The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-08-2024, 09:09 AM

I do feel as though pickups are still the best use in a live setting vs. IR pedals. The Fishman Aura is the exception. This new offering from Baggs seems to have the most natural tone I have heard but with that ability to still cut through a busy mix. That part is huge.

I didn't want to say this in the Tonedexter thread as I truly believe that's a fantastic device, but I listened to the Kacey Musgraves SNL performance and to me, the guitars seemed a bit too buried. All were using the TD. There's just something with IR pedals that never quite cuts for me. I find a great pickup is still the way to go and I am excited for this new pickup, despite the high price.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Interesting. Yeah, I thought in the KM SNL clip that the guitars sounded too subdued. Very nice acoustic sound. But they were too low in the mix for my taste. But that's more an issue with the sound mixer than the equipment.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I do feel as though pickups are still the best use in a live setting vs. IR pedals. The Fishman Aura is the exception. This new offering from Baggs seems to have the most natural tone I have heard but with that ability to still cut through a busy mix. That part is huge.

I didn't want to say this in the Tonedexter thread as I truly believe that's a fantastic device, but I listened to the Kacey Musgraves SNL performance and to me, the guitars seemed a bit too buried. All were using the TD. There's just something with IR pedals that never quite cuts for me. I find a great pickup is still the way to go and I am excited for this new pickup, despite the high price.
Totally agree. If you want to sound like a mic-d guitar in a studio than fine, but in a live setting that type of sound has no bite and punch and it too "airy". Does it sound "good"? Sure. Does it cut through live? Nope.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I just bought a Martin 000-15M without any electronics and I am considering options. Not sure I want to wait until summer. Also not sure the HiFi WITH the mic is worth an extra $250 over the regular HiFi? From all the recordings I've heard the HiFi sounds pretty good by itself and with the mic doesn't sound THAT MUCH different or better.
I’m an Anthem fan and have them in all but but one guitar. In this guitar the element UST made a noticeable difference in the quality of the unplugged sound, in a bad way. What ever system goes in there it would have to have a mic as part of the source. I do like the sound, based on vids, of the Hi-FI over a K&K mini. So if the reviews are consistently good I might bite the bullet and take a chance on the Hi-Fi combo.

The other option is I can combine the Hi-FI with another mic source such as a K&K mic. I already have the dual source Pre and the mic

If I do I will report back
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 03-10-2024 at 07:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 08:04 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

No matter if the signal is run through a digital device or not the interaction of the player to the signal source is analog.

Transducers are Alternating current. Managing the signal in an analog signal path is closer to the player, their touch and their dynamics.

Once the signal path reaches a digital converter there is a delay, although slight.

After the inverter, the signal is virtual and if the analog signal is not represented dynamically before hand, perhaps this is your issue with digital.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification