The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-17-2005, 11:42 AM

Wink Zen and the Art of "B" ing...

[QUOTE=Guyute]I just love how this thread has evolved into a discussion on the Zen of B.

It ain't easy being "B".
Old 08-17-2005, 12:06 PM

LMAO! Indeed....look at all those poorly regarded B-sides. Anyone who tells me Can't Explain is a better song than Bald-Headed Woman....B gets no respect!

Back to the discussion of all things B-related.....my comments in this thread are all made after filtering them through my own playing style (which is a crazy hodgepodge of strumming, pseudo-flatpicking, palm muted closed chord runs and percussive string bashing). In my experience, while it's true that an open B7 will replace a Bmaj, the same is not true for a Bm chord. Of course, I rarely play a full chord voicing. While I may actually finger the whole chord about 40% of the time, I rarely play all the notes I'm fingering. So I may finger a Bm, but actually play a B5 or even just a single B note!

However, when I was first starting out, I would play the whole chord (as I should have) and while open B7 is a decent sub for Bmaj barred, Bm is decidedly NOT!

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 08-17-2005, 12:16 PM

Wink I know what you mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute
LMAO! Indeed....look at all those poorly regarded B-sides. Anyone who tells me Can't Explain is a better song than Bald-Headed Woman....B gets no respect!

Back to the discussion of all things B-related.....my comments in this thread are all made after filtering them through my own playing style (which is a crazy hodgepodge of strumming, pseudo-flatpicking, palm muted closed chord runs and percussive string bashing). In my experience, while it's true that an open B7 will replace a Bmaj, the same is not true for a Bm chord. Of course, I rarely play a full chord voicing. While I may actually finger the whole chord about 40% of the time, I rarely play all the notes I'm fingering. So I may finger a Bm, but actually play a B5 or even just a single B note!

However, when I was first starting out, I would play the whole chord (as I should have) and while open B7 is a decent sub for Bmaj barred, Bm is decidedly NOT!
I was thinking, in particular, of this fingering..X X 4 X 3 X..I use it alternately as a Bm7 or D..depending on context ...and my fingerstyle playing..works for me...but, might not for someone else.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=Guyute]While I may actually finger the whole chord about 40% of the time, I rarely play all the notes I'm fingering. So I may finger a Bm, but actually play a B5 or even just a single B note!
QUOTE]

I'm glad you mentioned the above, Chris. For me, unless I need my other fingers (esp. the pinky) to hit an extra note off of the main chord shape, I fret or finger the whole chord even though I may only need two or three of the strings at some point. Since I play mostly fingerstyle, odds are I'll hit the other strings either by chance or on purpose so they might as well be the right notes. Just my $.02

Ahhh........To B Or Not To B.
Hirade = E9;Tak = TC135SC

http://www.guitarace.net
Old 08-17-2005, 12:33 PM

Talking Awww c'mon...

[QUOTE=eiko]
Quote:
While I may actually finger the whole chord about 40% of the time, I rarely play all the notes I'm fingering. So I may finger a Bm, but actually play a B5 or even just a single B note!
QUOTE]

I'm glad you mentioned the above, Chris. For me, unless I need my other fingers (esp. the pinky) to hit an extra note off of the main chord shape, I fret or finger the whole chord even though I may only need two or three of the strings at some point. Since I play mostly fingerstyle, odds are I'll hit the other strings either by chance or on purpose so they might as well be the right notes. Just my $.02

Ahhh........To B Or Not To B.
ya gotta live dangerously!!!
I figure that if I fret more than I need the chances are that I'll play em anyway wheather I want to or not so I eliminate that temptation and just finger the ones I need. Usually makes changes faster, too. Good target practice for my picking hand as well.

" I think, therfore I "Bs"...
Old 08-17-2005, 01:16 PM

Yep, and these are the 2 schools.

Honestly, I only finger the full chord when I'm playing traditional A, D or E barre shapes (referenced like the CAGED system), and it's simply because those are the first way I learned to play some of these chords and that's just what my hand naturally does.

Lately, I've been playing around with some of the unusual fingerings I mentioned above and those don't really conform to the same needs, so I'll only finger the needed notes, while muting the strings that don't belong in the chord.

What was B B4 4?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
What was B B4 4?
B3???
Hirade = E9;Tak = TC135SC

http://www.guitarace.net
Old 08-17-2005, 01:41 PM

Ah, the venerable Hammond

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 08-17-2005, 03:14 PM

I prefer my hamond rye B4 5 , flattened by a 3rd and augmented by a 5th of vodka and tonic.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:21 PM

LOL! Koa!

Old 08-17-2005, 04:38 PM

Default On a serious note..

Getting back to the "B" thing for a minute..here's one...2 x 1 x 0 x...Nice inversion when you pluck it.
Old 08-18-2005, 02:43 AM

Smile On a not so serious note...

As of now the B chord has the attention of 55 posts.
What about Bb ?
Old 08-18-2005, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern
As of now the B chord has the attention of 55 posts.
What about Bb ?
Tune down a half step..
Old 08-18-2005, 09:54 AM

I never liked Bb. I'll leave it to those who aren't as sharp

Old 08-18-2005, 10:05 AM

Wink

That would be the horn section...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell