The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2017, 04:54 AM

If we are going magnetic, my Fishman Rare Earth Blend with attached mic is pretty cool. I use a minimum of mag in the adjuster - all mic and move it until the mag just kicks in, probably 20%.

2 problems I have with it - one being I use Humidipaks in the soundhole, so have to keep removing the pickup every couple of days, and can’t use the soundhole plug, and I don’t want to install it. Two is that I have the older model with a really long mic boom, and I have got it stuck under the side braces......

BluesKing777.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Are you sure about that? I know Gary told me he didn't feel the Trance was a great fit for the Lowden, but I thought it was due to the pinless bridge, which still seemed to me to be worth a try. K&K fits in a Lowden, so I don't see why a Trance wouldn't. For what it's worth, Pierre Bensusan had a Trance in his Lowden at one time, and I recall it sounding excellent.
I suppose I shouldn't use such a generality, but why friend has a mid 2000's Lowden and tried a Trance and the larger transducers don't play nice with the brace position. Also, the new Lowden has a different bridge plate wood, if I recall. I called Gary about the tone issues we were having with the Trance and he confirmed that Lowden was problematic with the Trance mono system. Maybe older Lowdens don't have the same problem?
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 12-26-2017, 10:04 PM

May I humbly suggest that whatever Richard Thompson uses on his Lowdens, you should use too. He certainly squeezes some bloody rightous live tone out of those boxes.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Unfortunately, the Trance doesn't fit in the Lowden due to bracing position
I’ve got a friend with the large Lowden with a Trance onboard and it sounds AMAZING. Convinced me to try one....
Old 12-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David MacNeill View Post
May I humbly suggest that whatever Richard Thompson uses on his Lowdens, you should use too. He certainly squeezes some bloody rightous live tone out of those boxes.
I am pretty sure Richard Thompson uses a Sunrise with the Sunrise tube buffer.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I have an amulet in a O 35, Marty ( M19 ) installed it.
Wonderful acoustic tone, no feedback issues playing in a 6 piece band, good battery life. Delighted with the system.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I have an amulet in a O 35, Marty ( M19 ) installed it.
Wonderful acoustic tone, no feedback issues playing in a 6 piece band, good battery life. Delighted with the system.
I think you mean Marty Reynolds, not me! He installed my two K&K Trinity's too (McIlroy A30c and Martin 00-18)..
Old 12-30-2017, 03:04 PM

Default LR Baggs Anthem

I just recently purchased a Richard Thomson Lowden and the dealer installed a LR Baggs Anthem system and I think it sounds great live. Running it through a Grace Alix for eq and DI. I really like how it sounds.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinandTwang View Post
I am pretty sure Richard Thompson uses a Sunrise with the Sunrise tube buffer.
From the horse's mouth.....

‘I use a Sunrise pick-up in the soundhole and a Countryman Isomax condenser mic inside the guitar. The two pickup systems route into a two-channel preamp called a Gas Cooker, made by Ridge Farm Studios. This adds a lot of warmth to the signals. We’ve added some mods to make it more roadworthy…’
Old 12-31-2017, 08:36 AM

Sunrise -- expensive, and, on it's own, it's not the most acoustic sounding. But with some mid-range frequencies deeply cut, it's got a great, beautifully clear, distinctive character. Being a magnetic, feedback is much less of a problem from the outset, and by cutting a slot in one of those rubber feedback busters, the sound hole can be completely sealed. Pole-pieces mean that you can micro-adjust the string balance.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 PM

Anyone tried the Dazzos on a Lowden? What do you think?
Old 01-23-2018, 11:26 PM

I have an O25c and I've been using a K&K in it for many years. As usual, I cut the mids pretty heavily and it sounds really nice. Sometimes I use a sound hole "plug" if I'm trying to get more volume at a louder gig. I mostly play without one though. Depending on the room I'll take out a touch of bass. The O models don't lack bass that's for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification