The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-07-2019, 10:39 AM

Default replacing K&K with Shatten HFN

since the HFN is getting so many rave reviews, I wonder if there are any issues with replacing a K&K with one? does the superglue mess things up?
Old 03-07-2019, 10:48 AM

No. Should not be a problem. You will need to remove the K&K with a razor tool, or small painter's 5-in-one tool. Then, you can lightly sand the bridge plate to remove the glue residue. You don't need to do too much.

However, I would take some time to consider if there are any changes in the rest of your signal chain that switching pickups would necessitate. HFN is a very nice pickup, but it's not a panacea. It's just getting 15 minutes of fame on AGF. K&K is also a very nice passive pickup. The HFN has some promise with regards to adding a sense of "air" to the sound. It is also less prone to a muddy sound. That said, if you have a K&K sound that you like, I don't think it's worth the effort to remove the K&k and replace it.
Old 03-07-2019, 10:56 AM

I agree...it's really not worth the change unless, for some odd reason, you're not happy with the K&K. If you aren't happy with the K&K, don't expect an HFN to cure anything. I've had multiple HFN and K&K equipped guitars and they are VERY similar in sound. I prefer putting HFNs in my new instruments simply because of the ease of install and that it's a Canadian company (so it please me to "buy Canadian) but I'd never consider swapping one out for the other, or vice versa!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:46 AM

My luthier spent more time removing the K+K and superglue (someone had put on a LOT of superglue) than installing the Schatten. A razor blade will take off the discs and then light sanding will remove any residue.

I'll agree that - for most people - it's probably not worth destroying a working K+K install just to replace it with a Schatten. And if you play in a group, K+K might have a little more midrange punch.

In this case I'm not like most people - the difference really makes a difference to ME. YMMV.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification