The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 12-25-2019, 08:23 PM
Dirk Hofman Dirk Hofman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NOR * CAL
Posts: 4,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
A young cashier stopped Christmas progress yesterday.

She held the bill up to the light and there was no metal strip, and no watermark. If she would have had an alarm button I'm sure she would have set it off.

A bunch of us old timers tried to explain to her that those were relatively new inventions, and older bills had none of that, and there are still MILLIONS of them in circulation. She would have none of it, and called for help sure that she had a counterfeiter. And he was going down...

Of course, nothing happened except the line was delayed and progress stopped until she was educated. Again.

You would think this would be protocol for someone handling money...
That’s funny.

Myself, I can’t count the number of times I e had to wait interminably for some old codger to write a check at the grocery store, holding up the entire line. Takes longer than the entire checkout process.

Then there are the aging boomers who can’t figure out how to insert a chip card. Swipe 4 or 5 times, ignoring the cashier telling them it’s a chip only machine while we all wait. Finally they listen to one of us and we can move on while they grouse about how things used to be simpler...for them, I presume.

Then other classic is the elderly cashiers who can’t seem to figure out which button on the point of purchase machine they need to press so I can speed up the line with Apple Pay. Should take two seconds and I’m out. Can take up to a minute while we all wait patiently for them to figure out what seems to be a core job skill.

I guess we all have to be patient with folks who don’t adapt to change readily.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 12-25-2019, 08:40 PM
Brucebubs's Avatar
Brucebubs Brucebubs is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Eden, Australia
Posts: 13,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_L View Post
Also, try using $2 bills, just to confuse people. -)

There are stories (well, Internet stories...) of folks being accused of counterfeiting for using $2 bills, since the bills were so unfamiliar to the cashier. Sounds plausible at least - but don't most stories?

The $2 bill certainly has a beautiful reverse side, a engraving of the painting "Declaration of Independence" by John Trumbull.
Wasn't there a huge scam where $2 bills were being 'washed' and re-printed as $100 bills?
It was uncovered by Jack Reacher I believe.
__________________
Brucebubs

1972 - Takamine D-70
1980 - Morris B-50
2002 - Guild F-412
2009 - Martin Grand J12-40E Special
2011 - Martin JDP 2 #71/71
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2012 - Epiphone EJ-200/N
2012 - Huss & Dalton MJ Custom
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 12-25-2019, 09:12 PM
Denny B Denny B is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,583
Default

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but I really don't believe the real world is as arrogantly divided on this topic as the media and the internet keyboard warriors make it out to be...

But if a person is looking for friction, I guess they'll find it or create it...

Merry Christmas, everyone, and now I'm going to finish up my Christmas day noodling around with some really nice John Pearse Fast Turtle picks I got today...
__________________
"Expecting the World to treat you fairly because you're a good person, is kind of like expecting the Bull not to attack you because you're a vegetarian."
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 12-26-2019, 08:25 AM
Neil K Walk Neil K Walk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SWPA
Posts: 6,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Thatís funny.

Myself, I canít count the number of times I e had to wait interminably for some old codger to write a check at the grocery store, holding up the entire line. Takes longer than the entire checkout process.

Then there are the aging boomers who canít figure out how to insert a chip card. Swipe 4 or 5 times, ignoring the cashier telling them itís a chip only machine while we all wait. Finally they listen to one of us and we can move on while they grouse about how things used to be simpler...for them, I presume.

Then other classic is the elderly cashiers who canít seem to figure out which button on the point of purchase machine they need to press so I can speed up the line with Apple Pay. Should take two seconds and Iím out. Can take up to a minute while we all wait patiently for them to figure out what seems to be a core job skill.

I guess we all have to be patient with folks who donít adapt to change readily.
Lol!

Unfortunately this is probably going to result in a wall of text that may or may not address the irony.
__________________
~ Neil (sofa player, shower singer and basement whittler)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 12-26-2019, 10:28 AM
J-Doug J-Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
That’s funny.

Myself, I can’t count the number of times I e had to wait interminably for some old codger to write a check at the grocery store, holding up the entire line. Takes longer than the entire checkout process.

Then there are the aging boomers who can’t figure out how to insert a chip card. Swipe 4 or 5 times, ignoring the cashier telling them it’s a chip only machine while we all wait. Finally they listen to one of us and we can move on while they grouse about how things used to be simpler...for them, I presume.

Then other classic is the elderly cashiers who can’t seem to figure out which button on the point of purchase machine they need to press so I can speed up the line with Apple Pay. Should take two seconds and I’m out. Can take up to a minute while we all wait patiently for them to figure out what seems to be a core job skill.

I guess we all have to be patient with folks who don’t adapt to change readily.
So good. Nice to hear the other side of the continual boomer rants about "kids these days" around here.
__________________
Doug, guitar player of variable quality for 35 years.

Martin 000-18MC ✩ Martin 000-28VS ✩ Gibson J-45 Standard ✩ Gibson L-1 Blues Tribute ✩ Gibson L-00 Vintage ✩ National Triolian 12 Fret

My recordings
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 12-26-2019, 11:55 AM
robj144 robj144 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 8,952
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
That’s funny.

Myself, I can’t count the number of times I e had to wait interminably for some old codger to write a check at the grocery store, holding up the entire line. Takes longer than the entire checkout process.

Then there are the aging boomers who can’t figure out how to insert a chip card. Swipe 4 or 5 times, ignoring the cashier telling them it’s a chip only machine while we all wait. Finally they listen to one of us and we can move on while they grouse about how things used to be simpler...for them, I presume.

Then other classic is the elderly cashiers who can’t seem to figure out which button on the point of purchase machine they need to press so I can speed up the line with Apple Pay. Should take two seconds and I’m out. Can take up to a minute while we all wait patiently for them to figure out what seems to be a core job skill.

I guess we all have to be patient with folks who don’t adapt to change readily.
Exactly... another thing that kind of bugs me is if you're waiting in a long line at check out, and in that 5 to 10 minutes of waiting, they don't get their cash out or their card out. Then they go to pay and spend a minute fumbling through their purse or whatever and then start looking for a card, or start counting their cash. Come on people, get your money or card out while you are waiting.
__________________
Guild CO-2
Guild JF30-12
Guild D55
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 12-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Mandobart Mandobart is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Washington State
Posts: 1,825
Default

As a 50-something late boomer, all I can say to you geezers is "okay, boomers...."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 12-26-2019, 07:52 PM
Dirk Hofman Dirk Hofman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NOR * CAL
Posts: 4,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Exactly... another thing that kind of bugs me is if you're waiting in a long line at check out, and in that 5 to 10 minutes of waiting, they don't get their cash out or their card out. Then they go to pay and spend a minute fumbling through their purse or whatever and then start looking for a card, or start counting their cash. Come on people, get your money or card out while you are waiting.
To be honest, none of it actually bugs me, I was just trying to make a point. Just find the endless criticism of young people on this forum really, really...well...not my cup of tea, let's say, and of course it makes no sense since older folks do a ton of equally if not more clueless stuff.

I wish it would stop. My enjoyment and contributions here are certainly waning because of it. Just not the type of conversations I want to have.

I'm interested in what's new, what's good, what's innovative, what's challenging. Grousing about young people is none of those things.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-26-2019, 08:06 PM
J-Doug J-Doug is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
To be honest, none of it actually bugs me, I was just trying to make a point. Just find the endless criticism of young people on this forum really, really...well...not my cup of tea, let's say, and of course it makes no sense since older folks do a ton of equally if not more clueless stuff.

I wish it would stop. My enjoyment and contributions here are certainly waning because of it. Just not the type of conversations I want to have.

I'm interested in what's new, what's good, what's innovative, what's challenging. Grousing about young people is none of those things.
This us vs. them stuff is wearing me out too.
__________________
Doug, guitar player of variable quality for 35 years.

Martin 000-18MC ✩ Martin 000-28VS ✩ Gibson J-45 Standard ✩ Gibson L-1 Blues Tribute ✩ Gibson L-00 Vintage ✩ National Triolian 12 Fret

My recordings
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-26-2019, 09:45 PM
Neil K Walk Neil K Walk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SWPA
Posts: 6,718
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
To be honest, none of it actually bugs me, I was just trying to make a point. Just find the endless criticism of young people on this forum really, really...well...not my cup of tea, let's say, and of course it makes no sense since older folks do a ton of equally if not more clueless stuff.

I wish it would stop. My enjoyment and contributions here are certainly waning because of it. Just not the type of conversations I want to have.

I'm interested in what's new, what's good, what's innovative, what's challenging. Grousing about young people is none of those things.
*slow clap*

Exactly. There are no guarantees that those who are old are wise just as there should be no assumption that all who are young are stupid. Ignorance has nothing to do with age.
__________________
~ Neil (sofa player, shower singer and basement whittler)
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=