The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-16-2009, 12:00 PM

Well, for modern worship venues, I see a lot of different styles of guitars. For two guitar setups, one guy could play a tele, the other a Les Paul or PRS with buckers... Just so much versatility in having those two types of guitars at your disposal.

I use a strat a good deal in modern worship venues. I love playing some funk/blues at home, so the strat was an obvious choice for me. It also covers more ground than the majority of other styles of guitars. I can nail tele tones with the wiring harness I've got (bridge with rolled in neck from tone 2 knob, Kinmans K7) and still cover a bit of girth, though not like a humbucker equipped beast. But there's more articulation and spank with single coils, which leads me to believe you'd enjoy them more coming from an acoustic background...

As for pedals... Oh boy, prepare yourself for the journey. I had a GT-8 for a couple years, and then started the journey to boutique pedals. There's no substitute for great pedals if you're relying on them for your tone a lot, such as worship settings often require.

I can shoot you a list of some recommended pedals I've found to work well for me, if you want.

What kind of amp will you be using, or are you buying one? This should be the area you spend the majority of your funds on, IMHO...
Old 05-16-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zb0430 View Post
Well, for modern worship venues, I see a lot of different styles of guitars. For two guitar setups, one guy could play a tele, the other a Les Paul or PRS with buckers... Just so much versatility in having those two types of guitars at your disposal.

I use a strat a good deal in modern worship venues. I love playing some funk/blues at home, so the strat was an obvious choice for me. It also covers more ground than the majority of other styles of guitars. I can nail tele tones with the wiring harness I've got (bridge with rolled in neck from tone 2 knob, Kinmans K7) and still cover a bit of girth, though not like a humbucker equipped beast. But there's more articulation and spank with single coils, which leads me to believe you'd enjoy them more coming from an acoustic background...

As for pedals... Oh boy, prepare yourself for the journey. I had a GT-8 for a couple years, and then started the journey to boutique pedals. There's no substitute for great pedals if you're relying on them for your tone a lot, such as worship settings often require.

I can shoot you a list of some recommended pedals I've found to work well for me, if you want.

What kind of amp will you be using, or are you buying one? This should be the area you spend the majority of your funds on, IMHO...
My current setup:

- Taylor T5 Koa Custom
- Fender Princeton Recording Amp (Tube)
- GT-8
Old 05-16-2009, 01:51 PM

without knowing a price range, style, preferences, it is really difficult to make recommendations. Just like in acoustic guitars there are factory guitars - some of which are quite nice, small shop, and individual luthier built guitars and the same kinds of quality & stylistic differences appear there. The same is true for amps and for pedals. Price range in each case is huge.

so I'll ignore the guitar part of the question... and make some recommendations for an amp and for some pedals.

here's my pedal board... and for the most part I'm very happy with it.

first comes the tuner (top right). nuff said. That goes to an old modded MXR compressor. A compressor is a good thing to have.

to my first OD - an HBE Power Screamer. This pedal is very versatile with a boost setting and three distinct overdrive types. I use it for a tube screamer type sound. Highly recommended.

From here I go to an envelope follower and some swirlies on the top row. The 1st is a modded MXR phase 90. then to a BYOP envelope follower (kind of an automatic wah wah) followed by a Mojovibe (highly recommended)

from the top level it goes to my 2nd OD - an Analogman King of Tone. There are two OD's because they sound very different and I have them before and after some of the swirlies because they react differently depending on where they are in the chain. The KOT is very transparent and sounds like a good tube amp overdriven. It does not have the midrange hump of a tube screamer type pedal. It has two independent channels which can be set to three levels of overdrive. I have the right channel on the middle level and the left on the highest. Either can be played separately or stacked. I use the right for a bit of crunch and the left for a transparent OD. I LOVE it. If I only had one pedal, this would be it. Together with the Power Screamer, I have about 10 or so different OD flavors by stacking them in different configurations just by using the footswitches.

next is a Boss analog chorus. For current worship stuff you need a chorus and IMHO, analog always sounds better. There are bunch of good ones out there.

Next comes a delay... this is the pedal I would like to replace with a better delay. Followed by a Seymour Duncan Pedal Booster... does just that. I rarely use this pedal although it is fine for what it does. Last is a modded wah wah. Usually these go at the beginning of the chain but mine makes funny noises if I put it there. If you're playing funk, a wah or an envelope follower or both are absolutely necessary. If some other style, this is a pedal to add later on if at all.

Every Sunday I use the OD's, the chorus, and the vibe. About 1/2 of Sundays I use the compressor. The other pedals are used less.

As for amps... I almost always recommend a silverface Fender Champ put into a larger cab with a 12 inch speaker. I have been in few churches where a larger amp could be used to its fullest potential. Even 15 watts is very loud if pushed to where it sounds good. The champ at 5 watts or so provides a warm, clean foundation that works great with pedals, is light weight, doesn't cost an arm and a leg to purchase, retube, or maintain. In a larger or louder setting, put a mike on it.

here's mine
that's me on guitar
Old 05-16-2009, 03:17 PM

I would say if the PRS Hollowbody grabs you then you should grab IT. No way to go wrong with the PRS. About the only thing it can't do is heavy metal. Too mellow for that. But then, I doubt you'll play a lot of Ozzy in a church setting
Old 05-16-2009, 06:58 PM

Good discussions (I am having a number of off line as well as you can imagine). Can you guys react to this setup with your thoughts?

Let's put money aside for a moment and just focus on "the good stuff"

- Delay: Boss DD-7 or Line 6 DL4
- Overdrive: Fulltone Full Drive 2 MOSFET or Fulltone OCD
- Compression: Barber Tone Press
- Fulltone FatBoost
......still thinking about others...

Will keep using my:
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP
Fender Princeton Recording Amp

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 05-16-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Good discussions (I am having a number of off line as well as you can imagine). Can you guys react to this setup with your thoughts?

Let's put money aside for a moment and just focus on "the good stuff"

- Delay: Boss DD-7 or Line 6 DL4
- Overdrive: Fulltone Full Drive 2 MOSFET or Fulltone OCD
- Compression: Barber Tone Press
- Fulltone FatBoost
......still thinking about others...

Will keep using my:
Boss TU-2
Ernie Ball VP
Fender Princeton Recording Amp
putting money aside and looking at your list of acoustics, I'd think you'd want to go with something more small shop or individual builder than the stuff you mentioned - which is all good stuff but certainly of a very different level than your taste in acoustics.

individual reactions - I'd go with the mosfet fulldrive before the OCD because of flexibility and versatility. I've heard only good things about the Tone Press and the Fatboost. I'd think seriously about replacing the Princeton Recording Amp and going with something like a Carr, Dr. Z., or I really like the sound of the Emerys, or any of the real small shop amps. Top end, I'd look at the Alessandro's.

For guitars, read some threads at the Gear Page under the small company luthiers section. If you want a PRS'y style guitar there are lots of small builders. Check out the Thorns or the Myka's. For Fender styles, there are a bunch more
that's me on guitar
Old 05-16-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd View Post
putting money aside and looking at your list of acoustics, I'd think you'd want to go with something more small shop or individual builder than the stuff you mentioned - which is all good stuff but certainly of a very different level than your taste in acoustics.

individual reactions - I'd go with the mosfet fulldrive before the OCD because of flexibility and versatility. I've heard only good things about the Tone Press and the Fatboost. I'd think seriously about replacing the Princeton Recording Amp and going with something like a Carr, Dr. Z., or I really like the sound of the Emerys, or any of the real small shop amps. Top end, I'd look at the Alessandro's.

For guitars, read some threads at the Gear Page under the small company luthiers section. If you want a PRS'y style guitar there are lots of small builders. Check out the Thorns or the Myka's. For Fender styles, there are a bunch more

What are some of the better small shop pedal builders that make good compression, delay and od?

What are the better small builders out there? I played some Tom Andersons today and they were nice.

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 05-16-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:45 PM

I'll compose a list of recommendations and post it... Give me a few...
Old 05-16-2009, 08:47 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Thinking Custom Shop Strat but which one? So many choices out there!

What is confusing to me is what is driving such big price differences when it apparently (and I'm sure it's because of my ignorance) fairly similar construction....?!?!?
If a CS Strat is within your price range, go straight to the Suhr. It is AMAZINGLY dialed in, has tons of mojo and sounds awesome!!!!
Old 05-16-2009, 08:48 PM
.tom the übergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I'm eager to try a T3 Bigsby but I haven't found a store in Maine that has them.
Ditto! I love Bigsby guitars anyway. I would like to see them put the Mini HBs in it too.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpullen View Post
If a CS Strat is within your price range, go straight to the Suhr. It is AMAZINGLY dialed in, has tons of mojo and sounds awesome!!!!

Indeed. As I'm looking more into this, seems like for a strat style a Suhr or Anderson may be the way to go.

Are all Andersons locking tuners? How does it work? I don't see a screw or anything in the picture. (pardon the ignorance)
Old 05-16-2009, 09:24 PM

Have you thought about Collings electrics? Beautiful instruments and just fantastic tone. I played an I-35 (hollowbody modeled after Gibson ES-335) that was truly spectacular. They also make solid bodies.
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 05-16-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpp View Post
Have you thought about Collings electrics? Beautiful instruments and just fantastic tone. I played an I-35 (hollowbody modeled after Gibson ES-335) that was truly spectacular. They also make solid bodies.
Hmm maybe that should be on my "must try" list.

It may be that I'll need an Anderson Classic and something else as well....
Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 PM

Default Try a Keeley!

You should check out Keeley electronics' pedals. Small shop (very small, they're about 45 minutes away from me so I usually just drive up to get new stuff), good bunch of guys, making and modding some of the best pedals out there. For Mods their TS9 is great, and they do a nice Boss Delay mod. They mod just about every pedal Boss makes, it seems like, as well as quite a few others. Their originals are great, though. Originals to check out are the Keeley compressor, Fuzz head (my personal fave) and Katana boost. I'm currently deciding if I like their Bluesdriver mod. It sounds great, I'm just not sure it's what Im looking for.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftycajun View Post
You should check out Keeley electronics' pedals. Small shop (very small, they're about 45 minutes away from me so I usually just drive up to get new stuff), good bunch of guys, making and modding some of the best pedals out there. For Mods their TS9 is great, and they do a nice Boss Delay mod. They mod just about every pedal Boss makes, it seems like, as well as quite a few others. Their originals are great, though. Originals to check out are the Keeley compressor, Fuzz head (my personal fave) and Katana boost. I'm currently deciding if I like their Bluesdriver mod. It sounds great, I'm just not sure it's what Im looking for.

Good point and thanks for pointing out! The Keeley Compression looks cool!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification