The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 PM

Default A. Davis...anybody played one?

I tried this post in the main section with no response.

Has anybody played an Art Davis guitar. He is out of CA used to work with Taylor many moons ago.

Thanks
Old 02-26-2015, 12:51 AM

I have one. Model A1 Sitka/Maple. OM sized. Beautifully made with some interesting design concepts. Set up to play like an arch top. Really opens up when tuned down to D.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:26 AM

Both my brother and I owned an A.Davis guitar at one time. Mine was Adirondack/Maple and his was Sitka/Cypress. I thought both were quite nice. My brother's Cypress model was absolutely the lightest guitar either of us has ever seen. We dubbed it "the Eggshell". I thought my maple A. Davis had an exceptional tone with a surprisingly strong and focused low end. Can't figure out why I sold it.

Is Art still in business?

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 02-26-2015, 02:28 AM

He has his web site up. Best I can tell, the answer is kinda, sorta, maybe.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:25 AM

I played a used one once. I was told it was made for artist for a video shoot. The guitar was sooooo lightly built that the top had started to curve in around the soundhole. And while the dealer tried his best to convince me that it was structurally sound, there was no way I was going to buy it!
Old 02-26-2015, 10:59 AM

Mine is definitely a light build, but structurally sound. Dated, January, 2009.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Both my brother and I owned an A.Davis guitar at one time. Mine was Adirondack/Maple and his was Sitka/Cypress. I thought both were quite nice. My brother's Cypress model was absolutely the lightest guitar either of us has ever seen. We dubbed it "the Eggshell". I thought my maple A. Davis had an exceptional tone with a surprisingly strong and focused low end. Can't figure out why I sold it.

Is Art still in business?
As a follow up, I sent him an email regarding my guitar and he replied today. He has changed careers but is keeping his web site open and will continue to support owners in any way he can. I suspect these guitars were a labor of love, as well as a means of earning a living. Nice guy, too.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efnef View Post
As a follow up, I sent him an email regarding my guitar and he replied today. He has changed careers but is keeping his web site open and will continue to support owners in any way he can. I suspect these guitars were a labor of love, as well as a means of earning a living. Nice guy, too.
Thanks for the update. I kinda figured as much.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop