The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-22-2009, 05:27 PM

Question Opinions: Performing with a music stand

How many of you perform with a music stand and the music in front of you?

Would you have a different impression of a performer if they had a music stand (with music/lyrics) when they performed compared to not referring to something on a stand?

I had a discussion with one of my band members about this and I would be curious to hear the general opinion.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:36 PM

I think it depends on the setting. I played with a mandolin group that did 3 and 4 part tunes and we used sheet music and stands. In a single or duet, I don't think its as necessary or advisable. Lots of people use cheat sheets with chords or lyrics taped to a mic stand.

I guess I'd ask why it would be needed.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman View Post
How many of you perform with a music stand and the music in front of you?
Hi Gerry...
It's the difference of someone in a play reading the script or acting their part. Would you be affected by an actor/actress walking around the stage with a script in their hand rather than having memorized their lines?

I perform without a stand unless someone walks in with a score and I am expected to accompany them right then.

In my way of thinking, memorization is part of professional presentation. I am never as impressed because someone can read notes and play them back as I am when someone just shares their music.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-22-2009, 05:51 PM

We see our favorite cover-tunes artist at the restaurant down the street every Wednesday night. He always has a music stand and binder of lyric sheets in front of him. Then again he has at any given time 250+ songs on list. I'd say for about 80% of the songs he glances at it once to get the key and then never looks at it again. For the other 20% of the time he's reading the lyrics after the first verse or two, especially if someone asks for one he hasn't played in a few months.

I can't say we enjoy the songs where he looks at the sheet any less than the ones where he doesn't. And I wouldn't be any more impressed if he didn't have a music stand. Then again most of the time looking at my forkful of risotto or whatever and not at the singer anyway, so it's not exactly like a sit-down concert.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Location: Jackson, LA in body......North Carolina mountains in spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Gerry...
It's the difference of someone in a play reading the script or acting their part. Would you be affected by an actor/actress walking around the stage with a script in their hand rather than having memorized their lines?

I perform without a stand unless someone walks in with a score and I am expected to accompany them right then.

In my way of thinking, memorization is part of professional presentation. I am never as impressed because someone can read notes and play them back as I am when someone just shares their music.
X2! My church I consider an exception.......we practice (somewhat) once during the week and then play on Sunday morning. Too much to remember too quick too often. But as far as professional (ie: PAID) performance goes, nix the stand/sheet music/lyric sheets. Well hidden playlist would be fine.

Somewhere around 200 strings attached to various shapes, sizes, and types of wood. Real P.I.T.A. when it comes time to tune!!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Eric Skye

I use one if I have a wedding gig and there’s some random tunes I’m not going to play again or very often, otherwise I’m not a fan of music stands at all.

I think most people would clearly not enjoy going to a play and seeing the actors on stage with scripts unless it was a dress rehearsal...
Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Though I understand what you are saying I think that an actor in a play comparison is a bit extreme. An actor is trying to be someone else and to convince you he is that person. When I play guitar and sing I am not trying to be someone else, I am just expressing myself. Is it more professional to have it memorized, certainly it is but if its a choice between playing with music or not playing, I would always opt to play.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM

You'd be surprised to know how many pros use a teleprompter during their shows, sometimes disguised as a monitor. Here's a clip of Sir Elton, you can clearly see the teleprompter around 0:40 - 0:43.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6C2jmdJEnc

Is the meal better if the chef follows a recipe or prepares it from memory?

Last edited by topdown; 03-22-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: edited - forgot link the first time
Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 PM

I *always* have a music stand with "cheat sheets" in order. I flip to each one to see what song I'm doing, what key I'm doin' it in, what instrument I'm playin' and where to capo the instrument (if at all). After that, I rarely look at the lyrics. I've got around 80 songs in my performing repertoire, and I know the words to all of 'em by heart. The sheets are there as a crutch "just in case". I've never had a complaint about it!

On the other hand, little annoys me more than going to see a performer who stares at a music stand while reading/singing the lyrics. I've actually heard some of them say, "I just wrote this song and I still haven't got it memorized." Ya know what? Go home and memorize it -- THEN bring it out in public!

Don Smith
Raleigh, NC
Old 03-22-2009, 08:34 PM

I perform mostly as a jazz player at society functions, restaurants, and while I should know/memorize more tunes, we never play the same exact setlist. I like the freedom in pulling out tunes we've either never played before or seldom play, plus there's always the random request.

So I bring a book of about 300 tunes and often have a few copies of new stuff to read. I have the stand for when it might be needed.

It really all depends. When I played with a rock band I had sketches of tunes laid out on the floor---I think a music stand is strange in a R'n'R setting. I see music stands on stages such as the Blue Note, Iridium, Birdland, so I think it's cool on certain jazz gigs, though it doesn't look good if you have to read certain tunes, "Desafinado"----read it, "Days of Wine and Roses"---play it.

-----------

As far as those telepromters, the first time I noticed one of those "monitors" was Eminem on SNL a while back.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud4feet View Post
X2! My church I consider an exception.......we practice (somewhat) once during the week and then play on Sunday morning. Too much to remember too quick too often. But as far as professional (ie: PAID) performance goes, nix the stand/sheet music/lyric sheets. Well hidden playlist would be fine.
Hi m4f...
I have never played on a Worship Team with music...most is pretty simple, and not that complex. We rehearse once a week for 90 minutes, and probably rehearse pieces 3-4 times before they ever go 'public'.

If your process is faster than that, I understand you reading, but I still prefer people who learn their music...tell me a story don't read it to me...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 PM

Location: Jackson, LA in body......North Carolina mountains in spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi m4f...
I have never played on a Worship Team with music...most is pretty simple, and not that complex. We rehearse once a week for 90 minutes, and probably rehearse pieces 3-4 times before they ever go 'public'.

If your process is faster than that, I understand you reading, but I still prefer people who learn their music...tell me a story don't read it to me...
I hear you! Yeah, all the old timey hymns are pretty simple, and having heard them all my life, I've got the first verse down pat. I'm ashamed of myself that I don't do better at being better prepared. But at our practices we're mainly concentrating on everyone singing on key...and in time. We're not real formal and half of our choir are up there because they love to sing (doesn't mean they can!!) Who am I to deny that?.............kinda why I called that an "exception". (no excuse..).

Somewhere around 200 strings attached to various shapes, sizes, and types of wood. Real P.I.T.A. when it comes time to tune!!!!
Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 PM

Very interesting points of view, everyone! I'll just let a few more people post before posting what my point of view is.

A big thank you to all of you for taking the time to post your thoughts.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:04 PM

Default What I'd LIKE vs Reality...

I play solo (guitar and vocal) in restaurants several times a month, for three hours or longer, rarely break. 99% covers - classic rock, country...

I have 150 or so songs on my playlist, probably play 40 or more a night, I guess 20 or 30 I play most every time, work in the rest depending on what I feel like the listeners want to hear. Or what *I* feel like playing! Also, it's common for me to play 1 or 2 or 3 "new" songs each time I play. Like one person said, it's not a concert - people listen TO me as they enjoy their dinner, and afterwards as well.

Using lyric sheets on some songs ALLOWS me to bring in new songs, which are almost always very enjoyable to my listeners, and to me. I didn't LIKE the idea of using a book, AT ALL, but when I finally said to myself "go ahead", it opened up my performance a lot, for the better I fully believe.

In this setting, I feel perfectly fine using lyric sheets, and no one has ever complained - it's hardly ever even mentioned (*). Knowing that I do not have to even TRY to memorize selected songs gives me a freedom - allows me to perform them better, actually. Again - in THIS setting...

(*) - for a few months now, instead of an actual book, I have been successfully using a touch-screen tablet computer - same size as a standard piece of paper, on a 11-by-8-inch music stand that fits it perfectly - very low key and just a dream to use - I touch a song title, the sheet pops up, another touch and back to the list - it's great. I use big font, colors, and don't have to scroll. Some people check this out and think it's very cool. I agree!

I tell fellow musicians that the only thing worse than using a cheat book is forgetting the words!

Works for me... Mike
Old 03-22-2009, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud4feet View Post
I hear you! Yeah, all the old timey hymns are pretty simple, and having heard them all my life, I've got the first verse down pat. I'm ashamed of myself that I don't do better at being better prepared. But at our practices we're mainly concentrating on everyone singing on key...and in time. We're not real formal and half of our choir are up there because they love to sing (doesn't mean they can!!) Who am I to deny that?.............kinda why I called that an "exception". (no excuse..).
Hi A-haulic...
All our singers can see the words on an LCD screen while singing, so that eliminates the need for ''paper''.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-23-2009 at 08:11 AM. Reason: clarity, Larry, clarity!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell