the time I got back it's gone). For beach/jungle, you may want to get the all-laminate version.

If nylon isn't a requirement, I use a Traveler Guitar Speedster Deluxe (be sure to get the Deluxe model, which has a build-in amp that you can plug headphones directly to it). It's even smaller than the Cordoba and can actually fit into my normal-sized backpack with just a little bit of the neck sticking out. A solid-body guitar that's pretty much impervious to beach/jungle weather. It has a full-length scale and normal nut width; good for practice.

The Cordoba is 33" long; the Traveler is 27.5" long.

Last edited by JackC1; 12-09-2022 at 05:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
carbon fiber, travel guitar