The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 12:10 AM
Charter Member

I own a small army of Eastman guitars (all 2016 or newer), and the nut widths are all spot-on to specs. There were some issues with early models, but they seem to have really upped their game over the last five years. The necks can vary by individual guitar, but that's the price of choosing a handcrafted brand vs. factory made. The rest of their build quality and voicing has become remarkably consistent. Hope this helps!
Old 02-18-2020, 11:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I own a small army of Eastman guitars (all 2016 or newer), and the nut widths are all spot-on to specs. There were some issues with early models, but they seem to have really upped their game over the last five years. The necks can vary by individual guitar, but that's the price of choosing a handcrafted brand vs. factory made. The rest of their build quality and voicing has become remarkably consistent. Hope this helps!
Vida, yes, you do. I think you actually have more Eastmans in your home than they have in their factory.

Have you played the model discussed here? Do you own one?

Thanks,
Scott
Old 02-18-2020, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

I haven't played the E1D, but I own two other open pore Eastman guitars (actually, my daughter has both of them) and considered buying it about a year ago. The open pore Sapele is a little brighter and has more of an "in your face" sound than its nitro-finished siblings. I wanted a deeper, more classic tone, so I went with the E8D (nitro Rosewood/Sitka dread), which is a fabulous beast!
Old 02-19-2020, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

I received my E6D today. Measured the nut and it is 1 3/4" as its supposed to be. Not sure what year this one is.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-20-2020, 02:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I haven't played the E1D, but I own two other open pore Eastman guitars (actually, my daughter has both of them) and considered buying it about a year ago. The open pore Sapele is a little brighter and has more of an "in your face" sound than its nitro-finished siblings. I wanted a deeper, more classic tone, so I went with the E8D (nitro Rosewood/Sitka dread), which is a fabulous beast!
Vida, thanks. I don't have much room in my house for more guitars. Gotta thin the herd a bit.

Thanks Again,
Scott
Old 02-20-2020, 07:30 AM

If you want 1 11/16 nut width, the Eastman slope shouldered guitars should be considered. They also have slightly shorter scale length.
I really love both my Eastman SS-Ltd models.
My brother is waiting for his tax return to buy the E40D sight unseen based on hearing my E1SS-LTD. He's very impulsive, and his job has many vicissitudes. Every guitar he's bought has ended up in the pawn shop. I'm just glad I talked him out of a Martin D35.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
If you want 1 11/16 nut width, the Eastman slope shouldered guitars should be considered. They also have slightly shorter scale length.
My brother is waiting for his tax return to buy the E40D sight unseen based on hearing my E1SS-LTD. He's very impulsive, and his job has many vicissitudes. Every guitar he's bought has ended up in the pawn shop. I'm just glad I talked him out of a Martin D35.
When (if) I get an Eastman it will be one of these because I just am not comfortable with the 1 3/4 nut width. I also like the shorter scale.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-20-2020, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakybird View Post
When he's about to send the E40D to the pawn shop, message me.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Vida, thanks. I don't have much room in my house for more guitars. Gotta thin the herd a bit.

Thanks Again,
Scott
That's b/c you live in LA, where the houses are small.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Taking a close look at this model. Would love to hear from new owners and their initial impressions.

scott memmer
Old 05-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

Scott...I don't have the E1D but do have the E2D Cedar and it's stellar especially for $509? Best Eastman I've owned...hands down and I've had the E20D-TC and currently the E10OM-TC. Sometimes less is more?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 05-29-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Taking a close look at this model. Would love to hear from new owners and their initial impressions.

scott memmer
I love my E1D. I don't know if the hand built nature of these leads to inconsistencies, but mine is incredibly dark sounding for fingerstyle - and I parted with a couple of US made Martins after realizing that the Eastman produced a better tone for what I do. I mention the inconsistency because I also briefly owned an E2D with cedar, and I thought my E1D was a much darker, richer sounding guitar - which is not what I would have expected!

As fantastic as the E1D is for fingerstyle, with my heavy handed strumming, it can sound a little muddy at times - I don't typically strum, so this is a non-issue for me. I still say for my light fingerstyle the E1D is tied for the best dread I've ever played (the other being a Taylor grand pacific). It produces an amazing sound, regardless of the price.
PRS SE P20E Parlor
Martin Backpacker
Old 08-26-2020, 10:03 PM

Just got a E1D today. Rolled the dice and got it off Amazon. It is an absolute cannon. Perfectly set up by the seller (Sims Music). The stock tuners are a big step up from the borderline junk that came on my E1SS-ltd and won't need replacing. Mine has satin top and headstock. The top finish is very level and will be easy to polish out to a gloss. It's also perfectly quartered with heavy silking. I currently have a E10SS-v, E1SS, HE120 and have previously owned a E10D and sitka/hog OOO. The E1D is the best of the bunch. Loudest acoustic I've ever owned. Articulate and balanced. I haven't bonded with the adi models... too much string separation or something. Sitka/Sapele just works for me.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:09 AM

Every time I pick up my E1d I can't help but smile. The tone it produces and the feel of the neck make it a pleasure to play. I've owned several dreads that fall into the same price range as the E1d and it is far and away the winner IMO.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNO View Post
Just got a E1D today. Rolled the dice and got it off Amazon. It is an absolute cannon. Perfectly set up by the seller (Sims Music). The stock tuners are a big step up from the borderline junk that came on my E1SS-ltd and won't need replacing. Mine has satin top and headstock. The top finish is very level and will be easy to polish out to a gloss. It's also perfectly quartered with heavy silking. I currently have a E10SS-v, E1SS, HE120 and have previously owned a E10D and sitka/hog OOO. The E1D is the best of the bunch. Loudest acoustic I've ever owned. Articulate and balanced. I haven't bonded with the adi models... too much string separation or something. Sitka/Sapele just works for me.
Now that's an amazing quote. I'm GASing for an E10ss/v. But may need to try Sitka/Sapele combo. I already know their sapele is fantastic with Cedar!

Last edited by Shishigashira; 08-27-2020 at 11:54 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion