The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
Finally, as a qualifier to the prior statement, do remember that laminate B&S guitars offer easier care. When I have to keep a guitar in a case, it never gets played. My laminate B&S guitars hang on the wall all year long and get all the play time.
Agreed. When I got my solid wood guitar, it sounded so good, I wanted to sell my laminated B&S guitar and get another solid one. But I didn't, for this reason.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:06 AM

Everything has an influence on the sound of a guitar. It's very difficult (impossible?) to select one influence on one guitar and confidently state that was the determining factor for what you hear.

And that brings us to what you hear. There is no good substitute for playing a bunch of guitars and buying the one you like. Never pay for quality you don't hear.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-02-2020, 08:57 AM

I didn't see anyone mention Epiphone Masterbilts as decent all-solid wood guitars under $1K. These deserve a play, and can usually be found at GC and other guitar marts.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:01 AM

It’s complicated. If I tried to give you one true rule I’d miss something.

Everything matters, but an all solid guitar is much more difficult to build, so i look at any sub-thousand all solid guitars with great skepticism.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:17 AM

Guild Maple Jumbo's have laminated back and sides I think. Nothing low end or cheap sounding about those guitars, they're as good as any Jumbo's out there
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 02-02-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
I didn't see anyone mention Epiphone Masterbilts as decent all-solid wood guitars under $1K. These deserve a play, and can usually be found at GC and other guitar marts.
Yes I have an older AJ500MNS and I am soooooo impressed by it I'm looking for its "mate" ... a similar slope or regular dread with rosewood back and sides. No cutaway or electronics if possible.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-03-2020, 08:57 AM

OP here.
Ironically, I was offered an even trade, my import Guild Starfire V electric for a D'angelico EX-63, which is an all-lam, round hole archtop and back. I always wanted to try a jazz box and this one looks to be a nice all-acoustic version.

It's a bit of a digression from my quest for a solid wood or solid top dreadnaught. but from the youtube reviews, it seems to have a unique voice I'm interested to give a try.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:52 AM

I would guess that a laminate guitar built along the lines of a solid wood guitar will not sound too terribly different. Solid top mind you. I plan on putting it to the test, building two guitars using the same wood for the b&s's but laminating one. But I need to rebuild my bandsaw first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion