The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-05-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Maybe a new amp?

I’ve been really happy with my Schertler amps - but I spend alot of time playing in groups where I am the only “acoustic” player - I’m up against a Tele thru a Line 6 modeling amp, and an old Fender Jazz bass thru a nice bass amp, and while they can turn a couple knobs or hit a foot pedal and really alter their tone and effects, I can only really play with volume. I keep thinking it would be fun to find an amp that will let me get a good acoustic tone, but also let me change things up so I can get more altered sounds, but without it getting too complicated -

Any thoughts before I subject myself to the amp sales guys at GC?
Old 03-05-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
I’ve been really happy with my Schertler amps - but I spend alot of time playing in groups where I am the only “acoustic” player - I’m up against a Tele thru a Line 6 modeling amp, and an old Fender Jazz bass thru a nice bass amp, and while they can turn a couple knobs or hit a foot pedal and really alter their tone and effects, I can only really play with volume. I keep thinking it would be fun to find an amp that will let me get a good acoustic tone, but also let me change things up so I can get more altered sounds, but without it getting too complicated -

You might like the Line 6 L2t.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:30 PM

I don't think you'll find a better sounding amp than the Schertler. Why not think about how you want to alter your sound and get some pedals that will help you achieve what you're after?
Old 03-05-2019, 03:32 PM

As soon as you amplify the battle of volume will begin.

I have walked away from a otherwise good jam session when a couple of saxophones showed up and proceeded to out volume each other. I did have a amplifier but refused to join the battle.

I hope it works out for you good jam sessions are hard to find.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:39 PM

For me, there are two features that set acoustic amps apart from electric guitar amps. The first is the second line in and the second is the built in anti-feedback capability. If I didn't need the convenience of having a mic and a guitar go to a single amp and then be able to blend them together at appropriate levels, I'd play through an electric guitar amp, no question about it, *IF* I didn't have to fight feedback.

I get high quality acoustic guitar tone through my three different electric guitar amps, a 4x10" 40 watt Fender Bassman tube amp, a 2x12" 60 watt Bogner/Line 6 tube amp, and a 1x12" 65 watt Marshall Valvestate. That said, I have a friend who pretends to be a lead guitar player who plays a Taylor 900 something or other and a Les Paul through an electric guitar amp, and I can't tell the difference between the two guitars through it. They both sound like Les Pauls. Haha. So I don't know if my acoustic guitar/pickup/electric amp combinations are outliers or what, but they sound good and pure when I run them.

They sound good plugged straight in using my Fishman blend pickups, which of course have a mic built into them. When the mic is dialed into the blend 50/50 or more for a beautiful, natural acoustic tone, and I'm at a decent volume, it's only a matter of time before the SCREEEEEEECH!!!!!! comes on. So I have to first plug into a preamp with feedback fighting features. And when it's all said and done I take my acoustic amp instead because it's more convenient. Haha.

Frankly, I bet you could plug into a distortion pedal like a Tube Screamer and get your crunch on more easily. I might try that tonight.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:49 PM

You might look into something like the line
6 helix stomp. Allows you to add all kinds of sounds
including electric and lets you maintain your acoustic
sound as well. coupled with a sound hole plug
to help curb feedback you may find you can
turn it up a bit more to keep up.
The stomp would be an add on to your current
guitar/ amp combo. Its a stompbox kind of setup.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks so far - yeah, a pedal of some kind might do it, but that feels like a realm I dare not fall into unassisted, as there seems no end of options - but I would gladly consider it, if anyone has some suggestions snd experience. I did try a Play Acoustic, and its interesting for vocal effects, but the guitar effects are harder to play with independently, and the menus inside menus inside menus screens are maddening.

You're right about the amp battle - we've all just agreed to keep it down, but the lead guitarist gets carried away frequently. We're all getting older and deafer anyway, I guess -

Distortion pedal - ok, I'll google that -

The Line 6 Helix Stomp does look good - also looks like its got a helluva learning curve, but hopefully it would do anything I can figure out how to tell it to do - price is a bit scary - and is there any possibility it would damage my Schertler? Already had to pay a substantial repair bill on it, due to damage to the power transistors that the tech could not explain - I was worried maybe I fed it too hot a signal, or ??
Old 03-05-2019, 07:59 PM

Volume wars never end well.

boost pedals, louder amps,, what ever at the end of the day... the more players there are, the more noise everyone will make.

volume controls go from 0 to 10,, but also go from 10 to 0...

ppl, as players, we really need to learn how to "blend...…"
Old 03-06-2019, 12:50 AM
Charter Member

You might see if there are any guitarists (in your area that you know) who might lend you their pedals to try out with your guitar and amp. I‘ve had friends bring their gear to my house and teach me how their pedals work. That way you can get a feel for what they do and sound like. It is unlikely that GC will have a Schertler hanging around (but you never know ....)
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 03-06-2019, 02:33 AM

I use pedals with all my Schertler amps and they sound great. It would be easy to buy a few pedals and return them if they don't work for your situation.
Old 03-06-2019, 07:42 AM

With your Schertler, you have as good an amp as you can buy. I can’t see any point to stepping down to a lower quality amp.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:55 AM
Charter Member

Thanks - I am very happy with my Schertlers, and some kind of pedal or pedals would probably be the best choice, since I am very aware that a good amp is not an inexpensive thing. But the pedal thing is kinda scary - there seem to be more pedals out there than guitars. So - when playing acoustic plugged in, what are peoples favorites?
Old 03-06-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post

Hi. As Bob said, The Times They are a Changing....!

I might not get much support for saying this, but if you are in a band situation such as you describe, you will have to change your thinking.

Acoustic amps, good and bad, have been around for a while. But they will become the minority as players discover the benefits of modern technology surrounding amp modelling and the use of FRFR powered speakers.

Line 6 and other brands have a great line up and more and more musicians are moving into that area. Not just acoustic players, but electric players and bass players alike.

Think keyboard players quite a few years ago. Piano and organ sounds were the norm, then suddenly they had access to a zillion sounds. Not all that good in the beginning, but just look what they can do now.

The same thing is now happening to benefit guitar players. I use a unit where I can switch from acoustic to electric guitars and access hundreds of patches with the ease of a foot switch. I can get thrash metal or warm acoustic sounds in seconds. Either using their presets or programming my own. And I'm no expert in the latter. But it's easy, even for me.

Perfection...? Not at all, but in a band where you're all competing for space, it just brilliant.

There's absolutely nothing wrong in all the suggestions above, but for your situation I would have a major rethink on your approach.

Good luck....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification