The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-16-2018, 01:41 PM

Unhappy Electric guitars and my health

I'm heartbroken and not sure what to do. Fell absolutely in LOVE with the Michael Kelly 10th Anniversary Ltd Ed. Hybrid Special as it really is versatile sounds fantastic and lightweight. The Gold is stunning. Only 200 made (here in US with 4 parts in Korea) 73 were MINT and I got mine from one of the owners with the matching hardcase in June. SO what's the problem?

Excited, I go to play it and wham, I have 2 seizures. Dr. confirmed it with EEG sound waves (don't ask about that odd test) such ended my " electric guitar" career. How do I go about selling it without this sounding "made up"?
Old 10-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnut View Post
I'm heartbroken and not sure what to do. Fell absolutely in LOVE with the Michael Kelly 10th Anniversary Ltd Ed. Hybrid Special as it really is versatile sounds fantastic and lightweight. The Gold is stunning. Only 200 made (here in US with 4 parts in Korea) 73 were MINT and I got mine from one of the owners with the matching hardcase in June. SO what's the problem?

Excited, I go to play it and wham, I have 2 seizures. Dr. confirmed it with EEG sound waves (don't ask about that odd test) such ended my " electric guitar" career. How do I go about selling it without this sounding "made up"?
Wow, that's a really serious drag! I've never heard of anything like it. Had you played electrics before and this just came up, or is this your first experience with electric guitars?

In terms of selling it, I'd just sell it. You don't have to explain WHY to potential buyers. Just say you'd love to keep it but circumstances require that you sell it. Or don't say anything - just list it for sale and describe the guitar... I'm assuming the seizure issue is with you not the guitar, so it's not like you're selling someone else a dangerous instrument!

Good luck.

-Ray
Old 10-16-2018, 01:53 PM

Hope you are well. You can just sell the guitar, it should sell on its own merit. You don't have to list a "why" for selling either.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

yeah.......I'd get another opinion.

It may be true that you had a seizure while playing the guitar. And it may be true that the doctor confirmed you had a seizure via an EEG.

But did the Dr. conclusively prove that the guitar caused the seizure?

I've never heard of any correlation from the electrical signals created by an electric guitar pickup ever affecting the human nervous system.

Even if it is related to playing the guitar it is more likely something you are doing, not the guitar doing it to you.

The fact is the electric signals on a guitar pickup are exceedingly weak and the emitted electromagnetic radiation from them is incredibly weak.

I would bet very highly that it has nothing to do with the guitar.

Now, you haven't really discussed everything:

We you playing with a giant Marshall stack blasting in your ear? This could certainly overwhelm your senses and trigger seizures I think.

You need to 1) get more knowledgeable opinions and 2) get more data and parameters before making a knee jerk reaction.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 10-16-2018, 03:21 PM

You're not plugged into a vintage amp with a 2 prong cord and death cap, are you?

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-16-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post

I've never heard of any correlation from the electrical signals created by an electric guitar pickup ever affecting the human nervous system.
Yes that sounds very weird to me, the signal coming out from a pickup is very low in terms of voltage (max 500 millivolt) and almost completely negligible in terms of amperage.

It might be possible the amp is the problem, but in this case he can play far away from it.
'11 Martin HD-28V
'16 Yamaha FG180 50th anniversary
'18 Gibson Southern Jumbo
'20 Guild F-512 MPL
Old 10-17-2018, 10:05 PM

I was diagnosed epileptic as a kid (did the ol’ EEG too ) and it’s a scary thing. I grew out of it thankfully but definitely get as much info as you can. I’ve only been aware of visual triggers for epileptic seizures but it’s been 30 years since I’ve done any research. Good luck!
2012 Martin OM-21
1962 Gibson LG-0
A few mandolins & more electrics than I'll admit

"Yesterday is history and tomorrow, a mystery but today is a gift. That's why we call it the present." - Babatunde Olatunji
Old 10-17-2018, 10:43 PM

Default Electric Guitar and my health

Might regret selling it as it’s a ltd ed. stunning and played great for 2 others. It has been thoroughly checked & they said it was Mint.
I put on Reverb.
I have Multiple Sclerosis which affects my nervous system but never expected seizures. It happened a few times, only with the Michael Kelly Hybrid
I was playing Very softly with a Boss Katana in my home.
Within minutes I felt “odd” like I was next to a speaker at a rock conert with
an alcohol buzz ( renember those days)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:25 AM

Sorry to read of your misfortunes. Hopefully you'll find a guitar that you feel safe with.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachnut View Post
I have Multiple Sclerosis which affects my nervous system but never expected seizures. It happened a few times, only with the Michael Kelly Hybrid
I was playing Very softly with a Boss Katana in my home.
Within minutes I felt “odd” like I was next to a speaker at a rock concert with
an alcohol buzz ( remember those days)
My guess is that the buzz is your aura. That's the time to put the guitar down and take a seat before the seizure becomes full blown. MS is an extremely tricky condition to work with and can manifest itself in so many odd ways.

One thought is the weight of the strap on your neck and the resultant postural changes. Is the MK very heavy?

I'm sure you have a very good neurologist. He\she should be your major participant in this discussion. We AGFers are well-intentioned, but have nowhere near the knowledge or expertise to give you proper advice.

I wish you good health and lots of guitar playing in the future!

best,

Rick
Old 10-18-2018, 03:00 PM

I don't know 5% of what your doctor FORGOT about the field of medicine but I do know about electricity and I'm not buying the diagnoses. Super low voltage/amps...unless you have a pacemaker I really dont get it. Even then....ahhh, no, I'm not getting it. Did you get an explanation of exactly HOW it affected you? Sounds like Urban legend #325 to me.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:32 PM

I have little doubt the electro magnetic activity of speaker magnets could cause a potentially serious health risk for someone with a pre existing condition. It’s a good time to hug an all solid wood North American made acoustic guitar.* Take care, all the best.

*speaking of, finally tried out a CEO-7 Martin recently. Wow! Very comfortable size for someone who prefers electric guitar compact dimensions.

Last edited by Jaden; 10-23-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:18 PM

Default Electric guitars and my health

Hi just reply to this thread . My wife is epileptic and has been for the last 45 years . Over the years ( the last 35 ) I have gigged and play live . On several occasions ( large live concerts ) she has to be very careful not to stand in the line of large PA speakers . The bass pressure tends to make her feel quite unwell . She could never and still can't stand in front of my amps this is one reason that I now play acoustic at home and never plug in unless it's during a gig or leading worship music . If she does come to a gig she always sits to the side and not directly in front and to be honest we don't play that loud now
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS

Last edited by 51 Relic; 10-22-2018 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:57 AM

Little late to the party, not sure if you would be still around or still have the guitar. I can not see how it could be an electrical matter, I am no Neurologist but I have been able to follow some of their published papers as of late. Try playing the guitar you have not plugged in but with the cable in the jack. It might be a case of how it sits on you. Otherwise put the amp farther away from you and play.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:07 AM

Something with the magnetic field. Had a petit mal seizure during an MRI and during the EEG. I sold the Michael Kelly Hybrid and returned the Boss Katana Amp. Gotta stay acoustic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars