The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-15-2020, 10:33 PM

Default Securing PA speakers on stands

Maybe it's just my setup. Low budget Phonic PA with their SEM712 speakers and some Rockville stands. Fit of pole socket in speaker is a little loose. Nothing stops speakers from rotating on pole. That normal? Any trick I supposed to know about using speaker stands?

Pole spec is 1.37 diameter, speaker spec is 35mm mounting socket.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

I’d just mark where the bottom of the speaker is on the pole, and wrap a bit of electrical ( or other ) tape around the pole just above that mark to make the fit a bit snugger -
Old 02-16-2020, 05:26 AM

It is normal. Some speakers have a knob and set screw to fix them in place. Mine does not and it has not been a problem.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-16-2020, 05:41 AM

The international standard tool is beermat.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:58 AM

Thanks, people.

So loose fit is normal and tape or wrap pole with something to snug up the fit if needed. Ok.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:57 PM

If it was close fit it would be a lot more difficult to get the speaker on the stand. They all turn easy by hand, but won't likely start spinning on their own unless you play too fast.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:09 AM

Secure the speaker cable to the stand. Done.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
If it was close fit it would be a lot more difficult to get the speaker on the stand. They all turn easy by hand, but won't likely start spinning on their own unless you play too fast.
To add to this, if the fit is snug, when you go to remove the speaker from the stand, you'll be lifting the stand off the ground with the speaker, and then it's like the monkey and the football if you know what I mean. I've tried taping the poles to get more snug fit, but the tape wears off and leaves sticky residue on the poles. Perhaps a tissue, paper towel, or unfolded napkin could be slipped over the pole and would tighten up the fit a little bit.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
To add to this, if the fit is snug, when you go to remove the speaker from the stand, you'll be lifting the stand off the ground with the speaker...
There is a special dance you can do which involved placing one foot into the leg brace which attaches to the main pole and pushing down while lifting the speaker. If you lose your balance during this manoeuvre, however, it can end very badly. It would be very entertaining for observers unless you land on them.

It should be acknowledged that there are different width tolerances between models of speakers/stands so a new set may be worth exploring.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:00 AM

Fasten a cut to pole diameter piece of rubber or similar material to the top of the pole using a contact rubber cement (Pliobond, DAP, etc). This may increase the contact friction between the plastic of the speaker and pole top enough to prevent easy turning, but still allow easy movement to position the speaker and removal.

Alternatively a collar that clamps on the pole with a rubber ring above it set so the bottom of the speaker rests on it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification