The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
My best friend has a killer T Icon in Bullitt Green, but I think both of us think Grosh can make even better necks! And personally, I've yet to hear a better strat pickup than a Fat 60's Grosh.
Those fret ends on Grosh are amazing but TA has many neck carves that can't be beat. I have owned many TA's. I agree their strat PU's are not my favorite of all time. But their hums are pretty special. Plus TA's 12-14" subtle compound radius is a home run not offered by Don.

Here's a pic of what I call my stradivarius. My 2006 TA Atom. Check the rolled edges and fret ends on a gentle compound radius. Sporting a full 1 11/16" nut width and that juicy rosewood. I wish the acoustic world would perform the operations it takes to do this radiusing.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
And why is that?

My opinion about the guitar is as valid as anyone else's, so, yeah... thanks
Because it's gratuitous and in poor taste to demean someone else's purchase like that.

Yes, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's, and also best left unexpressed.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:41 PM

At no point did Coffee attack the purchaser of this guitar.

It's a forum. Opinions happen.

I think the Acoustasonics are ugly as well. I have no idea what the hell Fender was thinking when they came up with the paint design scheme for them.

No one cares what I think. Because its a forum.

If you bought one, may you enjoy it for many years. Please tell us about your experiences with it here, because it's a forum.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-20-2020 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comments
Old 01-20-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akousticplyr View Post
At no point did Coffee attack the purchaser of this guitar.

It's a forum. Opinions happen.

I think the Acoustasonics are ugly as well. I have no idea what the hell Fender was thinking when they came up with the paint design scheme for them.

No one cares what I think. Because its a forum.

If you bought one, may you enjoy it for many years. Please tell us about your experiences with it here, because it's a forum.
I give up. I guess the notion that it's in bad taste to anonymously criticize a stranger's possession as ugly is old fashioned. Carry on.

Last edited by Acousticado; 01-20-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment from quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Those fret ends on Grosh are amazing but TA has many neck carves that can't be beat. I have owned many TA's. I agree their strat PU's are not my favorite of all time. But their hums are pretty special. Plus TA's 12-14" subtle compound radius is a home run not offered by Don.

Here's a pic of what I call my stradivarius. My 2006 TA Atom. Check the rolled edges and fret ends on a gentle compound radius. Sporting a full 1 11/16" nut width and that juicy rosewood. I wish the acoustic world would perform the operations it takes to do this radiusing.

I should have NEVER sold my Grosh Tele. Dumb!
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-20-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
So, it's pretty much a Taylor T-5...

...and a Variax
Old 01-20-2020, 09:29 PM

Alrighty everyone, let’s keep things civil. We all like different things for different reasons.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:46 PM

Eastman has three new all solid wood Grand Auditorium offerings. One with a very nice inlay, all with beveled armrest and a sound port located where it is supposed to be.

The acoustasonic fuss as I understand has Taylor working on modifications to the T5. Should be sooner than later this comes about.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
The Acoustasonic Strat is just about the most butt-ugliest guitar I've ever seen:

They bombed when they were made overseas. What makes Fender think that these new ones will do any different, and at a price tag of almost five times as much?
I'm a Tele guy, but I think the Strat version is much more attractive. It's still not really attractive. Re: the price, it reminds me of when I was trying out a PRS Hollowbody with the piezo. The salesman said, "It's basically two guitars for the price of two."
Old 01-21-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Someday I am going to have to try to go to NAMM
From all the online live from NAMM postings it seems there is a good amount of new and interesting gear being shown.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-21-2020 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
Because it's gratuitous and in poor taste to demean someone else's purchase like that.

Yes, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's, and also best left unexpressed.
It’s really like someone on an art forum saying Picasso’s art is too weird and butt ugly. The actual art aficionados understand the comment for what it is.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 01-21-2020, 02:44 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audie View Post
Eastman has three new all solid wood Grand Auditorium offerings. One with a very nice inlay, all with beveled armrest and a sound port located where it is supposed to be.

The acoustasonic fuss as I understand has Taylor working on modifications to the T5. Should be sooner than later this comes about.
There was a lot of positive excitement and energy in the Eastman booth. This may not be an objective observation, since they are friends of ours and also because I love, own and play their fine guitars. But boy, it felt good in that booth on Thursday. Martin and Gibson were the only other booths where I got that vibe.

Eastman did display at least three different Bourgeois models, all over $10 K, including one blinged out one way above that (but by far not the most expensive or blingiest guitar in the show). I took a bunch of photos, but I'm sorry to say I'm too slammed to download, crop and post them for now.

I'm excited about this alliance. It's very possible this may become an industry trend. For example, it seems to me that Eastman could work on designing a line extension upward in the Eastman lineup that would retail in the $3-5 K price range. They might even be made in the U.S. This would be great for them, us, and even Bourgeois, as they would still be well below Dana's entry-level models. As a marketer, I'd bet my bottom dollar this is already in the works, and it's possible we would see some prototypes as soon as 2021 Anaheim. No inside info at all, just my intuition.

I've heard nothing but glowing things about Dana and his company (never met him, don't know him personally), and I can tell you from personal experience that the folks at Eastman are some of the most dedicated and ethical people I've ever met. If this goes as well as I suspect it might, don't be surprised to see these kinds of "marriages" (alliances?) forming in our industry. I know NONE of the players, but here are some possibilities. Saga and Santa Cruz (they are within a couple hours of one another). Collins and Yamaha (total guess), or Yamaha and anyone (although Yamaha has so much money their inclination would be an acquisition as opposed to strategic alliance). Larivee and Guild?

There are other possibilities, and yes, these is piece in the sky. But then again who could have seen this Eastman and Bourgeois thing even three years ago?

scott memmer

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 01-21-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 06:54 PM

There was some very interesting information revealed in this interview done with James Cook of Bourgeois Guitars regarding the Eastman association. For instance, Bourgeois is training Eastman workers to tap tune tops, and eventually, it sounded like to me, the new Bourgeois/Eastman branded guitars will be built essentially by Eastman workers overseas. Everything I had read so far indicated Bourgeois would be significantly involved, especially in voicing the tops of those guitars. According to Cook, Bourgeois will voice the initial tops, but will stop doing so once the Eastman workers get it down. It also sounded like the price for the Bourgeois/Eastman guitars will be in the $2000-$3000 range. I have no affiliation with Heartbreaker Guitars who shot the video. You can scroll ahead to the 2:44 mark to skip the intro stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wFOAR6ynYA0

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion