The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2024, 05:42 PM

What audio compression can also do: fit a whole lot more hours of music on a single CD ^^

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-19-2024, 02:16 PM

I worked for years at a radio network. I was astounded at how much work went into the sound of someone talking on the air. I can recall sitting in meetings where small details in sound quality would be discussed, and I'd be thinking to myself "It's just someone announcing a piece of music or delivering a news story! I've listened to this stuff all my life and I can't recall ever caring about the sound of the spoken voices, just the content."

Near the end of my time there, podcasting started to become a thing, with a whole lot of people, some attached to fairly big organizations that weren't broadcasters, recording stuff. I'd listen to them in those early days and all of sudden I'd hear all kinds of annoying audio issues: consonant pops, bad levels, weird EQ, and a pet peeve of mine sibilance. "Oh" I thought "that's why they cared."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-20-2024, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
What audio compression can also do: fit a whole lot more hours of music on a single CD ^^
True but that's a completely different kind of "compression"-- that is digital data compression not dynamic audio compression. You can compress the bajeebers out the audio dynamics of the file and it will still be virtually the same size data file

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-20-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
True but that's a completely different kind of "compression"-- that is digital data compression not dynamic audio compression.
Oh really? It's still "audio compression" though, maybe even more so than the one in question here that just compresses output volume (or power) according to some probably more or less S-shaped transfer function

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Old 03-20-2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Oh really? It's still "audio compression" though, maybe even more so than the one in question here that just compresses output volume (or power) according to some probably more or less S-shaped transfer function
No, you are incorrect. Data compression != dynamics compression (aka audio compression).

When you data compress, you do not alter the dynamics.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 03-20-2024, 02:16 PM

It's the language usage here that is imprecise and thus incorrect. The compressor you are thinking of compresses a particular aspect of audio, the compressors I referred to another (or a few others). That was the whole crux of my interjection and I'm not going to go further down this rabbit hole.
(But even "dynamic compression" and "dynamics compression" as used above are ambiguous terms.)

Old 03-20-2024, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's the language usage here that is imprecise and thus incorrect. The compressor you are thinking of compresses a particular aspect of audio, the compressors I referred to another (or a few others). That was the whole crux of my interjection and I'm not going to go further down this rabbit hole.
(But even "dynamic compression" and "dynamics compression" as used above are ambiguous terms.)
Agree the term audio compression is ambiguous, but is only because in common usage the term has been used (as you correctly note ) to describe both data compression of a digital audio file, and dynamic compression of the audio wave form
But I doubt many in this thread are or were , confused by the distinction.

Of course main difference is the distinction that :: while dynamic compression of the audio wave form can be performed in either the digital realm (via plugin) OR in the Analog realm vis analog hardware compressor
Data compression as in compressing a WAV file down to an MP3 is done only in the digital realm. And the distinction is the difference and is neither imprecise or incorrect

And this thread has been about the effect dynamic compression of the audio waveform and not data compression (until you interjected data compression) which is a different discussion.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 03-20-2024 at 04:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
. . . this thread has been about the effect dynamic compression of the audio waveform and not data compression (until you interjected data compression) which is a different discussion.
I thought it was about every vocal nuance being gain-enhanced to an intimate creepiness.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil
Old 03-21-2024, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFL Steve View Post
I thought it was about every vocal nuance being gain-enhanced to an intimate creepiness.
Bada Bing, Bada Boom! ... or it's like John Waters directed the response and any second I expected Divine, impersonating Joan Crawford, to come barging in on Katie with a wire hanger in her hand screaming, "No wire hangers!" while chasing Katie around her kitchen table.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-21-2024 at 04:22 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFL Steve View Post
Well YES sort of. For starters the title "What Audio Compression Can Do For You " is actually talking about the speculated "cause" not the creepy "result" (I say speculation, unless the OP had direct knowledge of the actual mix techniques used in the broadcast)
However given that various dynamic audio compression and or limiting techniques are routinely used in such broadcasts, it's a reasonable assumption if still speculation .....

Then OP then went on to speculate the "result" of those techniques was as you say an enhanced "intimate creepiness" which it may well be . OTOH Shakespearean actors were also able to give this perception of intimate creepiness or audible perceived breathy whisper,, without the use of any audio compression ... so the thread (again unless direct knowledge is involved ) is just speculation.

BUT. again what the thread was not originally about was compressing the data resolution of file to a lower bit rate (which is in fact a completely different type of digital audio "compression" ) and will not only not result in an enhanced breathy"creepy" makeup gain related "result", with quiet parts being louder ... BUT is more likely to reduce the overall volume level and dynamic range further BUT without the enhancement of makeup gain and so is likely to sightly reduce the perception of said effect . Which is what I was attempting to relate in the part of my post that you edited out.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 03-21-2024 at 09:02 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification