The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-19-2002, 11:01 AM

Question TAB books......??

I would like to ask for some help.

Awhile back I ordered, and truely love the way Mark Hanson does his books/CD's........breaks down each song in clear, easy to read/listen "sections" allowing one to learn it a little at a time.......

does anyone else have that type of break down in thier books??

Looking for some bluegrass books as well as the Hanson ones....

Also........is there any similar books that focus on stumming and back up guitar methods??

Won a strap from the B.I.W.B. contest.
Ibanez AW300NT (its a new start)
Old 02-19-2002, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I am not sure if this is anywhere relevent to what you are asking about here, but a while back I picked up this tab book for Clapton Unplugged from a series called "signature licks" ...its a Hal Leonard book which is a company that does alot of tab books. Anyway, this book came with a CD that breaks the songs down into smaller parts, and plays them both full speed and slowed down. Its really a great learning tool, especially for some of slowhands solos...helped me alot along the way. I got mine at Guitar Center if you are interested.

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 02-19-2002, 11:16 AM

Ryan
After I posted this thread, I realized that I should have included so "artists" tab books also......Clapton is one of them......James Taylor, and other artists from the 60's and such are sought after for sure........are those "signature licks books" all like that or just claptons that you know of?

Won a strap from the B.I.W.B. contest.
Ibanez AW300NT (its a new start)
Old 02-19-2002, 12:07 PM

Angry This is a pet peeve of mine. Thus, I rant...

I wish publishers would spend more time/thought developing their products. It's one thing to have a book with note-for-note transcriptions, but it's another thing to have a lesson book with 20 songs and a CD without commentary, or even half speed of tricky sections. I recently spent $15 on a CD-ROM, and it's basically nothing but a video of the the artist playing the song at full speed, with a video of one measure at half speed. No commentary, nothing. The TAB was not even included, and had to request it from the publisher. What a waste. It's like taking a lesson with an instructor who plays "Terraplane Blues" at full speed, and then says "OK, now you do it."

I'f I'm trying to learn a particular artist's style, I'd much rather have a product with fewer songs, but with useful commentary on the CD. I don't need the performance; I already know that the artist can play the songs!

Has anybody tried Stefen Grossman's products? http://guitarvideos.com

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 02-19-2002, 02:58 PM

TAb books are bad.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:05 PM

Tab books are good.

At least for me, anyway. It may be a back door into fingerstyle music, but hey, I'll take it.

Bill
Old 02-19-2002, 05:29 PM

I have heard good things about the doyle dykes tab book/CD
Old 02-19-2002, 10:36 PM

TAB books are good while you learn to read music.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

I think tab is GREAT. I strongly disagree with anyone who says its not. Sure its not the RIGHT way to learn guitar...but how many people learn the right way anyway?? There are golfers on the PGA tour who have self taught swings without ever learning anything about the theory of the swing or principles behind it. They may have seen pictures or read little things, but they dont know the little things...and on the other hand, some guys know everything and are considered golf geniuses.

I know I for one didnt know A THING about music when i picked up a guitar for the first time, and honestly, i still havent the first clue how to read real music. Does this mean I cant play? not at all, does this mean I cant play as well and as much stuff as id like? Of course. In time, Im going to learn to, but in the meanwhile, Tab is what keeps me going. How could you expect anyone to work at something that they dont see progress in. Without tab, im forced to learn only through my ear sounding things out, and through friends. I dont want to impose on friends that often, and my ear is still trying to improve, so enter tablature, and enter a world of enjoyment.

Having said that, taylorguitars4ed - check out this site and in the search box on the bottom type in "signature licks" There is a whole series!

http://www.halleonard.com/guitarBass.jsp

Enjoy!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 02-21-2002, 11:54 AM

Tabs in general are a good thing. I know my playing improved immensely once I discovered their existence on the web. They're subjective, interpretive, are sometimes just plain wrong, but usually are a good starting pointing at the very least for learning anything new. That said, I take a dim view of commerical tab offerings. Noticed how many free tab sites have been forcibly shutdown over the last two years, over threats of lawsuit by the record companies? Warner Bros. is a good example. I'm not a lawyer, but I can't see what the legal problems with this are. The things are completely subjective and interpretive. Why is that construed as a legal infringement? If anything, I'm more apt to buy the music (if I don't already!) because of the free tab available. As it is, I refuse to support any such commercial offerings as a matter of principle.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:14 PM

I agree that TAB, in general, is a good thing. I think anything that gets people started is good, as long as we all understand their limitations (not enough detail) and risks (e.g., mistakes).

Even commercial TAB can be wrong. Note that it is rare for the artists themselves to write & publish their music books, as it's usually done by the music companies themselves. So, even commercial TAB can be wrong.

I can't read music, but I definitely think it is important, and I have started to tech myself how to read it, in conjunction with learning the fretboard.

I'm not a lawyer either, but I suspect that the music companies are arguing that the music, and interpretations thereof, are their intelectual property via an agreement with the artist, parre passu, ipso facto, prima facie, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. Oops. Sorry. Willy Wonka was on last week...

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 03-07-2002, 11:23 PM

Thumbs up

Although note a tab book per say, have you tried any on the Homespun tapes? Some of the instructors are wonderful and DO break things down so that you can approach certain styles and techniques at your speed. If your into the Bluegrass pick'in the Dan Crary is excellent. I have the Chris Proctor for fingerpicking and it's very good as well. Most of these videos do come with some tab as well to match up to the songs demonstrated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell