The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-01-2011, 12:58 PM

Default Anyone using an iPad for live use?

I'd like to use my iPad to substitute set list and lyrics with a smaller, more flexible 'footprint'. Also as more apps become available it makes sense to use it live.

a. Anyone have any experience/tips to share?

b. Suggestions for a good holder and clamp for a mike stand or percussion stand (I have a spare Korg stand for a Wavedrum which is heavy and ideal but no way of attaching the iPad).

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Lag Autumn CE Jumbo - Nashville strung
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e
Old 06-01-2011, 01:44 PM

Default iPad for live use.

Use ipad all the time for song lead sheets using a app called forscore which is meant for displaying music in pdf format.

I use iKlip to clip the ipad on to a microphone stand. Saves me from carting around several large binders. The only disadvantage to iKlip is you cant switch back and forth between landscape and portrait mode without use of a screw driver.

Tons of other great apps. Check out iGigBook and iRealb if you are at all in to jazz. Checkout AB Loop HD to help you figure out songs and subdivide if you need a good metronome.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Onsong and tab toolkit are some other good apps. both are good in different ways depending on your need. I use an iKlip to attach my ipad to the mic stand.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystrack View Post
...a. Anyone have any experience/tips to share?

b. Suggestions for a good holder and clamp for a mike stand or percussion stand (I have a spare Korg stand for a Wavedrum which is heavy and ideal but no way of attaching the iPad).
Hi Ray…
Yes
All the time

I have converted all my charts to pdf format and use a program called UnrealBook which keeps the files organized alphabetically and allows me to build/save set lists in under 2 minutes on the fly.

And the pages will advance from song to song in order, or allow me to drop down the menu and choose a song out of order.

I have tried two other song/lyric/score readers, and this one won. The worst app of the three is ForScore. Won't handle large uploads, and it freezes up, and it's more PC like than Mac-like (I have owned/used Macs since 1988).

My wife can figure out UnrealBook. In fact I show the other musicians who often show up to gig with me how to advance pages and get to the pop-down menu, and then leave it in their hands with 1 minute of training.

I also own a Klip which is collecting dust because it A)-requires me to pull my iPad out of it's case to mount it and B)-only fits the iPad1 and C)-it will not hold extra stuff (like capos etc).

I moved to this...

It will hold a tank, and fits all sizes of devices, papers, etc that people toss your way for gigs, services etc. Cost me $20 (cheaper than my Klip)

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-01-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Ray…
Yes
All the time

I have converted all my charts to pdf format and use a program called UnrealBook which keeps the files organized alphabetically and allows me to build/save set lists in under 2 minutes on the fly.

And the pages will advance from song to song in order, or allow me to drop down the menu and choose a song out of order.

I have tried two other song/lyric/score readers, and this one won. The worst app of the three is ForScore. Won't handle large uploads, and it freezes up, and it's more PC like than Mac-like (I have owned/used Macs since 1988).

My wife can figure out UnrealBook. In fact I show the other musicians who often show up to gig with me how to advance pages and get to the pop-down menu, and then leave it in their hands with 1 minute of training.

I also own a Klip which is collecting dust because it A)-requires me to pull my iPad out of it's case to mount it and B)-only fits the iPad1 and C)-it will not hold extra stuff (like capos etc).

I moved to this...

It will hold a tank, and fits all sizes of devices, papers, etc that people toss your way for gigs, services etc. Cost me $20 (cheaper than my Klip)

Hi Larry,

What are the particulars on that stand clamp?

I'm currently using an iKlip, but your solution looks appealing.

Thanks,

David

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 06-02-2011, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Thanks for all the tips so far. Please keep em coming. - I'll certainly check the apps. LJ - I have a version of that which I use but I'm looking for something that keeps my iPad more secure against being knocked-off (in both senses), especially when I've got my back turned, say at the bar in the break.

Having Googled the subject I was quite impressed with the GigEasy which can be swivelled from portrait to landscape.

http://airturninc989.corecommerce.co...-iPad-p64.html

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e

Last edited by Raystrack; 06-02-2011 at 04:48 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Thanks for the great info! I've been thinking about trying this with my lead sheets. Has anyone tried a foot operated page turner? I see a few brands are available with a pretty big price difference. Thanks again -
Old 06-02-2011, 06:59 AM

Guys, I'm a Ram-Mounts authorized reseller and sells TONS of mic stand mounts for iPads and iPhones. It's definitely getting more popular. Jeff at Synergy Mounting Systems, Telford, PA. http://www.synergymountingsystems.com
Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raystrack View Post
Thanks for all the tips so far. Please keep em coming. - I'll certainly check t...Having Googled the subject I was quite impressed with the GigEasy which can be swivelled from portrait to landscape.
Hi RS…
For me it looks too flimsy, and still has the issue apparently of having to remove the iPad from the case to fit it in.

I make 3 assumptions:
  • The iPad and other tablets are here to stay
  • They will change sizes as they evolve
  • They will have a life-expectancy of 2-3 yrs

So customized stand option are often short lived.

I house my iPad in a Hard Candy case which actually takes me a couple minutes and some acrobatics to ''dress'' the iPad in, and it's not easy to take off (and it is very protective).

The little stand/clip I use permits me to just drop it into place along with someone else's chart (it actually holds a piece of paper).

It's a fun day to like 'gear' because there's lots of it out there.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-02-2011, 08:16 AM

I got my iPad a month back and have been using it live ever since. I'm using onSong, which takes a little while to import the songs correctly, but works very well afterwards. It also will automatically transpose for me which is really nice if I'm playing with a bass or keys player.

Right now I'm working on timing the songs I do as it has a feature that will automatically scroll the page based on the time you designate. Worth checking out.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 06-02-2011, 09:47 AM

I'm using OnSong as well. works great if you get it in the right format which is pretty simple but takes some time to figure out the correct formating. You can set the BPM of the song and it scrolls for you. Kind of like your own teleprompter.

Also it organizes your songs very well..

Toms Soundclick Page
Old 06-02-2011, 10:03 AM

we even have a click-track on one......it's a very cool piece of hi-tech these days!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammuz7000 View Post
I'm using OnSong as well. works great if you get it in the right format which is pretty simple but takes some time to figure out the correct formating. You can set the BPM of the song and it scrolls for you. Kind of like your own teleprompter.

Also it organizes your songs very well..
Hi tammuz…
As owner of OnSong, ForScore and UnrealBook - UnrealBook wins hands down for actual day-to-day use for me.

I don't want to auto scroll or auto-transpose charts. I just need an app to organize and display files and not freeze, or be hard to operate/navigate. I can literally give other players a 1 minute lesson and turn it over to them for gigs.

I threw 100 files into ForScore at once and it took over 25 minutes for it to format them. ForScore's tech department says that it's a weakness of the iPad that it cannot accept more than 30-40 files at a time, but UnrealBook's tech department warns that feeding it more than 200-300 at a time will slow it down.

I've dumped entire libraries into UnrealBook at once without incident, and then in real time use, it is much quicker to actually pull the choruses into a list and save the list to impliment later and to divert to other choices on the fly.

Also, I have a lot of files which have to be added or removed regularly (updated) for different settings (weekly announcements, notes for presentations, etc) and of the three programs listed, UnrealBook is by far the easiest to add or remove files to/from.

Both ForScore and UnrealBook can be operated by a bluetooth footswitch (wireless hands-free page switching). I don't use charts for live performance (just rehearsals) so that is not necessary for me, but if I wanted hands free page switching, that would be the way I'd go.

It's still relatively new technology, so I'm sure there will be even more score readers out there coming.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 06-02-2011, 10:54 AM

For a very simple solution I use Goodreader. I put all my word docs (Songs/Charts) into pdf and imported. I also put them into one power point file in alpha order and then pdf'ed. One file - scoll through songs in alpha order very simply.
2010 Taylor GS Mini
2009 Martin LXM
Bose L1 MII
TC – Helicon Harmony G
Old 06-03-2011, 03:20 AM

Yesterday I bought OnSong, unrealBook and iGigBook.

I tried OnSong first as it looks good - loaded a pdf of all the covers I need to crib (about 160) and it locks up.

Did the same with unrealBook and it worked first go. I spent an hour book-marking individual songs to create an index - works fine. However, I haven't worked out how to edit content i.e. if I add chords to a song (mine are only lyric sheets).

I haven't tried iGig Book yet.

Lag Autumn Jumbo
Taylor 614ce
Yamaha NTX700
Taylor GS Mini e

Last edited by Raystrack; 06-03-2011 at 04:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification