The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Default New QSC CP Series vs K.2 Series

Anyone demo'd the new CP speakers and/or compared them (or the specs) to the K.2 speakers? Looks like they might be a good lower cost option—and perhaps the K.2 speaks might be overkill? Thanks

https://www.qsc.com/news/news/detail...-loudspeakers/
Old 11-11-2018, 08:39 PM

I've got to wonder why no 10" speaker in that new series. I have a pair of K 10.2s and they are great! I'm curious as to how these stack up to the k 8.2 and k 12.2. I agree that my K 10.2s are overkill for most, but not all my needs.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:33 PM

My new CP8 sounded better than my Yamaha DBR10 as a bass guitar amp. The CP8 is dead quiet with no signal. In all other audio tests they seemed about equal.

The CP series is passively cooled (has no fan -- one less thing to fail) and has half the standby power consumption of the DBR10 (you would be shocked how loud you need to get for the active power to double the total power consumption -- absolutely deafening never going to happen at an acoustic gig). The CP8 has a subjective quality feel like what I remember from my long gone K10 that the DBR10 does not have. However our duo gigged with that single DBR10 for 4 years (roughly 35 gigs a year) with no problems. I've played half a dozen gigs or so with the CP8 and it does the same job as the DBR10 at less weight, less bulk, and a much better grab handle.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-11-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaurman View Post
I've got to wonder why no 10" speaker in that new series.
Me too. I thought the K10's sounded better than the K12's.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

I was able to view, but not audition the new CP's-- I was surprised at how compact they are. I didn't do a side by side but it appears that the 12" model might be in the same size range as the K's 10" model, or even K 8"--perhaps that's why they felt a 10" speaker model might not be needed? I hope to audition them soon.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
My new CP8 sounded better than my Yamaha DBR10 as a bass guitar amp. The CP8 is dead quiet with no signal. In all other audio tests they seemed about equal.

The CP series is passively cooled (has no fan -- one less thing to fail) and has half the standby power consumption of the DBR10 (you would be shocked how loud you need to get for the active power to double the total power consumption -- absolutely deafening never going to happen at an acoustic gig). The CP8 has a subjective quality feel like what I remember from my long gone K10 that the DBR10 does not have. However our duo gigged with that single DBR10 for 4 years (roughly 35 gigs a year) with no problems. I've played half a dozen gigs or so with the CP8 and it does the same job as the DBR10 at less weight, less bulk, and a much better grab handle.
That's great to hear. I have always loved the fact that QSC speakers are dead quiet. I remember auditioning the K series (original) vs. Yamaha speakers in the same range and the Yamaha speakers had noticeable background hiss. I am just after a second monitor so I definitely might pick a CP speaker up.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:03 PM
Charter Member

I checked the dimensions/specs on the QSC site--The CP12 is close in size to the K10.2--about the same height, and about an inch wider and deeper. Weighs about 2 lbs. less.

CP12: [email protected] lbs.
K10.2: 20.4Hx12.6Wx11.8D@32 lbs.

A comparison of the 8 inchers:

CP8: 16.2Hx10.7Wx10.1D@21 lbs.
K8.2: 17.7Hx11Wx10.6D@27 lbs.
Old 03-02-2019, 12:09 PM

I own the CP8 and the K10.1. For our acoustic duo, I'm finding the K10s to be overkill. I don't need 2000 watts (total) of amplification to play folk music.

Seriously considering dumping the K10s for 2 more CP8s. They have the same fidelity. I got enough bass out of the CP8 to shake the house (CP8 was in a corner so that helped).

Sweetwater is throwing in the $70 gig bag right now... sooooo tempting!
Old 03-02-2019, 04:55 PM

The only real downside is I think the specs in general are somewhat downgraded form the K's. Not as tough in the 'box' some minor limitations on connectivity and no fan. But as a budget speaker in my limited listen time, pretty impressive.

I use the original K's and I could not hear any huge difference at all. The CP's are smaller and lighter though perhaps not as rugged.

Kris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification