The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-07-2020, 08:58 AM

Well, my first guitar in 1970-something was a Guild d25.
I now have coming early next week a Guild Orpheum that I'm hoping is "THAT" guitar. Having done some research over at the "Let's talk Guilds" forum, it appears that there were only 20-25 of these 12 fretters made, and maybe 5 or 6 o f the mahoganys with natural tops.

Can not wait for the big box to get here!!
scott
Old 02-07-2020, 09:02 AM

I don't have a favorite brand. I own Martins, Breedlove, Guild, Eastman, Takamine, Tacoma ... each because of its peculiar qualities that made them stand out from the rest. What does it mean? That I am fortunate to have the wherewithal to afford them and the skill to play them.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:16 AM
Guest 33123

For me it's Gibsons and Martins. The iconic designs, the tone and feel, the history. Much like Andy I have a lot of guitar books and I like to read about them. I do have some bad National GAS happening right now so I'm digging into them as well. Another set of iconic designs.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I'm not sure that I have a favorite brand. 15 years ago, I probably would have said Martin, but since then I have played so many fine guitars by a variety of big brands, small shops and individual luthiers, that I have several favorites. My first custom was made by Kathy Wingert and I also own another one of hers that I bought used, so I guess she must be my favorite.
That said, my most recent guitar was made by Randall Kramer and I have been playing it a lot since I took delivery of it in July.

I have played a number of Santa Cruz and Huss & Dalton guitars that I would be happy to own and have played and own or owned fine guitars by Yamaha, Gibson, and Alvarez. And I think that it is the music that means more to me than the guitar though they go hand in hand. I am not much for jewelry or antiques or other objects so my guitars are probably the one physical thing that I have some attachment to other than my home. If I had the misfortune to lose my home, I could still carry one of my guitars on my back.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 02-07-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added content
Old 02-07-2020, 09:21 AM

I have had a nice classical since college. When we moved to Kentucky it seemed like a Martin D-28 was the guitar to have, but with 4 kids it was never in the budget. In my forties my wife and kids saved and gave me about half the money for the Martin. I began saving the rest and shopping. I loved the Martins, but found that for my playing finger style the Taylors were better. So 20 years ago I bought a 414 and became a Taylor brand boy. I confess that I do that with guitars just like with my cameras (Canon).
It was a little hard to be a Taylor brand boy in the hills 20 years ago because all people recognized was Martin guitars and Gibson Banjos.
So for years I was a logo looker, to see who else had a Taylor, but sort of still wanting a Martin. This year I got a Martin D15 and it sounds great, but I still like the Taylor neck.
And to make it even weirder I really like an Orpheum maybe better.
All that to say that I finally after all these years am getting away from being a brand boy. Hope I can completely break those shackles.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Well, my first guitar in 1970-something was a Guild d25.

I now have coming early next week a Guild Orpheum that I'm hoping is "THAT" guitar. Having done some research over at the "Let's talk Guilds" forum, it appears that there were only 20-25 of these 12 fretters made, and maybe 5 or 6 o f the mahoganys with natural tops.

Can not wait for the big box to get here!!

scott

Be sure and read the thread on Orpheum name history
Old 02-07-2020, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
... I don't have an affinity for one brand over another ...
Wait, what ?????????
Old 02-07-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
I grew up in Lewiston, Maine in the 1960’s. At the time, it was a typical New England mill town where thousands toiled in shoe shops and textile factories for little more than $2 an hour. The refuse from those plants dumped directly into the Androscoggin River, which was identified as one of the 10 most polluted in the entire country. I smelled that flowing cesspool nearly every day on my walk to school, and marveled at the buildings along its banks whose paint was stripped bare from the clapboards by those acrid vapors. It was the kind of place that you loved only because it was home.

In time, the mills and shoe shops shut down, and state and federal law prohibited the paper mills up stream from venting their poisonous spleens into that poor river. And I moved away.

Last year, at 63, I bought my first guitar. And started taking lessons. And I found this extraordinary online resource. My headlong dive into all things guitar included something called boutique guitar shops. And a name that I knew from the past, Dana Bourgeois, was frequently mentioned, and always with great respect. I remembered that name, and perhaps the man as well, from my days in law school and the contra dance scene in Portland, in the early 1980’s. I knew him as a fiddle player back then. And I, as a long time woodwinds guy, occasionally played penny whistle at dances.

I thought nothing more of Dana until his name surfaced in the course of my immersion. And I discovered that the legendary boxes he was making were crafted in one of those behemoth mill buildings, not far from the Androscoggin River, that I would walk by on my trips “down town” as a child. It thoroughly fascinated me that he had resurrected and brought back to life at least a fraction of that old, long neglected mill building on Canal St. More than that, I was surprised at the civic pride I felt knowing that world class guitars were being made in my home town, a place I thought to be distinguished by its lack of distinction.

Eventually, I felt I needed to honor that effort, and acquired a lovely 12 fret Slope D in torified Adi and mahogany. And every time I take it out of its case, I think, we both grew up about a mile from each other. But that is only one reason why this guitar, and its maker, means something to me. It just happens to make amazing music. Dare I say, the sound of home.
David
How poignant, D1. I think it's a great tribute, and also great that you started playing last year. Thanks for the terrific read.
Best,
LarryK.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkristians View Post
How poignant, D1. I think it's a great tribute, and also great that you started playing last year. Thanks for the terrific read.
Best,
LarryK.
Very kind, Larry. And much obliged.
I have fallen head over heels in love with the guitar.
Retiring this year from my law practice. The guitar has already taken its place as my jealous mistress.
David
Old 02-07-2020, 10:41 AM

Brands mean nothing in terms of how much I like a particular guitar. At one time, it meant a lot to me, but that was misguided and a result of being told what to believe.

Brands are important to those who hold the belief that all guitars of a certain brand and model sound alike, a belief that I and many others, don't share.

Brands do lend guidance in most instances, of quality and construction, and that's an important guideline.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-07-2020, 10:49 AM

Oh I love the idea of this thread!

Taylor - Means that I've found a guitar that I chose because of the sound and NOT the brand. I was a Martin guy through and through, but the Grand Pacifics just won out over the D-18 and J-45 I had in my stable when I got the Taylors.

Gibson - Means that I have a classic horse in the stable that I can ride when I'm feeling that vintage itch.

PRS - Nostalgia only. I no longer desire to own PRS guitars, but they were the dreams of my childhood. I keep my SC245 because it is a really good guitar, but I want to own at least one nostalgic guitar.

Fender - Last but not least, Fender is my lifeblood. I'm a strat guy at heart, so Fender tone is where it is at for me.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:07 AM

I spent thirty years playing a Guild D-25 while wishing I'd had enough for a Martin D18. I bought my Guild new in 1973 for $240, and the Martin cost twice that much, which was beyond what I could afford as an undergraduate. Ten years of grad school followed, and money was so tight I still needed to settle for the Guild.

Strangely enough, I had three different playing partners I would gig with over those years who all played D18s. Every one felt that my D-25 complemented their guitar in a good way, so I kept the GAS turned all the way down.

Didn't purchase my first Martin until the Guild was completely worn out, needing a neck reset, refretting and a bridge replacement. It was going to cost several times more to fix than I'd originally purchased it for. More to the point, it was going to cost more to fix the Guild than to replace it with a Martin.

That was a no-brainer. And I still have that Martin, and it still blows me away whenever I play it. I'm sure I appreciate it more than those who start off with such a nice guitar.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliberate1 View Post
I grew up in Lewiston, Maine in the 1960’s. At the time, it was a typical New England mill town where thousands toiled in shoe shops and textile factories for little more than $2 an hour. The refuse from those plants dumped directly into the Androscoggin River, which was identified as one of the 10 most polluted in the entire country. I smelled that flowing cesspool nearly every day on my walk to school, and marveled at the buildings along its banks whose paint was stripped bare from the clapboards by those acrid vapors. It was the kind of place that you loved only because it was home.

In time, the mills and shoe shops shut down, and state and federal law prohibited the paper mills up stream from venting their poisonous spleens into that poor river. And I moved away.

Last year, at 63, I bought my first guitar. And started taking lessons. And I found this extraordinary online resource. My headlong dive into all things guitar included something called boutique guitar shops. And a name that I knew from the past, Dana Bourgeois, was frequently mentioned, and always with great respect. I remembered that name, and perhaps the man as well, from my days in law school and the contra dance scene in Portland, in the early 1980’s. I knew him as a fiddle player back then. And I, as a long time woodwinds guy, occasionally played penny whistle at dances.

I thought nothing more of Dana until his name surfaced in the course of my immersion. And I discovered that the legendary boxes he was making were crafted in one of those behemoth mill buildings, not far from the Androscoggin River, that I would walk by on my trips “down town” as a child. It thoroughly fascinated me that he had resurrected and brought back to life at least a fraction of that old, long neglected mill building on Canal St. More than that, I was surprised at the civic pride I felt knowing that world class guitars were being made in my home town, a place I thought to be distinguished by its lack of distinction.

Eventually, I felt I needed to honor that effort, and acquired a lovely 12 fret Slope D in torified Adi and mahogany. And every time I take it out of its case, I think, we both grew up about a mile from each other. But that is only one reason why this guitar, and its maker, means something to me. It just happens to make amazing music. Dare I say, the sound of home.
David

Wow.
Beautiful sentiment, beautifully written.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:33 AM

I used to have one and that was Taylor. Now I have a fascination with the quality and value of Yamaha. I'm sure this may change next time I find the next greatest thing but honestly, I don't think a brand matters as long as you like it.
2019 Yamaha FGx5
2020 Yamaha AC3M Deluxe
2019 Yamaha FG800
2005 Taylor 214
Ibanez AEB10E Acoustic Bass
Old 02-07-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
Be sure and read the thread on Orpheum name history
Already done!
scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion