The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Luthiers

Does a 12 fret short scale guitar have enough string tension to handle moderate to heavy strumming??

Thanks for your professional opinion.

daniel
Old 12-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Me

Daniel,
Short answer -
A short scale 12 fret could be built for heavy strumming.

Longer answer -
This question is a little subjective plus not enough is known.
What gage strings will be used? How short is the scale? What is the top material? Is it lightly built or over built or somewhere in between? How will it be tuned?

Most of what I see as heavy strumming is not appealing to me and generally players are hitting the strings too hard and playing beyond the capability of their instrument. It is much better to learn to play within the instrumenst capabilities. Good players learn how to do this.

Short answer - A short scale 12 fret could be built for heavy strumming.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

I have Collings and Blazer & Henkes 12 fret 000's... both love to be strummed as much as fingerpicked. i also have a 14 fret 1943 000-18 Martin that loves the pick as well. Talk to your builder. It should not be an issue.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 12-10-2011, 06:29 AM

yes, it's a matter of building the instrument to accommodate heavier strings and setup. i use a 23" scale with no problems. lights or mediums work well on the instrument.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstring View Post
Does a 12 fret short scale guitar have enough string tension to handle moderate to heavy strumming??
Yes. I used to own and play a Martin 00-21 - which is a short scale 12 fret design - and it was an incredible cannon of a guitar. Loud and projective, it was probably the best guitar for accompanying fiddle players that I've ever owned.

I strung it with mediums, and it worked beautifully in that accompaniment/rhythm guitar capacity.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop