The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-18-2002, 07:08 AM
fretsandstrings

Default cuts on fret fingers

any tips for getting past a paper/razor cut, guitar string puncture, sheet metal nick, or anything like that to the fretting finger? Didn't know I had it til I ran my finger down the neck, with a string right on it. had'em before, had to lay off couple of days to let it heal. But I'm actually employed this friday/saturday. Other than chording differently, any home remedies out there?
Old 04-18-2002, 09:45 AM

I second the question and expand it to playing/ freting with a hang nail.... help.....
Old 04-18-2002, 11:43 AM

For faster healing, I'd put some Polysporyn or any other brand of antibiotic ointment. I'm not crazy about using any kind of antibiotic, but when you must, you must.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:13 PM
I know that one

If you just gotta play and can't wait for it to heal enough, I suggest super glue. If you ever used it you know it's great at bonding skin to anything. I've used it on paper cuts and it does the job.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:26 AM

That sounds gross, but I heard super glue was first developed to be used in surgery or something. Now, that may be a total non-truth that someone told me once....still, I have heard that it is completely safe to use on a paper cut.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:38 AM
fretsandstrings

I have heard the super glue thing before, but was leary...kind of a "play with cut for 2 nights" or "loose finger" debate. I was imagining doctors and nurses laughing at someone being so stupid as putting super glue in an open wound because they thought it would enable them to play a guitar ...but I won't be validating the "super glue theory" tonight, my nick is "almost" better. Thanks for the inputs!
Old 04-19-2002, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Better to use a product called New Skin which is essentially a liquid bandage that drys and protects the cut. I haven't personally needed to use this for the reasons you stated but I have used it several years back and it was a good product. Plus, it's antiseptic properties would make it more benficial than using super glue. I've included a link so you can see what it looks like but you should be able to find it at your local drug store.
http://www.drugstore.com/qxp13279_33...id_Bandage.htm
Good Luck.

Lisa
Old 04-19-2002, 07:00 AM

Default "super glue"

"Super glue" was developed for "field surgery" in Viet Nam. It was approved by the FDA a few years ago for "operating room surgery" (it is, of course, a very high quality....not readily available) I, as a fireman, have used it for over 20 yrs from time to time.. When it was the best choice at the time.... I have also seen more damage to the skin by someone trying to remove the glue that they had accidentally spilled, than would have happened if they had left it alone to wear off on it's own.... (your body oils will slowly break it down) You can also buy a "de-bonder" for a faster removal.
I would not hesitate to seal up a finger cut so that I could play my guitar... Try your local hobby shop for some pretty good stuff that will work.... (oh, and get some debonder) The usual disclaimers apply, This is my opinion, read for yourself, and don't start any new glue programs without first consulting with your Doctor.... FWIW..

P.S. Am I the only one that like the sound of the sapele backs and sides??
Old 04-19-2002, 12:56 PM

Default finger cuts

i pour peroxide into a bowl and swish the finger around in it for a few seconds. i do it about 4-5 times a day and the cut seem to heal real quick.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:41 PM

I'm thinking of sending my fingers to Elixir for poly coating. Tempted to send my neighbor's big, loud, brightly colored bird as well....

cotten
Old 04-20-2002, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking of sending my fingers to Elixir for poly coating. Tempted to send my neighbor's big, loud, brightly colored bird as well....
Cotten:
....the Super Glue should work equally as well on the beak of the big, loud brightly colored bird also......

Rick
Old 04-20-2002, 10:44 AM

Seriously though......

.....the Super Glue (cyanoacrylate) does indeed work to close up a finger slice......I've seen it work in person on a buddy's index finger that was sliced the same day he was to perform that evening. Panic.

I don't know the difference in quality, but we used the type supplied to woodworkers and luthiers. I have three different viscosity's.....very thin, medium (kinda 'syrupy') and thick. We used the thin, quick setting to seal the cut and then applied the thick version as a layer over the cut and surrounding skin.

It lasted for days and no problems set in at all.....finger healed up fine as usual.

.....standard disclaimer: I'm not a doctor and I've never played one on TV. Use at your own risk.

Rick
Old 04-22-2002, 02:26 AM

Before you use the superglue I'd apply some sort of disinfectant (rubbing alcohol, hydrogen pyroxide, etc.) I once had to take my dog to an animal ER when a cut on her ear wouldn't stop bleeding; this is what they did and it worked like a charm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell