The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2020, 07:42 AM

Here is an idea. Some members of AGF decide to donate a guitar to this student. If a number of us throw in a few dollars each $10-$30 via PayPal to Big_Jilm he can purchase it. Even if it is labeled a loaner the girl could still use it. Figure out someway she can have this guitar for her own personal use. Do what you have to, run it by the principle, her parents etc. Tell them others want to help

Money should not be an issue and I would gladly give $50 or more. I’ll pay for the whole thing if I have to, but knowing the people here that won’t be necessary. I am so sick and tired of this over sensitive political correctness crap. I grew up very poor in a single parent home and if it wasn’t for the kindness and generosity of strangers we would not have made it.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:47 AM

Is there anything a good tech could do with a setup? You could avoid any appearance of favoritism by getting her current guitar set up as well as possible. She would still have the same guitar and nobody would be any the wiser.
Old 02-05-2020, 07:52 AM

This is a super nice gesture on your part!!! Maybe this young lady is the next Taylor Swift in the making...so to speak...and you are giving her a small but ever so important boost on her way...ya never know?!

I am going to trust that you have a proper sense of the propriety of the situation as far as "gifting" her a guitar.

But here is an idea that might dull the potential "knifes edge" of this issue.

What if you gift her the beater S6 that she loves to play, and get yourself a new guitar? That way you are not buying her a new shiny gift, you are giving her the old banger that she already uses and really likes and plays super well.

Then you could just get a new "room beater" to leave at school.

Win, win???

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-05-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Here is an idea. Some members of AGF decide to donate a guitar to this student. If a number of us throw in a few dollars each $10-$30 via PayPal to Big_Jilm he can purchase it.
Great, now his creepy internet weirdo old-men friends are involved. We'll sound like a pedo ring!

Seriously though, I don't think it's a problem coming from him, it just has to be done the right way (via parents/principle/whatever)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Maybe this young lady is the next Taylor Swift
ok, cheaper plan - break her current guitar over your knee and walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
What if you gift her the beater S6 that she loves to play, and get yourself a new guitar?
that might have better optics actually.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:07 AM

Another option in your price range is the Washburn F11S. Feels like Washburn has been making better introductory guitars lately.

https://www.amazon.com/Washburn-WF11.../dp/B008CMVWLY

Last edited by numb fingertips; 02-05-2020 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphH View Post
...as the parent of two girls, if at that age one came home with a $200 'gift' from a male teacher that no-one else had received, I would be instantly suspicious. Esp if it was brand new vs an old beater/cast-off that had been knocking round the school for years and was being 'retired' anyway. Not that I would go to the school and make trouble based on mere suspicion - but some parents would.
And some parents of classmates might as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post

This is very generous of you, and it is really sad that we have to consider these things when all you want to do is get a decent guitar in the hands of someone who would appreciate it.

I suppose it is what it is ...

~ Paul
I agree with Paul and Ralph and have seen both first and second hand how acts of kindness toward students can be taken out of context and misconstrued. I kind of regret that I initiated this line of posting when the OP was merely looking for guitar advice; but after 70 years on this earth, 30+ as a teacher, I just know what I know and would feel negligent to not share this concern...

Last edited by RP; 02-05-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:27 AM

OP Here -

Thanks everyone for the thoughts. I should mention that I know her parents, and would talk with them first, for sure. I would also lie and say that I had the guitar lying around, and wanted to give it to her because my wife wants me to get rid of some of my stuff

DownUpDave - thanks so very much for the generosity - but it's OK, I'll handle it. That is a very nice thought, and I appreciate it!

As far as giving her the Seagull goes, I'd rather get her the Yamaha or some equivalent as there is some sentimental reasons I'd like to keep it - but if push came to shove, I'd give it to her in a heartbeat.

She's a great kid with a lot of talent, and I just want to help out. But yes - I'll talk with her parents FIRST.

Thank you all very much.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
La Michoacana Classical (my Dad's guitar)
Beat to heck Seagull S6
Ovation Celebrity 12 string
Fender CD 60 dread that lives in Greece
Harmonicas in a Farmer rack
Old 02-05-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Ibanez AW54
The AW54 is about the same quality as that starter toy... 99% chance the top is all ready bulging out of the box..
Old 02-05-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Here is an idea. Some members of AGF decide to donate a guitar to this student. If a number of us throw in a few dollars each $10-$30 via PayPal to Big_Jilm he can purchase it. Even if it is labeled a loaner the girl could still use it. Figure out someway she can have this guitar for her own personal use. Do what you have to, run it by the principle, her parents etc. Tell them others want to help

Money should not be an issue and I would gladly give $50 or more. I’ll pay for the whole thing if I have to, but knowing the people here that won’t be necessary. I am so sick and tired of this over sensitive political correctness crap. I grew up very poor in a single parent home and if it wasn’t for the kindness and generosity of strangers we would not have made it.
You can land small body 800 or 700s for about 120$. In the end they are so insanely over built that for a student there is nothing that compares.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:35 AM

FG is a larger body guitar you may want to look at the fs800. Smaller body same price.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:37 AM

Yes, the Yamaha is about as good as you’re going to get at that price point. A lot of guitar for not very much money.

I like the idea of the AGF donating the guitar. It absolves you from a lot of potential impropriety, or appearance of. I’ll happily donate.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:37 AM

Worth considering, esp used :

Guild Jumbo Junior

Or

Seagull Rustic Mini Jumbo

Smaller bodies, shorter scales, real guitars meant to be played.

I picked up the Guild JJ for $265 used, locally.
A very nice Seagull Rustic Mini Jumbo was listed locally asking $250 shortly after I purchased the Guild.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by big jilm View Post
...I would also lie and say that I had the guitar lying around, and wanted to give it to her because my wife wants me to get rid of some of my stuff
Sorry, but I think if you have to lie about this then you already know this gesture may be problematic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
...I like the idea of the AGF donating the guitar. It absolves you from a lot of potential impropriety, or appearance of.
No it doesn't.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:52 AM

Agree that a Yamaha FS or FG is as good as it gets in that price range. Despite being very inexpensive guitars, they're totally decent!

If this idea comes to fruition, make sure to get the guitar setup nice!
Old 02-05-2020, 08:53 AM

Wow you seem to be a good and popular teacher, those are lucky children. I think the FG800 is a full sized dreadnaught and I wonder if she prefers that size. She might like an FS800 which has similar specs but smaller body size. Though if she enjoys the Seagull and is comfortable with it then a dread might be just right.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion