The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Default Apogee, Zoom, Blue or?

About to take the recording plunge. There are so many choices out there it kind of makes my head spin. I want to keep things simple and not too expensive, lets try keep it under $500, and have narrowed it down to 3. I have a mac and an iPad. I would like to record acoustic and electric guitars, and some vocals. The Apogee One seems like a logical choice, simple, works with OSX and iOS. I can plug in the electric if I want, the built in mic seems great, and there is still the option of an external mic. Mostly I seem myself using this at home, for the times I need portability, the ipad should work. The zoom h6 looks great, but has more features then I need. the H4n looks good for location stuff, but more cumbersome for home recording compared to the apogee. I wouldn't mind a handheld recorder for some photography stuff I do, but for that I think something cheaper, like a zoom h1 would just fine and if I lose it or drop it in the water, it won't be a big loss. Then there are the various usb mics like apogee and blue, but I loose the ability to plug in directly with the electric guitar. So.... with that long winded preamble, I'm thinking apogee one, and maybe a zoom h1 later. Anything I'm missing? I'm guessing the apogee would have lower noise then the zoom, but quality overall between these would be very comparable and not an issue.

Last edited by virob; 09-07-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 AM

There is also the IRig Pre and IRig Pro, if you have an existing mic you like. Both offer phantom power. The Pre is an XLR input, the Pro has multiple inputs. The Pre is $40, the Pro is $140, I think? If you have an existing mic, you could pick up the pro and a Zoom h1, and use the good mic when you want, and have the h1 for the truly portable option.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwaugh View Post
There is also the IRig Pre and IRig Pro, if you have an existing mic you like. Both offer phantom power. The Pre is an XLR input, the Pro has multiple inputs. The Pre is $40, the Pro is $140, I think? If you have an existing mic, you could pick up the pro and a Zoom h1, and use the good mic when you want, and have the h1 for the truly portable option.
Thanks, these must be relatively new as I can't find much info on them. The basic IRig seems to get a lot of complaints with respect to noise compared to the Jam. Anyone know if this is an issue with the Pre or Pro?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD