The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-14-2022, 09:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
My mistake. Nothing for you to be sorry about. It’s equally good to learn that the Voiceprint DI’s single knob anti-feedback control works as advertised. I remember how enthusiastic Lloyd Baggs was about that feature.
Actually I've found that it works pretty well. YMMV.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
My mistake. Nothing for you to be sorry about. It’s equally good to learn that the Voiceprint DI’s single knob anti-feedback control works as advertised. I remember how enthusiastic Lloyd Baggs was about that feature.
It does but I programmed them manually. It allows for another three bands of EQ.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:19 PM

I think the fact that James updated and increased the utility of the original Tonedexter software repeatedly bodes well for the next generation. This is a guy that deeply knows his technical onions and is keenly sensitive to feedback from the professional community (and he is a player himself). I use my Tonedexter on all solo performances (though not when playing with a band that includes electric instruments) and I’ll bet the new generation will be a dramatic leap forward. I am really looking forward to it.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-05-2023, 05:21 PM

I sincerely hope that Audio Sprockets considers adding in MIDI capabilities and also the ability to turn off the preamp and use it like a regular pedal.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimata View Post
I sincerely hope that Audio Sprockets considers adding in MIDI capabilities and also the ability to turn off the preamp and use it like a regular pedal.
Can you explain? If you turned off the preamp, what would be left?

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-06-2023, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
A competitor, the NUX Optima Air, has a 3-band EQ and gain controls on its preamp with physical modeling of the Neve 1073. This is the manual mode using the Amp footswitch. However, manual mode there can be turned off, so you just have the IR loading functionality. This is useful if you're using another instrument preamp already.
Old 01-06-2023, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The website show a TRS jack that is capable of MIDI input, so, yeah? not sure about turning off the preamp - not sure many people would find that a benefit - but I think turning features off via SW is probably easier than adding them, so it might be quite possible -

Once the firmware is locked down, I'm sure James will release a bunch more info -
Old 01-06-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Isn't that the bypass function?
Old 03-11-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
A competitor, the NUX Optima Air, has a 3-band EQ and gain controls on its preamp with physical modeling of the Neve 1073. This is the manual mode using the Amp footswitch. However, manual mode there can be turned off, so you just have the IR loading functionality. This is useful if you're using another instrument preamp already.
So, theoretically, if I am using a K&K mini and wanted to use the K&K pre amp plugged into the Optima, I could bypass the Optima amp section? I have read that the Optima has noise issues with the amp section. Because of the Optima reviews, I wanted to buy a Tonedexter and can't find one. But this could be a viable option. Appreciate your help. Thanks
Ricketts
Old 03-11-2023, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Although I think it's a great device, I hardly use my Tonedexter 1.
Interested in selling? Message me if yes - Thanks,
Ricketts
Old 03-11-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricketts View Post
So, theoretically, if I am using a K&K mini and wanted to use the K&K pre amp plugged into the Optima, I could bypass the Optima amp section? I have read that the Optima has noise issues with the amp section. Because of the Optima reviews, I wanted to buy a Tonedexter and can't find one. But this could be a viable option. Appreciate your help. Thanks
Ricketts
Yes, you can bypass the amp on the Optima Air. There is a separate pedal for the IR and the Amp. So you can only use the IR or only use the preamp (or both together). I only hear noise with the preamp if I turn it past 80%. With that said the preamp sounds the best with my piezo pickup. I need to cut so much low end with my K&K mini that I have to EQ with a graphic style EQ pedal (I use a Boss GE-7).

I use the Optima Air with a K&K mini, Schatten HFN, and Taylor ES2 piezo and works great for all of them.

I've had hit or miss luck with recording my own IRs. I use recorded IRs for two guitars and I downloaded IRs online for my other two guitars. That is one advantage I'd give the Optima Air over the Tonedexter. It has a great software on your computer to manage the files and the ability to upload 3rd party IRs. The Tonedexter only lets you download/upload IRs recorded on the Tonedexter. The Optima Air software also lets you add a cut at certain frequencies to reduce feedback. There is an adjustment for both high and low frequencies in the software.

One other difference is the Tonedexter has a built-in mic preamp and the Optima Air does not. So you need a separate mic preamp to record IRs. Other than that, the Optima Air is a really great bang for the buck pedal.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 03-11-2023, 08:07 PM

Thumbs up Thanks aschrowder

Can’t thank you enough for your thorough explanation. You’ve helped me a great deal.
Old 03-16-2023, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

There may be some confusion in the messaging, but I heard today that the ToneDexter "2" that was supposed to be released early this year is not going to go to production as planned. I don't know if the "ToneDexter 2" on the website is still a real thing, or if there's going to be something fairly different, and I'm wondering about the "Spring 2023" availability at this point, as it seems to have been slip-sliding away...
Old 03-16-2023, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
There may be some confusion in the messaging, but I heard today that the ToneDexter "2" that was supposed to be released early this year is not going to go to production as planned. I don't know if the "ToneDexter 2" on the website is still a real thing, or if there's going to be something fairly different, and I'm wondering about the "Spring 2023" availability at this point, as it seems to have been slip-sliding away...
Yeah I've been wondering about this for a long time. I don't have any inside info though!
Old 03-16-2023, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

So - I don't have much info, but the TD2 release is being pushed back a bit due to some software issue that is being worked on. I tried to get more info, but apparently the software guy hasn't been able to commit to a specific date for the completion. There are a few new features that will be in TD2, and I got the impression it's one of these. I know James will post something as soon as he has something specific to announce, but he's an engineer, not marketing, so until he's got it working to his complete satisfaction, we won't be promoting it -

But in the meantime, we'll all have to just wait a little longer. But from what I know that I can't pass on, I'm very sure it'll be worth it -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
james may, tonedexter