The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-05-2019, 11:14 AM

I'm glad that others have to deal with keeping track of multiple wavemaps with lists. I was feeling like a lame brain because I have a little card taped to the Tonedexter to keep track of the four different wavemaps for four different guitars. I think I will print a nicer looking list just so it does not look so low-rent. It is pretty dramatic when you change guitars but forget to change wavemaps. One of mine is a resonator guitar and when you play the OM with the resonator wavemap it sounds so astonishingly bad that it makes my head spin and I hate to have that happen during a performance. Initially I thought it would be easy to keep track of only four wave maps, but I guess that ain't the way my brain works (or doesn't work).
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-05-2019, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I'm glad that others have to deal with keeping track of multiple wavemaps with lists. I was feeling like a lame brain because I have a little card taped to the Tonedexter to keep track of the four different wavemaps for four different guitars. I think I will print a nicer looking list just so it does not look so low-rent. It is pretty dramatic when you change guitars but forget to change wavemaps. One of mine is a resonator guitar and when you play the OM with the resonator wavemap it sounds so astonishingly bad that it makes my head spin and I hate to have that happen during a performance. Initially I thought it would be easy to keep track of only four wave maps, but I guess that ain't the way my brain works (or doesn't work).

Ha! Don’t go anywhere without your list of wavefiles in big letters on a card like a setlist! Or just use one guitar and not change settings ever. It is amazing that you can look at the controls and numbers when you are on a stage and just go mentally blank when you have so much other stuff to think of - guitars, strings, people asking questions, PA sound, amp sound, tuning, lyrics, chair too low, chair too high...HELP, Do you know any Doors?

My list needs redoing, but I don’t want to....commit...and glad there are not 200 slots like other gadgets. I sold some guitars....scratched them out, but also tried a couple of experiments with mag pickups and even a fully pointless file with one of my Matons and only its undersaddle instead of the dual source king of the road system....etc..etc

BluesKing777.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Ha! Don’t go anywhere without your list of wavefiles in big letters on a card like a setlist! Or just use one guitar and not change settings ever. It is amazing that you can look at the controls and numbers when you are on a stage and just go mentally blank when you have so much other stuff to think of - guitars, strings, people asking questions, PA sound, amp sound, tuning, lyrics, chair too low, chair too high...HELP, Do you know any Doors?

My list needs redoing, but I don’t want to....commit...and glad there are not 200 slots like other gadgets. I sold some guitars....scratched them out, but also tried a couple of experiments with mag pickups and even a fully pointless file with one of my Matons and only its undersaddle instead of the dual source king of the road system....etc..etc

BluesKing777.
I have pictures of my standard settings in my book.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-05-2019, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I'm sure we've discussed this before in another thread but for the sake of completeness...

If you have the wherewithal you could record the mic and pickup, then play the pickup (dry) into the TD gtr input and the mic (EQ'd, otherwise twoke) into the TD mic input.
Right, this is what I do, and it works great. It gives me reproducibility, I can always go back and recreate the wavemap (including making one for slot 22 and another for the regular slots from the same signals), and if I generally like the result, but maybe it's a tad dark or something, I can simply add a little EQ to the mic and do it again, knowing I'm only changing one thing. Rinse and repeat until I'm happy.

James May would be the guy to ask, but my wild guess would be that your hardware EQ is adding either latency (unlikely) or phase shifts (likely) to the mic sound that is confusing ToneDexter.
Old 03-06-2019, 02:33 AM

On a slightly different track - I was experimenting with a K&K loaded Waterloo 14X in my TD and couldn’t really get the sound but enjoyed the TD on Bypass! The TD is a nice sounding preamp for K&Ks! Added a smidgeon of reverb on my mixer and that is pretty close to ‘ready to rock’.

I then did the same with my old archtop with a bridge piezo and thst is nice on Bypass as well.

So if you are getting flabby and boomy results, try it on Bypass.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification