The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-11-2020, 08:05 PM

Default Guitars that sound great recorded

I'm curious what guitars sound best recorded to you. I recently got a second-hand Lowden F32 and I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. The craftsmanship is excellent, it plays beautifully but I'm a little underwhelmed with how it sounds recorded. It also doesn't seem to like fast strumming. I'm reluctantly considering exchanging it.

Here's a comparison between the OM21 (returned due to defect) and the Lowden. I think the OM21 sounds a lot better recorded.

Lowden:

Martin OM21:

Can you hear what I mean? It's like there's a sweetness to the notes that is missing with the Lowden. I spoke to the guitar shop and they're willing to give me full credit for what I paid for it meaning I wouldn't be out of pocket. I think I'm starting to realise I prefer mahogany over rosewood so would probably be looking at a new Gibson J45 standard or a Martin D18.

If you think the Lowden sounds great recorded and I am nuts please let me know. I'm absolutely sick of GAS and have been notoriously awful for returning guitars lately.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:11 PM

It's not about which guitar sounds better recorded. Rather, it's about which guitar best complements your voice and playing when recorded.

I'm leaning toward the Martin in this regard.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflehead View Post
It's not about which guitar sounds better recorded. Rather, it's about which guitar best complements your voice and playing when recorded.

I'm leaning toward the Martin in this regard.
Oddly enough when I sing with it I don’t get the impression it doesn’t complement my voice, a problem I had with a Taylor previously. I’ve also barely touched my 00015m since I got it as it is a big improvement on that guitar in most areas. I do find it very difficult to mic it well though.

Old 02-11-2020, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

I can't really hear the guitars that well, can you post tracks without vocals?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-11-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I can't really hear the guitars that well, can you post tracks without vocals?
The OM21 is gone so I can’t do that. This is the Lowden in DADGAD but I am primarily a singer and rarely play instrumental https://clyp.it/wehdxtuz

Old 02-11-2020, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
The OM21 is gone so I can’t do that. This is the Lowden in DADGAD but I am primarily a singer and rarely play instrumental https://clyp.it/wehdxtuz
I liked the OM21 better.

Maybe the Lowden needs a heavier gauge string?

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-11-2020, 08:58 PM

I once bought the best guitar I'd ever heard recorded. Some of you may have even heard it on a Candyrat recording.

It was the worst guitar I've ever played.

I learned you can EQ a recording to alter the sound of any guitar and make it sound great, even spectacular, when in reality it's a lousy instrument.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-11-2020, 09:56 PM

According to J.P. Cormier the Boucher Studio Goose is stellar.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 02-11-2020, 10:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
Oddly enough when I sing with it I don’t get the impression it doesn’t complement my voice, a problem I had with a Taylor previously. I’ve also barely touched my 00015m since I got it as it is a big improvement on that guitar in most areas. I do find it very difficult to mic it well though.
The Lowden has quite a bit bigger box, in width and depth, compared to the OM. I think it's easier to get good recordings of 00s and OMs than larger (especially deeper) guitars. Have you experimented much with different recording setups with the Lowden?

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 02-11-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:32 PM

To my ears, Lowden's excel at fingerstyle. I'd never consider a Lowden for strumming. That's not what they were designed to do. Don't get me wrong, you can strum a Lowden until the cows come home, but that's just not what they excel at. There is a natural compression I hear with them that helps to even out every note, and an immediatacy to the note that makes pulling a melody out of a lot of ringing notes possible. They are exceptional in that regard IMHO. For example:

For me, that's not what I look for in a strumming instrument. They are too "even" - strum harder and it still sounds the same. For that sort of thing, I personally think the Taylor GP's (517 and 717's) are some of the best recording guitars on the market. They may lack the booming low end, but that is a good thing for recording. That's why OM's and 000's record so well.

You style is kind of a mix between strumming and flatpicking to my ears. I think you are on the right track. The Martin influenced sound works better for what you do. Again, if you can, give the Taylor GP's a go. It might just be the thing you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jklotz; 02-11-2020 at 11:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:45 PM

Very nice playing and a sweet instrumental. Guitar sounds great too.

Larrivee, LV-03E Sitka/Peruvian Walnut
Bourgeois, Dreadnaught DB Signature, Italian Spruce/Madagascar Rosewood
Old 02-12-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazervalley View Post
Very nice playing and a sweet instrumental. Guitar sounds great too.
That was in regards to my post? Just to be clear, that is a tune I'm currently working on, but that is not me. It is just a good example, IMHO, of what a Lowden does well.

Check out his youtube channel though, he does some great stuff.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:04 AM

I agree that, on these recordings, the Martin sounds better. The Lowden sounds muffled, with less presence, compared to the Martin.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The Lowden has quite a bit bigger box, in width and depth, compared to the OM. I think it's easier to get good recordings of 00s and OMs than larger (especially deeper) guitars. Have you experimented much with different recording setups with the Lowden?
I’ve tried various different mic positions.

If it’s the size of the guitar that is the issue would I encounter the same issues with a dreadnought then? Part of what is drawing me towards Gibson J45 as a replacement is that I’ve been told they record well. I also don’t want another 000/OM if I can avoid it.

Old 02-12-2020, 03:52 AM

Certainly, in the examples you posted, the OM21 sounds clearer than the F32.

However, there are plenty of recordings of the F32 sounding stellar, and it is generally recognised for its clarity.

Before you return another guitar, I believe it would be worth investing time (and possibly some money) on improving your recording skills (and equipment?). There are so many factors which can affect a sound recording of this type that without knowledge of the recording environment, microphone type, number, placement etc. it is difficult to be of much help.

I would strongly suggest detailing as much of your recording setup as you can and starting a new thread, including the F32 sound clip, in the ‘Record’ sub-forum here asking for help.

With your evident singing and playing skills I think you owe it to yourself to achieve a better representation of what you can achieve (gosh, that sounds patronising, but I can assure you it is meant to be).

Of course, recording aside, if the F32 is not doing it for you then you should return it.

Regards,
Clive.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD