The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
Thanks Jeff

No, I don't really have good enough recording equipment - I have a basic digital recorder, and I've downloaded Audacity, but it seems to record at a very low level and I can't get a decent sound, and don't understand how to work it to do multi-tracking as I'm not very technical. Also, my computer has really poor sound quality, there's a problem with it.

If I'm going to do this, I'd rather pay someone who has the right equipment and knows what they are doing! I don't really wnat to rush it, but I think setting a goal will help, as long as it's a realistic goal, and it would be cool if I can do it before my 50th birthday, which is why I'm thinking of that particular goal

Fliss

Would like to hear your CD when your ready..that is a great goal..Solo

Mike Solo
Old 03-01-2011, 01:24 PM
happiness

Thanks very much for all your great comments everyone, it's all really really helpful to me, and I'm just trying to soak it all up.

In terms of why a CD rather than just posting the music online, it's just another way of sharing the music. Personally, if I like someone's music I want their CD, and have bought home-produced CDs from several people locally whose music I've enjoyed. But I would hope to put some of the tracks on my Myspace page too.

Well, I have asked an initial question of the person who I'm hoping to get to help me with this, and got an affirmative response, so I'm going to wait a few weeks because of other things that are going on, and then (hopefully!) make a start

I'm excited about this new adventure - it is daunting and I think I will learn a lot along the way (I'm very much aware that I have a huge amount to learn) but I'm very much looking forward to it. And thanks also very much to those who've said they'd like to hear what I come up with - I will be sure to let you know when I have some recordings to share

Fliss
Old 03-19-2011, 01:57 PM

I did two (one of my own stuff, and one of public domain hymns) on a Roland VS 1680. There are a lot of cheap options out there now to record. I did the backing tracks on a keyboard arranger. The replicators give good deals now on reproducing CDs, with cheap mastering. They offer the templates for artwork and you can do that yourself too. I need to make another. When you are done you can get local publicity and CD release events. Mine are more than paid for and I have sold about half of them (I made 1000 copies of each). It's good to have something to sell at gigs and local stores. Good luck.

2003 Taylor 514ce
1987 EF 369 Solid Rosewood Takamine
1969 Yamaha FG180
1986 Fender Strat
1950s Harmony Airline
Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

I self produced four CDs of 95% originals, will probably do more, and picked up a lot of knowledge along the way. Getting into the recording aspect of it in a serious way is daunting and can be expensive and time consuming. Unless you are really into learning a new field it probably won't be much fun.

I would suggest keeping it pretty simple. I have heard some really good quality coming out some of the Zooms hooked up to a couple of external mikes (don't have to be expensive mikes). Get the best sound you can at recording time. Don't rely on post recording tweaks to salvage a poor recording. That said for any post recording manipulating (reverb, equaliztion, etc) you might send one or two songs out to be mastered professionally to hear how much difference that makes compared to do it yourself results.

Burn a few CDs a home. Do some CD label and CD case art (or just write the title and your name with a marker pen). See how it goes and if you want to continue on with it at a more involved (and expensive) level.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-20-2011, 08:27 AM

Very good replies. Nothing personal to add, but...

Lots of info here:
http://www.indieguide.com/

There's a very good guide to planning your CD here:
http://www.discmakers.com/

General, but good, thoughts and advice on independent music making and marketing here:
http://sivers.org/blog

Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD