The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-19-2014, 12:24 PM

Default Wood Guide

Hey Guys,

So I found a local luthier who only builds 2 guitars a year, so not well known. Previously, I had looked at buying a guitar around 1500-2000...but he is looking at that same price for a custom OM. I played some of his guitars, and his workmanship is incredible. I a/b'ed it against Huss, Collings, Martin, Taylor, its quality.

That being said. I never have ordered a custom instrument..where do I even start? I was looking at my 1.5-2k guitar being an OM or Mini Jumbo with EIR and Sitka top, but if I'm going custom, there may be more exotic woods out there... Where do I even start?? Sorry if this has been posted, but I searched Wood in this custom forum, and...well, there were a ton of results .

Cheers!
trev
Old 06-19-2014, 12:37 PM

Im not much help but I would have a guitar built for me on the basis of using tonewoods for finger style over strumming. Mahogany or cedar instead of Spruce or Adirondack for the top for example.

So I think the first step is to determine which way you are more likely going to play it.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM

Totally blanked on putting that in my original message- Good catch PointBlank. I will mostly be strumming this guitar, I lead worship and do some of my own singer-songwriter stuff (playing at bars and what not). Play some occasional country/bluegrass stuff- i don't need a banjo killer, as I solved that problem and killed the banjo player.

I was thinking EIR/Sitka, but if I go custom, it may be a chance to have some more..fun. Maybe African Blackwood & Adi/German? I prefer a clear tone with some overtones, and I like a guitar to be fairly balanced. I love collings, but they are a hair to bright for my taste. Ideas? I was thinking of a Dread-depth OM. Something with volume, but I can't handle the dread size sitting down.

trev
Old 06-19-2014, 01:17 PM

I think the best way to handle this is to discuss the sound you want with your luthier. Let him know what you like and don't like. He may be more comfortable with the wood he has already worked with and know how to get the sound you want.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

That's correct. You'll get better advice if you provide an idea of how you play. There are many exotic woods available. My preference is to use something that you don't get on a production guitar. I believe that a good luthier will build you a much-better-than-production guitar using standard woods, but as long as I'm going custom, I like the idea of something different. So, depending on whether you are a strummer, fingerstylist, mixture, and tonal preference (as a reference point), you'll get different suggestions. And in the end, the builder should point you in the right direction to meet your goals for this instrument. So, how about a little more info?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 06-19-2014, 01:38 PM

If your luthier has only made a few instruments, let his experience guide you.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
I played some of his guitars, and his workmanship is incredible. I a/b'ed it against Huss, Collings, Martin, Taylor, its quality.
As you've played some of his guitars, you might start from looking at the ones you liked best among those.

If there's a recipe that turned out well before... it is likely to work again even if you make minor changes to it.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-19-2014, 01:46 PM

@mike- I play a mixture, but mostly strumming. I lead worship, so it'll be something that will be used live and studio. I tend towards folk/bluegrass, and would like to get into flat picking. I would prefer a tone that is clear, but has some lushness to it. I quite like Santa Cruz om/pw. I like collings' tones, but their oms tend to be a bit bright to my ear. I do love Goodalls lushness, but sometimes I think it could be a bit much- especially live.

-trev
Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 PM

A lot of the exotic woods involve substantial up-charges, so be prepared to bust your budget if you go with Cocobolo and German Spruce, for instance. It's hard to stay within budget on custom jobs anyway: tuner upgrades, wood bindings, that cool rosette you saw on that guitar on AGF . . .

Good luck! I hope the custom OM works out perfectly for you.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Charter Member

Your desired tone describes my Stehr, in Carpathian Spruce and Malaysian Blackwood back and sides. It is clear and lush. A lot has to do with the builder, though. Joel Stehr builds very lightly, and the guitar is very responsive. At the end of the day, your builder will guide you best. I just feel that if I am buying a custom guitar, I'd like it built with something other than the typical woods.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 06-20-2014, 12:12 PM

I loved that rosette. Also that bridge.

@mikealpine- how do you like the malaysian Blackwood? Is it similar to Koa or African Blackwood? (I've heard that the source matters...)

Yeah, I understand the up charge. The Luthier is willing to charge me straight double for the wood (wood cost X2+Case+extras). His EIR is about 1500, Cocobolo is 1800, pretty reasonable imho, and I might bust the budget and have somethin purty made.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz View Post
I loved that rosette. Also that bridge.

@mikealpine- how do you like the malaysian Blackwood? Is it similar to Koa or African Blackwood? (I've heard that the source matters...)

Yeah, I understand the up charge. The Luthier is willing to charge me straight double for the wood (wood cost X2+Case+extras). His EIR is about 1500, Cocobolo is 1800, pretty reasonable imho, and I might bust the budget and have somethin purty made.
LOVE the Malaysian, and I'd consider it similar to African Blackwood, or maybe Macassar Ebony. Joel ot the wood from TonewoodSupply (Henry) here on AGF. The sides cracked, though. Henry sent more, but they were too unseasoned, so Joel is saving them, and was able to find sides that worked well with my back. Any guitar I've heard with MBW has been a winner for me. Sinker Redwood would be my chosen top if I am fortunate enough to commission another build.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
Old 06-20-2014, 04:20 PM

@mike- ill have to check out Joel at TonewoodSupply. What is the characteristic of Sinker Redwood? I know it has a higher density, but I have always been under the (perhaps incorrect) assumption that redwood is better for fingerpicking? Tonally, how would that fit with what I've described thus far?

Thanks for everyone's input!!

Trev
Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

My favorite combination to date is Sinker Redwood over Macssar ebony. A good, stiff piece if sinker will give you lush and loud, fine for strumming. I believe the Macassar makes it more crisp...a great balance. Thus is based on owning a Taylor BTO in that combination. Just a great guitar, but wasn't loud enough. I put it on sale to pay for my Stehr. In the time it took to sell, it opened up and was more than loud enough. Wish I could have kept it. Plenty of YouTube videos on that combination.

2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop