The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:59 PM

It's pretty cool that we have 2 of the big names local to me. Bose and Fishman.

However I returned my QSC speaker and went and got this instead. Don't know if it was the right choice but I feel a bit better inside for some reason.
It's amazing how budgets always expand exponentially when you have GAS.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckle View Post
It's pretty cool that we have 2 of the big names local to me. Bose and Fishman.

However I returned my QSC speaker and went and got this instead. Don't know if it was the right choice but I feel a bit better inside for some reason.
It's amazing how budgets always expand exponentially when you have GAS.

What a turn of events!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I had that!
Old 03-02-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
What?!? This whole thread was about what to buy *now*, because you couldn't swing the Bose and was gonna get it late in the year...300+ posts!!

I'm sure you'll love it - I think they sound great.

FWIW, I saw some of your vids on youtube and echo the commenters comparing you to Tom Waits. He may seem like an "acquired taste", but he has some more accessible stuff, too. Check out "Heart of Saturday Night" and "Blue Valentine".
Old 03-02-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg View Post
What?!? This whole thread was about what to buy *now*, because you couldn't swing the Bose and was gonna get it late in the year...300+ posts!!

I'm sure you'll love it - I think they sound great.

FWIW, I saw some of your vids on youtube and echo the commenters comparing you to Tom Waits. He may seem like an "acquired taste", but he has some more accessible stuff, too. Check out "Heart of Saturday Night" and "Blue Valentine".
I think he came in about half way through this thread.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
I think he came in about half way through this thread.
Now I feel really inadequate because I'm still utterly on the fence

Had to pony up some big bucks over the weekend to help my daughter get a new/used car, so that's knocked my ambitions back a bit, but then this morn I got some great feedback on my disc and last show so was feeling all head-up again...and then I got a letter from the u's president laying out the new budget hold-back furloughs, so bam, down again: looks like I'll lose exactly the cost of an L1. Hmm...maybe they've been tracking my posts here...
Old 03-03-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post
Now I feel really inadequate because I'm still utterly on the fence

Had to pony up some big bucks over the weekend to help my daughter get a new/used car, so that's knocked my ambitions back a bit, but then this morn I got some great feedback on my disc and last show so was feeling all head-up again...and then I got a letter from the u's president laying out the new budget hold-back furloughs, so bam, down again: looks like I'll lose exactly the cost of an L1. Hmm...maybe they've been tracking my posts here...
Hi TD,

Congratulations on the great feedback for your performances.

But ouch -- So sorry to hear about the budget hold-back. This economy continues its dreary effects everywhere, including on those of us in academia. A real struggle, for sure.

In any case, for whatever it's worth (I suspect very little!), my current thinking, which is prone to change hourly, is BA + EV ZXA1-90 + small mixer. Certainly not as spiffy as an L1 Model II, but approximately half the outlay.

Best wishes to you in your on-going decision process.

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 AM

I don't know how educators survive. My dad was an English professor for years. BU/ Harvard, BC, etc and finally High School. He pounded nails and still does @ 70 years old to make up for what the teaching profession could not provide.

My 13 year old will be 16 very quick then it will be a whole new ball game with "dad, I need money"

I wish her mom would put some of the funds from child support away for a rainy day. But enough of that.

As for the Bose. I feel I made a better decision with that. I don't see how it's really more portable than anything else? Why because you can put the stuff in bags? The thing is not that light. Yeah the separate pieces perhaps, but it's still a lot of work no matter what way you look at it.

Yeah I'm starting to like Waits a little bit. I'm psyched about singing through the mic. That TC voice create thing is amazing.

I got one tune "county farm blues" that I rearranged by son house and the TC has a tin can megaphone type effect that sounds awesome that I'm going to use for that tune. Plus I have a can with a strap that I put over my mouth with a strap around my head that adds to that old time vocal effect which is perfect for the vibe of that particular tune. LOL

Now if my day job would stop interrupting me and stealing 10 hours a day of my time and if my wife wasn't constantly bellyaching about me ignoring her and playing music all the time I could actually get something accomplished.

I don't know what keeps me going. I'm obsessed with this stuff and the inner desire of the soul to do this drives me nuts sometimes to the point where I don't know how to balance this struggle within and sometimes I just want to sell everything and be a regular joe drinking beer every night and the extent of my existence being looking forward to the football game on the weekend. That's an existence worse than death. Anyhow, end rant. Anybody got any time for sale?

Last edited by cotten; 03-03-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: vocabulary
Old 03-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
There is just something flat out WRONG about that picture! I can't put my finger on it, and I don't think I want to

I can't complain about my job so long as I still have it. Like you I'm unjustifiably obsessed with music, but I'm fortunate enough to have a job that does, in fact, give me a lot of time off and a flexible schedule, as well as constant creative and intellectual interaction, so I'm a happy camper.

So it could be worse and it's all good. The administration also designed the furlough quite sanely, prorating (?) the amount with-held based on salary, so those on the bottom lose nothing and those on the top lose a lot; those of us near the bottom lose, I think, a Bose L1 Compact ...but it beats laying off employees; I'm all for sharing a burden over breaking a couple backs.

This is our 9th year with budget cuts and my 11th year full time, so it feels like par for the course, yet I really can't complain if I'm still playing music and entertaining the idea of more gear and keeping a roof over my head and being a good husband and dad.

What I like about getting old is that I've seen enough hard times to know the good times when I have em, and this is a good time.

td
Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 AM

It's the L1 COMPACT that has been talked about throughout this thread as being portable. The L1 Model II is somewhat portable but probably no more than a small PA system.

I am in construction and I watch my educator friends do much better than I. Especially in this economy. Be thankful you have a job!
Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 AM

Our forum software gets nervous when a thread exceeds 300 posts, which this one has done handily. And you know there's nothing worse than software with a tic, so I am respectfully closing this thread. Feel free to pick up the discussion in a Part 2, if you like.

cotten
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification