The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2020, 12:53 PM

The only thing that I would do is avoid doing any songs that the headliner is doing (if possible).
Old 01-31-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
If you were to ask anyone who's ever opened for a headlining band, I think you might be surprised how many big-name bands have been ignored, booed or disrespected waiting for the headliners to come on.
I'll never forget seeing The Who on their first farewell tour in '82 at the Tangerine Bowl. The B-52's opened. They were booed, and people were throwing garbage at them. Then Joan Jett came on and was treated the same.
Pretty crappy IMO that Daltrey or Townsend didn't come onstage and call out the crowd with something like "if you knuckleheadeed wide-open-mouth-breathing crackers don't straighten out and show some respect to our fellow musicians we're not playing." Of course, they didn't do that.

Last edited by Lkristians; 01-31-2020 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Masked profanity
Old 01-31-2020, 01:50 PM

Go in and kill it with what you normally play. It's great to "read the crowd" and make some adjustments, but you don't necessarily have to "align" anything with the music the headline act is playing.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:40 PM

In 1967, Jimi Hendrix opened for The Monkeys. Do you think that he changed his set list?

P.S. It didn't go very well...
Old 01-31-2020, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
In 1967, Jimi Hendrix opened for The Monkeys. Do you think that he changed his set list?

For Hendrix or the Monkees?
Old 01-31-2020, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post

1) Monkees, actually.

2) No, he didn't.

3) No, it didn't.

4) The Monkees were fans & hoped having him on their tour would bring him the attention they felt he deserved. Wrong demographic, but you can't fault Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones for trying.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
this is neither here nor there ... but ...

Thinking about this, I wonder if I'd take a 90 minute opening gig for a band whose style is very much different than my own. Hence my "wrong guy/wrong room" statement. I've been that guy, in that room, and it wasn't much fun, for me or the audience. Played what I play, competently as always, but the music wasn't what the audience expected. A very long 30 minutes, with nothing to do but soldier on.
This reminds me of Valdy's Rock And Roll Song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPdkOZ4L4WQ
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 02-01-2020, 07:13 AM

Jimi played only 8 of the scheduled 29 tour dates, and finally flipped off the Queens, NY audience and quit the tour.

While trying to get the audience to sing along to "Foxy Lady", they were yelling "Foxy Davy!" I guess he didn't know any Monkeys covers...
Old 02-03-2020, 09:21 AM

FOLLOW UP REPORT

OK so I did my "usual" set and everything turned out great. The headlining band WAS a chill funk rock band, but they were young kids and it turned out had a lot of their parents/friends in the crowd who were in their 40s-60s and loved all the classic rock covers I played. Even the band member themselves told me I did a great job and I think they liked that I offered a nice alternative to what they did.

So all in all, in went great and I didn't have to change anything!
Old 02-03-2020, 09:50 AM

great news, just more proof on that whole "if it aint broke, don't fix it." theory.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
FOLLOW UP REPORT

OK so I did my "usual" set and everything turned out great. The headlining band WAS a chill funk rock band, but they were young kids and it turned out had a lot of their parents/friends in the crowd who were in their 40s-60s and loved all the classic rock covers I played. Even the band member themselves told me I did a great job and I think they liked that I offered a nice alternative to what they did.

Excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-03-2020, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
FOLLOW UP REPORT

What a great story! Thanks for following up with us.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
If you were to ask anyone who's ever opened for a headlining band, I think you might be surprised how many big-name bands have been ignored, booed or disrespected waiting for the healiners to come on.
Sadly it must happen but in 50 years I've done a fair share of those and of course been to a few concerts too. I've been lucky enough to never witness booing from an audience .. possibly ignoring but I guess that didn't bother me. Maybe I go to the wrong places. 😊
Old 02-04-2020, 11:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
So I (as a solo acoustic act) am doing an opening 90 minute set for a young funk rock band at a music venue. I normally do mostly classic rock covers. Question is...do I change things around and do all my more "funky" material? Or do I just pick out my own best material irregardless?

thanks
Ninety minutes is a long set for an audience, in any circumstance, but esp solo. I'd opt for 60.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion