The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 12:03 PM

Default What happened to new Martin guitar offerings?

I own an HD 35 and an OM 35, with rosewood, and was recently saving up for my third, thinking of a maple or mahogany back/sides in size 00-18, or something else comfortable in size.

The Martin guitar website used to show about 100 different guitars in every wood and size imaginable. There were the little icons of all these different guitars you could click on and view. It also brought up the specs of every guitar.

Now those pics are almost all gone. I am sure you can get whatever you want from the custom shop, but what the heck happened to all the 00-18s and OMs? They are all gone, or maybe I just can't see them. There aren't even as many dreds as I used to see.

Has Martin pared back the number of standard issue models?
Old 02-16-2020, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

A couple years ago, Martin "Reimagined" most of their 'Standard Series' lineup. Most if not all guitars now sport a 1 3/4 nut neck with 2 5/32" string spacing, and use the MLO/PA taper neck profile. There were also some bracing changes to several of the guitars including the D-28, D-35, and D-41 which now have the forward-shifted X.

If you click on the Standard Series on Martin's website, you'll see everything. Click on a guitar, then scroll down on the page and click "full specifications" to expand the information.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 02-16-2020, 02:03 PM

Thanks very much
Old 02-16-2020, 06:17 PM

In the Standard Series section, the 00-18 does in fact appear, with all the spec etc you mention.
https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...-series/00-18/

No OM-18 though.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 02-16-2020, 09:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
what the heck happened to all the 00-18s and OMs?
Not sure what you mean. There’s always been one standard 00-18. There was an Authentic 12 fret 00-18 for a few years. And some other 00 guitars (including the slope 00 CEO-7). But there was never a long list of multiple available 00-18s.

Same for OMs. There have been Authentic that have come and gone, but those standard OM-21 and OM-28s are still sitting pretty. (I was sad to see the 000-28VS discontinued a few years ago though. Poor sales, such a beautiful guitar.)

The vintage/marquis/GE series got axed, and there’s a new line called the Modern Deluxe series. There’s an OM-28 there too. No 00s yet though.

Martins never offered anything regular with maple. Sure would be cool though—especially a 12-fret 000!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:07 PM

I found what I needed. I think the page just wasn't loading properly.

About 5 years ago, I remember seeing a little icon of a Martin with maple back and sides. I think it was a 000 or an OM, but could be wrong. Anyway it's not there now.

My OM 35 has been discontinued. A loss to the world IMO, because mine is so balanced. My classical training has helped me to get a lush sound out of the trebles by attacking with the side of the nail and pushing DOWN as I strike (not across).

To be honest I dislike the 3 piece back on my OM and the HD35. It looks like what it is ... a patch. I suspect this is the reason for slow sales, but I like the sound. Mine is in amberbust from the Custom shop.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
To be honest I dislike the 3 piece back on my OM and the HD35. It looks like what it is ... a patch. I suspect this is the reason for slow sales, but I like the sound. Mine is in amberbust from the Custom shop.
I don’t think the aesthetics had much to do with the OM-35 being discontinued years ago as much as the tone. It had a reputation of being “the mellow Martin,” and having bought one blind, I can attest to that attribute. Very midrange scooped, very mellow, and not particularly lively or vibrant.

The D-35 however sells very well and has for a long time.

The HD-35 can sometimes be too much of a good thing. With the 1/4” bracing, style 35 dreads are already bass heavy and midrange scooped. Now scallop those braces (on the HD-35), and now you’ve supercharged the bass ‘womp’ and mid scoop. Not for everyone.

Glad you like your OM-35 and found a good one for your style of play!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
ize