The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-09-2010, 05:30 PM

Default Cornerstone Guitars Visit - Wow

So how does one spend a couple of hours of their free time to learn more about guitars? You go on a field trip to Cornerstone Guitar and visit Peter, the owner and maker. I’m fortunate that he is local and easy to get to (http://www.cornerstoneguitar.com/Home.html).

I recently picked up a Cornerstone Worship Series - SJ and wanted him to look over the whole guitar to make sure it was in tip top shape. The previous owner took excellent care of this guitar and it was in pristine condition. The action was a bit on the high side because I’m use to Taylor’s specs.

So Peter picks up the guitar and made a comment, “It’s nice to see a guitar I’ve built come back to me”. You have to understand that once Peter builds a guitar, it’s shipped out within two weeks. To have a guitar he built come back after a year or so was special. Not only can he see his own workmanship, but the sound after it has matured brought delight to his face. It’s like seeing your own child comeback home after being gone for awhile.

Peter looks over the SJ and said everything looked fine. He offered to lower the saddle and go over the frets free of charge. Now that’s great customer service!

The best part of the visit was seeing firsthand, some of Peter’s current builds like the Baritone, Zion and SJs with exotic woods that pleasing to your eyes. I can attest that his workmanship is top notch and his attention to details is unsurpassed.

I was able to see, feel and smell Brazilian Rosewood! I saw figured Bubinga, Lucky Strike Redwood, Mahogany and some of the most exotic woods I’ve ever seen. This stuff was beautiful in its raw state, you can only wonder how gorgeous it will be once it’s finished.

Peter has a wealth of knowledge and was very easy to talk to. He gave me a lesson on abalone inlay for purfling and showed me some samples of what it looks like. I was able to touch some premade necks and headstock caps. Can you tell I was a kid in a candy store?

I can attest that Peter is a class act when it comes to building guitars and his expertise in wood. I must of wrecked havoc on his schedule but he didn’t seem to mind.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:23 AM

Beautiful guitars!

But, What sound do his guitars produce that make them so suitable for worship?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:34 AM
Racman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
I was able to see, feel and smell Brazilian Rosewood! I saw figured Bubinga, Lucky Strike Redwood, Mahogany and some of the most exotic woods I’ve ever seen. This stuff was beautiful in its raw state, you can only wonder how gorgeous it will be once it’s finished.
Hey, I hope you didn't touch my "Moonscape" Quilted Sapele without my permission
Old 06-10-2010, 07:01 AM

I also had a chance to visit Peter, the first time before I ordered an instrument, the second time while he was building my instrument. Great experience!
1991 Fender American Std. Stratocaster: Keystone single coils and updated controls/wiring
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

It sounds like it was a great visit, and a lot of fun. You're fortunate you could stop by with your guitar that he built. You can't be more confident in the work being done than having the builder to it.

I'm considering sending a guitar of mine back to the builder for some setup/fretwork/etc. He was very gracious and accomodating when I asked about the work, and expressed his desire to see the guitar and do the work himself. The bad part is that he's not local, and I'd have to deal with the shipping; may still do that.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 06-17-2010, 06:33 AM

What a great trip it must be! I am particularly jealous now.

But for those like me who can't make it to Peters workshop, here something you may find interesting:

http://guitarbench.com/index.php/200...ier-interview/
Old 06-17-2010, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Peter at Healdsburg last year and played some of his guitars. Ever since then I've had a hankering for a Zion but haven't had the $$ for it. He's a good guy and he builds great guitars!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop