The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Leo had given up 12 String until he encountered the Taylors.

Bob

Major tendinitis if I remember correctly...
Old 02-16-2020, 08:34 PM

And the best thing is that, if you buy and play one of these, you'll sound exactly like Leo!

Not.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Boy, if I was only in the market for a $50,000 12, I'd be right there!!!!!!!!!!
Exactly!!!!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 02-16-2020, 09:29 PM

I got the same email ... what an opportunity this is
Old 02-16-2020, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor814 View Post
Yeah, I can't wait either. The last time I attended one of Stropes' Kottke workshops a few years ago he mentioned that they planned to complete and/or rework all of the tunes on this album, but I assumed they would just be his typical single transcriptions. Putting them all together in a complete book will be really neat. It will be interesting to see if they represent note for note transcriptions of the actual recorded pieces. More typically John would produce transcriptions that represented the point to which the composition had evolved when Kottke stopped including it in his stage repertoire, but which often didn't correlate 100% with any particular recording.
When I went, a couple of years ago, he did note that they are reworking all of them. So the Vaseline Machine Gun will be what is on the album, not the "modern" version Stropes offered for years, etc. He's been putting them out for a bit now, for many pieces just to the participants in his summer workshops. I got "Cripple Creek" as an unpublished bonus when I went.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Boy, you'd have to be a serious Kottke fan to pay those prices.
Surprisingly "affordable" for that vintage Bozo! Yep, a provenance markup, but not that bad. Bozo's go for pretty serious prices......
Old 02-18-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBS View Post
When I went, a couple of years ago, he did note that they are reworking all of them. So the Vaseline Machine Gun will be what is on the album, not the "modern" version Stropes offered for years, etc. He's been putting them out for a bit now, for many pieces just to the participants in his summer workshops. I got "Cripple Creek" as an unpublished bonus when I went.
I guess I hadn't looked at Stropes' website recently; apparently he has 11 of the 14 cuts on the album already available as single transcriptions. I knew he had done a few, but not that many. I think the last workshop I attended included "The Driving of the Year Nail", but that was a few years ago. I also discovered that I have a copy of "Cripple Creek" from 'Mudlark' as well, which doesn't appear on Stropes' site, so maybe we attended the same workshop.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 02-23-2020, 08:15 AM

I’d love to attend the 2020 workshop. I also signed up the for the emails just because I’m a big Leo fan, and want to see photos of all these amazing guitars he has used over the years. I just purchased a used copy of FBJ #38 with him on the cover. Anyone have any experience playing his Taylors or other models?
Old 02-23-2020, 12:23 PM

Are these guitars up on Reverb yet? I can't seem to find them if they are.

Martin OM-28 Authentic 1931
Taylor Cocobolo GCce 2008 Fall Limited Edition
Paragon Cocobolo/cedar GOM
Cervantes Signature Rodriguez
Eastman Cabaret JB
Tacoma JM1612C
Old 02-23-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismitchell View Post
I’d love to attend the 2020 workshop. I also signed up the for the emails just because I’m a big Leo fan, and want to see photos of all these amazing guitars he has used over the years. I just purchased a used copy of FBJ #38 with him on the cover. Anyone have any experience playing his Taylors or other models?
It was over a decade ago and I was shopping for a 12-string when I last played a Taylor LK model. I recall liking it, and it was back and forth the Guild JF-30 I eventually bought. Part of this was the Westerly factory had just closed and kind of wanted a Westerly Guild.

I love Leo, but I don't/can't play like him. I was tuning to concert pitch or Eb to Eb then and I believe he tunes down to maybe as low a C to C. I don't recall the Taylor sounding bad at E to E though.

I play more dropped tunings now, and though I like my Guild still there are times I wonder about the "road not taken."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion