The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-09-2017, 06:50 PM

Default Line array systems - LD Maui 5 vs. Turbosound ip500?... Which one and why?

The best way I can explain the gain issue is like this. On a standard mixer each channel has a gain/trim knob and a level. The preamp stage is governed by the gain. Most go from 0 to 60 dB. Many of the compact PA systems are designed to be used with conventional dynamic mics. Most of those are happy with 30 dB gain. So, that's what they fix them at. Saves money on the circuit and knobs. When you plug into the XLR you get a one size fits all gain. And it prevents people from over driving their compact PA system and blowing out the speakers. The downside is that they then fix the high Z line in (1/4") at a safe value of 0 dB relative to the XLR connection on the combi jack. Most of us think that is too low. Sometimes that can be switched on and off with a "pad" like the JBL Eon One. But many, like Mackie, are fixed attenuation with no switch. A way to cheat is to plug your guitar into the XLR (for the 30 dB boost) with an adaptor, specially made cable (what I use), or a direct box. It's easy to overdrive so its best to have a direct box with a 10 or 20 dB attenuator. Also, if you use the adaptor make sure your pickup is active. A passive pickup requires a high Z input and the XLR is low Z.

Last edited by martingitdave; 09-09-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:12 PM

A review of the Maui not having enough volume for what it is reflects my experience with JBL eon one
Old 09-11-2017, 06:48 AM

I have not heard the Maui 5. But I can tell you the Maui 11 G2 has enough power for what I need and I'm very happy with it. For my solo acoustic gigs it sounds fantastic.

For my acoustic trio (guitar, bass and three vocals), we are using two Maui 11s. I think for small rooms, one would be fine, but after the guys heard mine, one of them bought one, so now we can run two if needed. A musician buddy came out and heard us this past weekend and said our sound was a big improvement over my old system (Mackie SRM450 pair). The Mackies obviously have a lot more power, but the Maui has a very nice crisp clear sound more fitting for acoustic music. And to be clear, when I say "acoustic music", I'm not saying this unit is just good for light, mellow acoustic music. We play a lot of classic rock and it holds up well for what we're doing. I don't think the Maui would work well for a full band with a drummer.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
JBL EON ONE Compact
iPad with OnSong

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 01-24-2018, 02:53 PM

Hi,
Sorry to revive an old thread. I’ve got a question about any of these line array, stick systems. For vocals, do any of them sound “robust” and deal with delay/echo very well? I’ve heard mostly reverb clips but not like a long echo for ballad type vocals.
Thanks.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:58 PM

I know I sound like I work for them, but I don’t!!! I love my Maui G2 11. It is very loud and punchy but also crisp and clear. I’ve used it with and without delay and it sounds great. I now have had two musician buddies buy one like mine because they loved mine. I actually get great pleasure every time I get to use it. My sound is very consistent and I’m so pleased every time I play. One of the best
purchases I’ve ever made.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
JBL EON ONE Compact
iPad with OnSong

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 01-24-2018, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Not sure why you're having volume problems with the Maui 5. I've used mine right on the ocean in a open Palapa bar/restaurant and only had it at half volume. I was using 2 channel RNP preamp in front of the Maui for both vocals and guitar. I could have rocked the restaurants and bars around us if needed.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification