The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-09-2011, 09:44 PM

Default Zoom H2 Users

Hi Folks...

So I got this new Zoom H2...I like it, it does what I want at this point..just curious though, anyone else who uses it, what settings, generally, do you folks use to record acoustic guitar and vocals simultaneously?..it sounds good to me, catches all my errors and faults..lol...but I was wondering if someone out there has the settings down to record the "best"...I know the room is most important and all that, but...how do other users "set" theirs for this? Thanks in advance...=)
Old 03-10-2011, 12:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polishmagnum View Post
Hi Folks...

So I got this new Zoom H2...I like it, it does what I want at this point..just curious though, anyone else who uses it, what settings, generally, do you folks use to record acoustic guitar and vocals simultaneously?..it sounds good to me, catches all my errors and faults..lol...but I was wondering if someone out there has the settings down to record the "best"...I know the room is most important and all that, but...how do other users "set" theirs for this? Thanks in advance...=)
Hi Pm…
For day-to-day idea captures, I set it up for mp3 at 192kbps, and since I play medium volumes, the input is on high, and I place it about 12-14'' away from the neck body joint, front mics (same side as controls) and level with the neck.

For serious use I record Wave at 44.1 and adjust input according to whom-ever I'm recording.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-10-2011, 08:39 AM

I don't have a good "room", but I get reasonable recordings for both voice and guitar by setting it on the coffee table about 2-3 feet away, using the front mics (90º), with the mic input on high. The unit is about at the level of the top of the guitar (I use a cheap mini-tripod) but closer to the neck-body joint than the soundhole. If I am playing with someone else we'll use front and back mics (still in 2 channel mode) and sit on opposite sides of the unit.

I usually use 16-bit/44.1 and load into audacity on my computer to adjust levels as necessary and convert to mp3.

cheers,
andrew
-- Schroedinger's wife

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD